1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Are we just going to ignore the season Lance Stephenson is having?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Dec 29, 2013.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Last 5 games:
    18 PPG, 8.2 REB, 6.0 AST, 1.8 3PG, 51% FG, 93% FT

Averages on the season:
    14 PPG, 6.8 REB, 5.2 AST, 1.2 3PG, 49% FG, 37% 3PT

Pretty sure he is one of few players to average over 6 rebounds and 5 assists with LeBron included obviously.

His jumpshot is getting better and it seems like he might be on his way to stardom as well for the Pacers.

Stephenson and George complement each other pretty nicely and its looking like a star combo for years to come.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If he keeps it up, it won't be for the pacers, dude needs to get paid and Indiana are one of those teams that seem allergic to the luxury tax.

3. AFS

AFS Member

It's like what Jalen Rose said on his birdmester recap - if it wasn't for the Pacers, Stephenson wouldn't be in the league. He'll probably give the Pacers a discount to stay there.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How exactly did the Pacers keep him in the league? They are the team that drafted him, they didn't pick him up as a street FA.

Why would you expect him to give a significant discount, dude is still making pennies by NBA standards.

5. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Wasn't Born Ready also a second round pick like Parsons? Also, what are the chances he becomes their James Harden, traded because they can't pay him? And no, neither Lance nor Parsons should give their drafting team a discount. These dudes, based on production, are practically working for minimum wage by NBA standard.

1 person likes this.
  6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The only reason Lance would give the Pacers a discount IMO would be the situation he is in. It's a system that fits him on a Championship contending team that is young and will be a contending team for a long time and he will be a huge part of that.

But what constitutes a discount? What if Indy only offers him the MLE and someone else comes in and offers 8 to 9 mil a year? I don't think he is going to give up an additional 3+ million a year to stay in Indy. Maybe 1 million or even 1.5 million but I can't see a bigger discount than that even for Indy.

Something else to remember is that Danny Granger comes off of their books after this season. As good as Granger is I just don't see them resigning him unless he takes around the MLE or maybe even less considering that he has played all of 10 games the last 2 seasons and was not very good in those 10 games. That frees up 14+ million off of their cap. I don't think Indy will have an issue paying Lance what he is worth which is probably close to 10 million a season considering the defense he plays.

#6 crash5179, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Larry birds mentorship is a big reason

8. basketballholic

I agree. Stephenson would be in Europe if it weren't for Larry Bird. This is one kid that I thought was going to bust. I thought he was literally the worst player in the league and had no chance of having a decent career.

He still scares me with his off-the-court risk. I put him in Vernon Maxwell's class in that regard. Nothing would surprise me at this point. It's his on-court development and getting him to play within the team concept, which I never thought he would be able to do, that tells me Larry Bird is almost as special in the front office as he was on the court.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

LS is in an ideal situation for him. IMO Stevenson 'seems' like the kind of player/guy who in a less edenic personal place might become a nightmare for his new team: too much star thoughts in his head, too many shots etc etc etc.

My opinion.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Granger comes off, but the Paul George contract balloons. They would be about 7 million under the luxary tax before Stephenson. I still think they will re-sign him, but the will have to eat some tax money.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Indiana is nearly at the tax without counting Granger or Stephenson.

And Bird has been very straightforward about this and said that Indiana will have to make Harden/OKC type decisions.

I don't expect to see Stephenson in Indiana past this year. I don't really expect to see either Lance or Granger in Indiana, tbh.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Stephenson is definitely the glue guy for the Pacers, a la Parsons.

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I think they will have enough money if they are signing him around 7 to 9 million per year.

They still have Copeland (3mill/year), Mahinimi (4mill/year), George Hill (8mill/year) to potentially trade if they do need cap room.

14. Sanity2disChaos

I agree..he comes off as a jr.smith type of guy if you let him loose.

15. Sanity2disChaos

Granger is gone, lance ill re up. Lance is their glue guy and I really think his best days will be in Indiana.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like his game, but I like it even more that his attitude has changed over the years.

If I'm not mistaken, he's been part of a bunch of cheapshots in his career.

Even in HS, he had issues. Now it seems like he is battling to find an identity. Either he's going to be a major contributor or a goon like Matt Barnes.

With all of his facial expressions, big-shot dances and what not, he reminds me of a younger Ricky Davis.

Remember when Ricky purposely threw the ball of his own rim to get his triple double? That's the type of ish Lance would do.

He certainly has found a home with Indy though. 8-9 millie seems like too much, but I guess I'm biased because Chandler has gotten the financial shaft, even when his production is consistent and crucial to us winning any game.

I think Lance deserve 4-5 millie a year on a 3-4 year contract. Anything longer or more would be stupid. YOu can get his type of shooting all over the league. He's an asset on defense and as a guy that can handle point guard duties if he's forced to.

Heck, our former James Anderson is starting off and on after we got rid of him.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

A glimmer of hope is that the tax line might go up to some 75 mil.

I don't think Stephenson can be signed for 7 mil a year. More like 10-12 mil. A lot of teams will have cap room and a need, and they will know that if they overpay, the Pacers are likely pass. Unlike with Hayward/Jazz, Bledsoe/Suns or Parsons/Rockets.

I wouldn't want George Hill moved. I hope they can keep Scola. Maybe Bird tries to move Copeland. But other teams will go for the jugular in that situation, will probably have to add a pick.

Scary, but oh well. That's what happens when you have so much talent on a small market team.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Money talks don't think he will give them a discount if other teams offer big bucks

19. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Did anyone see C. Bosh with 37/10 and a game winning 3 against Portland. That was pure sickness. I wish the Rockets could get Bosh, trade Asik and whoever else is needed to get him. Have Brook and Jones be the spark on the bench.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This coming summer the Pacers are at 65 million or about 6.5 million under the tax threshold. They have about another 6.5 million in un-guaranteed salary that they can cut if need be. So prior to signing Lance, if they renounce Granger cut their un-gaurunteed contracts (including Scola) they could create about 13 million to sign Lance prior to hitting the tax threshold.

That scenario also assumes the tax threshold stays at 71,748,000. More than likely it will increase some which would add a little more to what Indy would be willing to spend. What ever happens I assume Granger and his salary are gone. I would also assume that the Pacers would try to sign Lance early in the process to prevent a bidding war which would eat into their cap space.