1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a Morey hater, i even think he's doing the right thing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jul 14, 2014.

1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i understand exactly what morey is doing years ago that's why i hate it

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

It was definitely a mistake, DM and Les Alexander thought they could sign a max fa and keep Parsons via RFA. I guess they never dreamed they'd get turned down by all the FAs AND Parsons would get the max.

Still though....its just Parsons. While a really nice player....its still just Parsons. You know, the same dude who said he was the best sf in the series and then got spanked by Batum for 5 straight games? We probably won't even miss him with both Troy Daniels for O and Ariza for D. I've certainly moved on, and I suggest you do as well. All this brouhaha about Parsons is driving me nuts. We're not talking about a star, we're talking about Parsons lol.

3. tadahito

tadahito Member

Just which "Elite" free agent did Morey think we had a realistic shot at signing that Morey was willing to gut our roster while simultaneously upgrading the rosters of TWO division rivals plus the Lakers?

1). Kyle Lowry: 5% chance? Lowry is the man and the team leader in Toronto. Why would he come here to be an 'asset' ?

2). Carmelo Anthony: 10% chance? Carmelo knows it's better to stay in the East especially after LeBron left the Heat.

3). Chris Bosh: 10% chance? Bosh was available only because LeBron was leaving Miami. Morey got close, but no cigar.

4). LeBron James/Dirk Nowitzky: 0.00% chance.

5). Who else was there? Lance Stephenson?

So that adds to 25% chance of getting "Elite" in return for gutting a 54-win team.

What kind of ****ed up "calculated risk" is this????

With Dwight Howard, the risk/reward profile was much better since there was about a 70+% chance to land him since the competition was not very strong(Lakers, Warriors, Atlanta, etc). Also, Morey only had to sacrifice PPat and Marcus Morris' contracts.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

Please stop pretending you know anything about probabilities

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I understand where you're coming from because I have a lot of respect for SAS and I was once in the camp of building the team's bench and so forth.

But, people need to understand that the Spurs are an anomaly. A system like there's is not feasible to replicate so easily.

Look at how the Spurs Model:
    - Drafted the best power forward in the history of the NBA in Duncan to a team that was already a 60 win team.
    - Were on the curve of going after international prospects to get Manu and Parker late in drafts.
    - Have a Top 5 coach of all time in Pop
    - The Duncan/Parker/Manu big 3 all took way less money to stay together.

Even then it took 20 years for them to get to where they are now.

That sequent of events are never going to happen again, especially in the Salary Cap Era the NBA is currently in. Cap Space is the most valuable thing a team can have and the best ways to use salary cap are players on rookie deals and super stars. Conversely, paying role players middling contracts is not a good way to use your cap room. Think of it like this, would you rather have Gerald Wallace (10M) and Brandon Bass (7M) or Kevin Durant for 17M. The answer is simple.

Yes, true star players are the best values in the NBA. Getting LeBron James for 20.7M/year or James Harden for less than 15M/year are the best ways to use cap. Same with players on rookie deals because that's when player are going to be cheapest.

This is how you're going to win championships in today's NBA. And that's how Houston is trying to build. Have three true superstar players use most of the cap then fill out the cap with players on rookie deals (Beverley, Jones, Johnson etc) and vet mins/MLE/exceptions.

6. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

THIS!

BTW - Where is all the BS coming from other posters that Batum completely dominated Parsons in the playoffs:

Parsons: 18.4 PPG; 7.0 RPG; FG .429 3PT . 400
    Batum: 15.8PPG; 5.8 RPG; FG .464 3PT .303

Looks like a slight edge for Parsons to me.

Yeah - we may have lost Parsons AFTER 14-15, but

1) We'd either have him for $965K for the entire season OR
    2) We'd be able to flip him at the trade deadline for picks or a good player OR
    3) We'd be able to extend him during the season.

ANY of those options are way better than losing him for absolutely nothing.
    This is Morey's biggest blunder, and it was totally self-inflicted.

I have no issues with the Ariza/Asik and Lin deals this offseason. (However I was pissed when we didn't resign Dragic over a 4th year player option a couple of years ago, and we signed Lin as a more expensive, but worse replacement).

We should have Dragic in the last year of his deal at $7.5M (before a player option year), and Parsons in the last year of his rookie deal at $964,750 if not for those two bad decisions.

Morey has made more good moves than bad moves, but this offseason is his worst, and is a borderline train wreck.

7. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I would take Ariza at 8per vs Parsons at 15per any day. I understood why he didn't match. I was more upset with him failing to bring in anyone to upgrade our roster. Our roster ad a whole wasn't that good to begin with and now we are even worse. My personal feelings are to tinker a little, but quit having this big overhaul every year. Please put a damn team together. But I really wanna see what he is going to do to bring in some good bench players and a PF.

8. plee

plee Member

Come on, you know and I know he was well UNDERPAID. He would have been pretty PO'ed about this during the season and as we can see be pretty vocal about it. I think Morey was giving him a chance to see what the offers would be and it would give us room to sign a FA. Now, Cuban's offer may have been thought of as a possibility but not a reasonable basketball move so that maybe his only mistake...just like Miami's crazy/desperate money on Bosh. Just move on...

9. downbytheriver

YUP, I echo these sentiments exactly. I DIDN'T LIKE MOREY AT ALL BEFORE THIS OFFSEASON, but he's definitely made the necessary moves so far

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was an Ariza fan before Chandler tagged along.... so back to where I have been

11. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Preach brother

12. houtown

houtown Member

Morey is a great GM, i just hope his ego doesn't get big and he gets full of himself. Thats what Houston fans have to worry about. He needs to hire a coach he hates rather than an OK man that he likes. Analytics is cool but not when taken to the extreme. U need people who understand people, like a Phil Jackson.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great observation. i would agree. except dragic isn't being paid the max, and trevor actually earned his contract.

but in fans emotions, yes travor will be the scapegoat, and we will always miss parsons.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

really? in spite of his awkward year with us?

15. Aleron

Aleron Member

Ariza last year was better at basket cuts (1.45 vs 1.03ppp), both had over 60 attempts and spot up shooting (1.09 vs 1.07ppp), both had near 400 attempts, he was also actually better at isolation (0.81 vs 0.62ppp) 60 attempts for Ariza, 90 for Parsons, that Parsons tried doing them despite being so unbelievably crap at them was one of my biggest frustrations.

In transition, Ariza was also better, 1.3ppp vs 1.19 on 300 attempts, the off ball skill Parsons had was coming off screens and hand offs, Parsons was about 0.2 ppp at both but took twice as many plays off screens and 50% more hand offs.

That was kind of my rub with Parsons, he'd be a much better player if he did what he was good at, instead he's been convinced he can become what he isn't, which ironically is what Ariza was the first time here.

#35 Aleron, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The biggest mistake wasn't letting Parsons go. I like Ariza better. It was bringing Mchale back another season. If we had a solid coach, I'd feel alot better. But for Morey to give Mchale another season after watching last season's playoffs, makes me question if Morey has a clue what he's doing now

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I just don't understand the benefit of letting Parsons out early. It had to be something behind the scene.

18. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Member

I think it's the eyecandy effect also. We've got Harden's beard to look at now.

19. butterball

butterball Member

We've unloaded Lin. This offseason is a success in my book.

20. SS0101

SS0101 Member

You just made up those numbers lol...too funny