1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you ready for a different style of ROX Ball??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kerry Mckee, Jan 3, 2006.

?

Are You Ready for a New Style of ROX Basketball?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2006.
  1. Yes, Fire Van Gundy!

52 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Yes, Keep Van Gundy, Force Him to Change His Style!

52 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. Yes, Bring in Iavoroni!

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. No, I Like this Crap!

51 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

I know that I am sick and tired of this walk it down the court slow dancing that Jeff Van Gundy loves. This crap is old! I look at other teams and how smoothly they pass the ball and shoot. This freaking team is awful, just plain pathetic. If you guys dont agree so be it, but I am ready for the ROX to fire Van Gumby and hire Marc Iavoroni of Phoenix as the new coach. The Rox should run the court with TMac, Head, Swift and get rid of every no shooting scrub that they have on this team like Bowen, Moochie, and Alston. :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. daRox

daRox Member

:rolleyes:

3. carolbmt

carolbmt Member

There's a lot more to the story than just changing style and getting "rid" of players / coaches. It's a business and we're locked into the decisions we've made. Injuries plague us this season, we'll get better, just be patient.

4. Freik

Freik Member

I'm sick of the injuries. I think if everyone was at 100% all season we would be right behind Dallas. Atleast we are going to get some good minutes for Swift and Head and can see how much they will be able to help the team when everyone else is back.

JVG is a good coach, its not his fault that people are getting hurt.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm ready to be over injuries and have a complete team that's healthy. How about that for starters?

I'm also ready for people to think back to the days of Rudy and Dream and the dump-it-in-kick-it-back-out offense that everybody else thought was boring, but somehow won 2 championships.

BTW, Sacramento and Dallas have had 2 of the greatest passing teams of the last decade. How many rings have they brought home? It's not about the style of play, but how you execute your style of play. I think if this boring offense were clicking it's good enough to win a ring simply because the defense is great (when healthy). And I sure as hell am willing to bet you wouldn't have started this thread at that point because it's amazing how boring offenses become not-so-boring when they win. ;)

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Oh...imagine that.

A fire VG thread disquised as a whine about uglyball.

way to be original. :rolleyes:

7. Got Em

Got Em Member

Dude, if you actually go to a Rockets game, you would see Van Gundy try VERY HARD to get his team to hurry up down the court. The problem is that Wesley can not play PG and Rafer is not fully back yet. Before Rafer was out, he used to run it up the court every chance he got. I'd give it another 10 games to see what this team is made of.

8. dude1394

dude1394 Member

That was then, this is now. The NBA has moved past that dump-it-in-kick-it-back-out offense. It is now dribble penetration and kick it out. Still a place for good post players, but that won't cut it anymore with zones being allowed. IMO.

9. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Kerry,

I feel your pain, but with a healthy Juwan Howard last year and without the injuries we've had this year, we'd be fine.

You just gotta ride this out and drink lots of beer after the games (like I do) to drown your angst!!!

-P1st, S2nd

10. Himalayas

Himalayas Member

I was confused watching Rafer's game with Rox, sometimes I wonder if this is the the same guy I have seen in Raptors. He used to penetrate a lot, he doesn't even give us a try now:confused:

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

actually
    i think that is part of the problem
    no one
    is penetrating

Rocket River

12. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

I know I'll get flamed for this but here goes. I think as long as you control the pace of the game and play your style of ball I have no problem with grind it out basketball. Go Rockets!!!

13. richirich

richirich Member

Uh, seems like all of that changed in the last coupla hours.... :D

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I never said we should go back to dump-it-in. I'm just saying until we started winning, that was boring basketball. Once we started winning it was great basketball for us and boring for everybody else.

15. droxford

droxford Member

What a lousy poll!

I like our half-court game, and I won't vote "No, I like this Crap" because is isn't crap. Running the ball up and down the court is much less strategic.

kids these days...

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

I think that works too but that depends on either being able to make open jumpers or crisp enough passing and moving without the ball to find seams something this Rox team hasn't been able to do well regularly. It also depends on a shutdown D and considering that teams have been regularly been able to score 90 against us we're not shutting teams down.

Everyone keeps on saying that we can't run or score a lot when if you look at tonights game and games we won during our winning streak we can and in the past two seasons have been winning more games on our O rather than D.