1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asian-American sitcom 'Fresh Off The Boat" and more new racially themed ABC shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Victorious, May 14, 2014.

1. Victorious

Victorious Member

:cool:

Fresh Off The Boat - based off the memoirs of Eddie Huang

Just an ordinary family pursuing the American Dream...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mOutgc-GG6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black-ish - black family that is not black enough

Andre Johnson has a great job, a beautiful wife, Rainbow, four kids, and a colonial home in the 'burbs. But has success brought too much assimilation for this black family? With a little help from his dad, Dre sets out to establish a sense of cultural identity for his family that honors their past while embracing the future.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JNqqjDv6_dU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

American Crime - white daughter sexually assaulted, hispanic male suspect

At a time when nothing is black and white, one crime can infect so many lives.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0IT21Lzh8ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your thoughts?

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The Asian one doesn't look real.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Google says they're all real shows.

Finnally! Asian people on tv.

And none of them are Stephanie tanners boyfriend.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Dear lords of the television failed shows, can Anthony Anderson finally find a sitcom that's suitable for him and lasts more than two seasons (answer is BLACK-ish)... or lose more weight?!?!? :confused:

BLACK.

Who the F is writing these shows full of stereotypes... Donald Sterling?!?!

5. VanityHalfBlack

Not only that but it just looks awful and not funny or original. It's the same old bullsh!t Asians trying to find identity shtick that I've seen done a billion times. Yes, we get it, Asians don't have an identity,hahhahaha.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I cant take Fishburne's fatherly advice seriously

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I gotta watch that Asian-American sitcom. It stars Randall Park!
    Not gonna lie, it doesn't look all that entertaining, but Asian people so I'll watch.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Margaret Cho had a sitcom that was 10X better than that trailer and it got axed.

9. RedRedemption

If I had options, I would stay far away from this one, but considering that you have to start somewhere for Asian families to start appearing in more and more (and hopefully better) shows on television, I will accept the necessary evil of watching this show in order to start that chain reaction.

Also I've always been a fan of Randall Park, he's not the best actor, but **** it.

10. VanityHalfBlack

I'll watch it for sure, just hope it's at least funny and not the same old shtick I've seen a billion times before but I'll watch.

11. RedRedemption

Oh, it looks terrible and probably will be terrible. I'm going to lower my expectations to 0 lol.
    Everything funny about Asian culture would be too offensive to make fun of on public television, so they're just going to water it down and give us this PG-13 crap.
    Not only that but there are a lot of things about Asian culture that the typical American just won't understand, so it won't be as funny as it could be.

Its a shame.

Still, better than nothing I suppose.

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Reminds me of 3-4 years back when NBC tried a sitcom with Indian people "Outsourced". It was terrible and got canceled after 1 season. The Asian & Blackish show give off similar vibes.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The mom is total MILF material tbh...

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

A bit extreme example, but it illustrates the power of the media on the mass public. Interesting how before there were Arab and Persian villains, and now the new target is China (or North Korea). "... is that just as the masses do not understand the difference between Arabs and Persians, they don’t understand the difference between different sorts of Asians, either." People just eat up whatever is in the media.
    http://www.totalfascism.com/jews-pushing-hate-propaganda-against-asians/

Let's call it "nuanced racism" a la Sterling. Gone are the days of open racism with white hoods, but like Sterling, many people don't even know that they're racist. You'll never see an Asian male actor as a strong character in a lead role. But you will see Asians portrayed as asexual, martial artists with broken english, or crazy/ridiculous Asian character as the butt of the joke. You'll never see a "normal asians" that speak "normal english" and act ****ing normal - like a regular American who just happens to be ethnically Asian. In the Hangover, when I saw Mr. Chow in the scene where his pubes were longer than his tiny prosthetic nubbin (atleast I hope it was fake), I honestly laughed my ass off (in an uncomfortable cringing way). But it was funny. But later, I was p*ssed for him representing Asians like that and perpetuating false stereotypes for a cheap laugh. Ken Jeong is a court jester, a modern day eunuch degrading himself for the amusement of his King. The masses eat that up, the vicious cycle of stereotypes in society continues, losers like Ken Jeong make a killing. Its the only Asian male characters that sell. What does that say about our country?

#14 krnxsnoopy, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. RedRedemption

16. paunguye

paunguye Member

I'm Asian! I don't see a big deal... Will watch and support!

17. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Closet LOFs everywhere!!!

Just kidding I'm asian too.

But no, I won't be watching those sitcoms.

18. RedRedemption

I always make it a point to watch the pilots.
    No matter how bad (or how good) a trailer looks; looks can be deceiving.

19. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I prefer shows like The Profit and Shark Tank.

Not really in to that kind of shows.

I'm not judging though.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member