1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Republic: Olajuwon may try to hang on

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The leaks and rumblings have begun ... hang on folks. Going to be an interesting ride this week:
    ------------------------------

<a href="http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0114nbacol.html">Olajuwon may try to hang on</a>

<FONT face="Arial" size="4">Olajuwon may try to hang on</FONT>
    Bob Young
    The Arizona Republic
    Jan. 14, 2001

After suffering from respiratory problems that landed him on the injured list for a good part of last season, Houston's Hakeem Olajuwon was prepared to make this his last season.

But Olajuwon's breathing isn't a problem anymore, and he has hinted that he might like to stick around. However, "The Dream" was placed on Houston's injured list last week because of a cyst in his right knee - a move that seemed to catch him by surprise - and there are rumblings that he might like to finish his career with another team.

"If I didn't want to play, I wouldn't be practicing," Olajuwon said when he learned he was placed on the injured list. He later said the team was just trying to be cautious.

One wonders.

No doubt, the Rockets probably would accommodate him if it meant getting out from under the $16.4 million Olajuwon will be paid this season. The rumor is that Olajuwon, who will turn 38 this month, believes he can play a couple more seasons and would like to do it in a warm climate.

Hmmmm.

Would the Suns make a deal? Not likely, considering what they'd have to give up to take on that kind of salary for a player whose future is questionable. But Olajuwon apparently understands that his market value isn't what it once was, and he might be willing to play a couple of seasons for a third of his current salary.

The question is, does Olajuwon have any game left?

The Suns would much rather have Dikembe Mutombo, despite his limited offensive skills, but that seems like a long shot, too.

The rumor mill surrounding Mutombo has quieted, but discussions still are going on. A league source said Vancouver offered Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Bryant "Big Country Gravy" Reeves to the Hawks for Mutombo, Roshown McLeod and a first-round draft pick.

The Hawks apparently rejected the offer because they wanted lottery protection for the draft pick.

But it's apparent the Grizzlies are looking for a deal. It's no coincidence that Reeves started, got 39 showcase minutes and scored 31 points Friday against Seattle. The Grizzlies need to get a draft pick because they must give Detroit a pick among the top 18 this year. If they don't, the Pistons get Vancouver's first-rounder in 2002, and it's only protected if it falls among the top five. If that pick is among the top five, the Pistons would get Vancouver's 2003 pick unless it's the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Stay tuned.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. T_money

T_money Member

interesting...
    Thx for the info clutch

Too much speculation to handle
    deep breathes, keep breathing then read on

[This message has been edited by T_money (edited January 14, 2001).]

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Clutch,

Does this mean the Rockets are paving the pr path for the Googs trade? [​IMG]

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I don't know if the hint is a deal with Phoenix or Vancouver...

Obviously, Clutch knows things he can't say yet, but since this is out in the open, he can post it. Sounds like Dream is gone ...

[This message has been edited by Sherlock (edited January 14, 2001).]

5. Sherlock

Is there anything to <a href="http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/122sd2.htm">Chicago's interest in Reeves</a> in this trade equation?

Would Chicago take Reeves without SAR?

Would they let Houston get SAR, if <a href="http://chicagosports.com/bulls/content/story/0,1984,129278,00.html">they somehow got Bibby</a> in the deal?

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you're the Suns, which position do you need more to become a better team-a center to replace Dudley (or whoever they have there) or a SF to take Marion's place...Uhh....take Marion's place? If the Suns are looking to contend, Hakeem helps them more than Reef, doesn't Colangelo own them, and isn't he in financial trouble (through Diamondbacks)?

Sherlock-Would Van trade Bibby and Reef in the same deal? Probably not.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

i have three cats.

------------------
    We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Olajuwon for Rodney Rogers [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The only player on the suns worth trading for would be Shawn Marion. If Olajuwon was going to be traded, the Suns would be the best choice. They would be contenders, and the Rockets would have a great young player. Vancouver would be horrible for the Dream. He should not have to end his career on a loser.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Is this another hint, Clutch? Is the "hand shake deal" possibly going down this week? [​IMG]

------------------

11. Sherlock

Vancouver is in a <a href="http://www.thestar.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=978928314643&call_page=TS_Basketball&call_pageid=9699077294 83&call_pagepath=Sports/Basketball">very interesting position</a> that makes a trade quite intriguing, and Bibby may not be out of the question.
    <OL>
    [*]The team they have assembled doesn't have the right chemistry. Individually, they have wonderful players. This team should be going to the playoffs. But they are soft. Everyone is SUCH good friends. Reeves no longer fits what they need at center, due to NBA rule changes, and is way overpaid. PF position is weak, although Othella is a great guy, but they have Swift coming along, even though there are jokes of him being "Slomile." Bibby is a pure PG, and certainly one of the top ten in the game, and is best friends with Dickerson, but has no fire. SAR will be an allstar, but also has no fire. The only guy with fire on this team is Dickerson, and maybe Swift. Dickerson is cheap and has huge potential. They need to break Bibby and Dickerson up up. So, that's why I think those three are going somewhere else (SAR, Bibby, Reeves).

