1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we better without Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. yao123

yao123 Member

we were dam lucky today that everyone was on their game face....NO WAY THEY ARE BETTER WITHOUT YAO MING

2. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

Umm it's the Houston Rockets, the possibility of choking is always there. We've lost all the other games Yao's missed this season and we win one and now we aren't that much worse off without him?

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think we are better when we don't try to force feed Yao and get him the ball in the flow of the offense. Yao is not good enough to force feed.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

i'm sure you haven't seen our chokes in the 4th haven't you?

again people need to relax. nobody is saying we're better without yao. what most are saying is we can do fine without yao. it's better to play WITH yao of course.

5. Codman

Codman Member

Why oh why can't we just enjoy wins like this? It's useless to think about whether or not the team is better without Yao. Even if the ball movement is better, we're still missing a guy who consistently bags 20 and 10. So, no, we are not better without Yao. We just happened to play well and execute down the stretch tonight.

6. durvasa

durvasa Member

Win/loss record with and without Yao the last three years. Draw your own conclusions, keeping in mind who else was on the team. For example, I believe McGrady missed a greater percentage of his games when Yao was playing.

Code:
    season   with Yao      without Yao
    06/07     32-16          20-14 
    07/08     36-19          19-8
    08/09     42-23           2-2 
    total    110-58 (65%)    41-24 (63%)

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

we're 2-2 without him this year.

1st one was against dallas where tracy was really injured and still in his bad phase

2nd was to knicks where we should have won if not for ron and tracy being stupid.

all i'm saying is (if you read the GARM when it was announced yao would be out and most say we have no chance) we always do a great job when yao is out.

8. crunch

crunch Member

This indeed proves we are better without Yao. And more importantly, we have won every game which Deke has started in this season. Therefore, we will win the world title this year as long as we start Deke every game from now on.

9. gwatson86

gwatson86 Member

As I was watching the game, I thought to myself, "Who's gonna post the obligatory 'Are we better without Yao?' thread?" What an idiotic question.

I mean, just think of how much better we'd be if we dumped Artest too. :rolleyes:

10. SalvadorRocket

No kidding! C'mon guys! We're DEFINETELY not a better team without Yao.

Yeah, Deke was awesome, but at his age, the more he plays, the less efficient he'll become.

Let's not kill the win with stupid question's like this?

11. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

My bad. I forgot about the Detroit win. Save for tonight's win, they've really looked bad in all the other games.

#51 rocketsregle, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  12. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Are we better w/o Yao...Probably not.

I do think that Adelman could do a lot more with this team if he didnt have a slow Yao who can only play one style of basketball. Adelman's motion offense is a thing of beauty.

Around the 3 minute mark of the 4th when the game was close I could see the rockets tightening up and trying to force feed Yao and seeing a couple of turnovers and letting the momentum swing the Hornets way. Instead (since Yao was out today) we just kept running adelman's offense and it lead us to a victory. I honestly don't think it would be a bad idea to take Yao out of the game in the final few minutes. Yao is dominant for 3 quarters, but becomes a liability (most of the time) in the 4th.

13. Slumdog

Slumdog Member

when i read your post.... I laugh :eek:

14. yearning

yearning Rookie

IBTL. 1 star thread.

15. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

If Yao misses a few more games, we'll find out more. But it'd be like the Rockets when they were rolling without Tmac and then Tmac had to reintegrate and play team ball for the 22 streak. Maybe instead of working around Yao, Yao can rejoin and try to fit in with they type of ball that happened tonight. I think in that case, Deke will have to play off the bench for it to balance out right (as oposed to Deke not playing at all).

16. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Are we better without Yao?

HELL TO THE NO!!!!

I mean c'mon, Deke needs a backup :)

17. OlajuwonShake34

Shocker, I never saw this coming :rolleyes:

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

With Yao, we have tons of unnecessary turnovers that kill us in the 4th. Those turnovers include Yao turning into the double team, players throwing horrible passes to Yao, and Yao not sealing his man correctly.

If we can solve those turnover problems...

Rockets with Yao > (By a lot) Rockets without Yao.

By a lot, I mean more than the 2% that Durvasa showed earlier.

19. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Oh man thanks for the post. I was really hoping someone would post the total percentages. As you can see the Rockets are almost the same with or w/o him and would probably not be stupid to trade Yao for a few Adelman type players and let Adelman do his thing. We have seen Yao's ceiling and IMO it is just not that impressive. We focus too damn much trying to run an offense around him. While it can be pretty effective a lot of the times, it can also be a liability because its too easy to get Yao out of his offensive game. And you can expect for teams to try their hardest to get Yao out of his game come playoff time.

20. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I now know why many people don't visit this bull**** site anymore.

ALL OF YOU GUYS(including Clutch himself) are ****ing ridiculous.