1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Are the NBA teams going a little to much overboard with the International players?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Justin, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Justin

Justin Member

Of course one of the big topics of the draft was all the international players getting took and how it robbed some of the college players that most likly would have got took in the second round 2 or 3 years go. The plus side for international players is they grow up learning the basics and fundamentals unlike the American players who grow up and learn the fancy moves and Dunks supposivley. Also the international players play profesional leagues at a younger age. The problem is with the sudden intrest in forien players I can think of only 4 players that would start on an average NBA team Dirk Nowitsky, Steve Nash, Pega Stoyocovick, and Pao Gasol. I know their isn't alot of forien players in the NBA right now at least veterans so its hard to tell how good they our but what I have seen so far I hate especially watching the Dallas Mavericks play and all they do is light it up from the 3 point line with their international players. Dont get me wrong thats good talent to be able to shot like that but its boring to me I dont want to see a fast break were a 7ft man ends it with a lay-up. Right you look at the best players in the NBA and lots of them our Highschoolers that can dunk and still hit a jumper such as Kobe, Kg, and Tmac. I think some of the NBA teams should stop going so rapidly for international talent I can see the NBA teams going for the real good players but when your in the second round I wish the NBA teams would not pick a player just because hes international and hes going to be able to shoot.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually there are more foreign players, Hakeem, Duncan, Divac, Nesterovic, Seattle's center who's name escapes me, Mutombo, and many more. You say you don't want to see a 7ft big man who ends a break with a lay-up, 2 points is 2 points, but I don't want to see a half-court game stalled because a 7ft player can't set a pick, or only knows how to dunk, and can't shoot 5 feet from the basket, or is so devoid of fundamentals that he's just happy to get by on athletics after signing a huge contract *cough* Cato *cough*. People get caught up in dunks, but fundamental and team basketball, the non-flashy stuff, is what wins games, and what wins championships. Dunks just get you on SportsCenter.

#2 RocksMillenium, Jul 1, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2002
  3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Rocksmill, I've wondered this for a while, do you mean to make fun of Cuttino in your signature?

4. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Nah, he's just showin' off the most hilarious quote in the history of basketball...

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trends come and go

Right now. . INternational play a DIFFERENT brand of basketball.
    NOT BETTEr . .. NOT WORSE . . . just different. IT may swing
    to them for a minute but te american game will adapt . . take
    come components of it .. . but will keep alot of it's own components.

The result will be a sythesis of the two . . .
    maybe a better products

While everyone says. . . Americans lack fundamentals
    yadda yadda yadda . . . all they do is dunk . . .
    Try to get on sportscenter

THEY WOULD NOT WANT THE GAME WITHOUT IT!!!
    [The highlights] ELSE THE WNBA WOULD BE A MORE
    WATCHED SPORT

Rocket RIver

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The NBA is forced to go international because of all the kids who choose to leave school early, or skip college altogether. I don't know that it's a trend, it's just that with all the kids in the US skipping school, they don't know how to play basketball. Once kids stop coming out early, there will be less international players taken in the draft.

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i think there will be more foreign players every year. because Basketbal wasn't very popular in europe. but it is beginning to become more popular every day. It is not like europeans can't play any sport. There are more good foreign players, and there wil be more in the future, basketbal is more popular. and if a sport is popular there are more children playing it, so watch the foreign players.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think there is a general trend of American players neglecting fundamentals that has made Europeans (and some other foreigners to a lesser extent) more valuable to the NBA. However, it looks like there is an element of fad in it as well where everyone is picking up Europeans as the next hot thing and a lot of them will be NBA busts simply because they were overvalued in the first place. We had a fad of highschoolers; now we have a counterfad of Europeans; eventually, it may come full circle and the fad will be experienced Div I college seniors.

But, there is another element at work in the second round. Teams that don't have money and/or roster slots to accomodate their picks can go international to get a guy with potential and will know they won't have much trouble with the guy staying in Europe until they need him. This is a low-stakes, potentially high-reward drafting strategy. We will see how well it works this year with Ginobili and Jaric. It worked pretty well with Detroit's Rebraca.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The international players are better. It's not just some trend like fashion. They get it done on the court. They play a complete game with better fundamentals.

Jumping and dunking will only get you so far.

10. Socrates

Socrates Member

I don't buy all this crap about picking the euros as being a fad. The NBA sends their scouts to Europe to scout these guys just like they scout the American kids.

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Here is a pretty good article that discusses the issue.

The above statement, to quote from the article, sounds like the typical "resentment from some quarters of the black sporting public." Barkley's a pontificating putz, but there was an element of truth to be found in his little diatribe on draft night- the US system of developing players is internally flawed. AAU is a higher priority for most young players than high school ball, since it showcases them to a wider audience. College coaches presume that their players are beyond such trivial drills; the 'little things', the making the left hand layups coming from the right side, filling the lanes, making the right decision on a 3 on 2 break.....all are neglected, as Juan Valdez said, even though this fact is overrated by many "purists"....ahem, BobFinn* ;)

Sure, some GM's, given two players with the requisite skills to play in the NBA, one American and one European, may opt for the European because they're more aesthetically appealing, and why not? It's good for the game.

We're on the threshold of a new Golden Age in the NBA, and the globalization of the game has played no small part in making that a reality.

12. TexasG

TexasG Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is some element of fad in it. That applies more to the teams that don't scout the Euro leagues and draft players simply because they're from Europe. There are some teams that send scouts and coaches to Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America to scout those leagues. They are not picking those players just to be picking an international player, they are picking them because they have done their homework and know for a fact that they're good players.

I think with more international players being taken it's only going to help the NBA. The International players will continue to get better. That will only force the American born player for focus more on fundamentals as well as the fancy stuff. If the American born players want to get selected before the international players they must adapt (and I think they will). It's only going to make the talent pool much better. In the next 10 years we will see teams with 3 and 4 superstars as oppose to just 1 or 2.