[*] The Grizzlies are losing money. To the tune of 30 million this year. Attendance is down, the team isn't winning, and they can't keep operating the way things are. They would be better off unloading the big salaries, and somehow getting talent that will be future stars, get rid of unhappy players, and rebuild with cheaper guys. So, even though you hate to lose SAR and Bibby, they'll bring in talent and someone will take Reeves and other guys off their hands, just to get Bibby or SAR.

[*]The Grizzlies are headed south. Vancouver can't support an NBA franchise. They have to get the team profitable, streamlined, and with future talent that someone will want to buy and take to another market. Nobody wants to buy a team that doesn't have the potential to win, and is expensive to boot. They have to trade for potential talent and get draft picks.

[*] The can't afford to lose their first round pick. Due to <a href="http://www.vancouversun.com/grizzlies/stories/010109/5070192.html">poor trading in the past</a>, the Grizzlies owe the Pistons a first-round pick as compensation for Thorpe, Vancouver can send that pick, provided it is in the top 18, to Detroit this year. If not, the Pistons get the Grizzlies' first-round pick in 2002, provided only that it's not in the top five, or in 2003, provided it is not first over-all. So, they would love a pick from the Rockets that falls around 18, so they don't lose their lottery pick this year.
    [/list=a]

So, yes, I do believe Bibby could be in the deal.

I could see something going like this:

Houston sends Dream, Rogers, a #1 pick (ours or Milwaukee's), and 3 mil to Vancouver, & Thomas to Chicago. We end up with a 3mil exception.

Vancouver sends SAR, Othella, Price, and Massenburg to Houston, and Reeves and Bibby to Chicago.

Chicago sends Miller, Fizer, Crawford, Drew, Benjamin, #1 pick that Houston relieves, and 3 mil to Vancouver.

This works according to RealGM, and makes sense. Each team gets stronger, unload unhappy and bad fitting players and solves various problems.

1 - Dream and Rogers were on their way anway, and we get great value for them with SAR and Othella, although getting stuck with Massenburg and Price, and losing a draft pick and cap room next year. Kenny is a good fit in Chicago, and Carlos can back up three positions in Vancouver. I just wish we could unload the Wiz somehow in the deal. We solve our SF problem, although need to solve center in this year's draft.

Cato/Mo/SAR/Anderson/Francis w/Mobely off the bench again, where we need him most.

2 - Chicago gets a center they like, and lock in the PG position now with a potential future all star now, instead of later. They get much better immediately, with a better fitting backup in Thomas, but lose some rookies who are getting on their nerves.

They actually have their team of the future in Reeves/Brand/Artest/Bibby/Mercer.

3 - Vancouver gets cheap, has great future talent in Fizer, Crawford, Benjamin, a better center for them at less than half the price in Miller, unload unhappy players, some cash, a few great draft picks, and a solid economical player in Drew. This team has more fire, maybe the right chemistry, and they have more draft picks in a deep draft where they get a good big man or top SF. Vancouver fans rebel, Grizzlies sell the team to another market with a great future.

Dream/Swift/Fizer/Dickerson/Crawford

This trade is probably too big to happen, and it would depend on whether Chicago really does likes Reeves, but it would solve problems for each team.

---------------------------------------------
    the more I know, the more I don't know...

[This message has been edited by Sherlock (edited January 14, 2001).]

12. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

clutch -- i can't stand the suspense any longer.........AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

------------------

13. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

This trade would be good, but i stil dont wanna lose hakeem. I dont wanna lose the player that has meant so much to this team, that brought the first championship to houston. I hope theres some way we can pull a deal off without losing the dream.

------------------

14. silent j

silent j Member

I don't like my trades that complicated.
    How about a simple Dream for Googs and Dudley? Unfortunately, Dudley is under contract next season so we lose our cap space. You can make this deal more interesting by adding Carlos or (don't slam me) Anderson for Shawn Marion, but I don't know why Phoenix would do that. Come to think of it, I don't know why they would trade Googs for Dream, he's just a guy I'd like to have if we had to trade Dream.
    j

------------------

15. Summer Song Giver

Here we go again [​IMG].....Thanks for the scoop Achebe

------------------
    Now chew through my ball sack

16. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Dream for Ginger? read about IT

------------------
    We will ball.

17. Live

Live Member

Great info, Clutch!! [​IMG]

The important thing about this article is that Dream has basically given his blessings to any move that the Rockets can make. I only hope, as a Dream fan, that the Rockets move him to an up-and-coming team.

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston