1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP Poll out [NCAAF]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tulexan, Dec 2, 2007.

1. tulexan

tulexan Member

AP Top 25
    1. Ohio State (50) 11-1 1,578
    2. LSU (11) 11-2 1,519
    3. Oklahoma (1) 11-2 1,423
    4. Georgia (1) 10-2 1,421
    5. Virginia Tech (1) 11-2 1,380
    6. USC 10-2 1,346
    7. Missouri 11-2 1,195
    8. Kansas 11-1 1,164
    9. Florida 9-3 1,071
    10. Hawaii (1) 12-0 1,050
    11. West Virginia 10-2 1,040
    12. Arizona State 10-2 939
    13. Illinois 9-3 797
    14. Boston College 10-3 668
    15. Clemson 9-3 614
    16. Tennessee 9-4 554
    17. Texas 9-3 517
    18. Wisconsin 9-3 447
    19. Brigham Young 10-2 439
    20. Cincinnati 9-3 394
    21. Virginia 9-3 344
    22. Auburn 8-4 264
    23. South Florida 9-3 246
    24. Boise State 10-2 221
    25. Arkansas 8-4 173

Others Receiving Votes
    Texas Tech 137, UCF 35, Connecticut 31, Oregon 30, Oregon State 30, Michigan 26, Air Force 17, Kentucky 13, Penn State 1, Wake Forest 1.
    Dropped From Rankings
    Oregon 18.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

2. Kam

Kam Member

Hawai'i got a first place vote!

I hate how Ohio State is number 1, just because everyone else above them lost.

That's crap. You looked good because you did not play.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

WHoever voted for Kansas should have his/her license revoked.

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Exactly these 1 loss teams OSU and Kansas don't deserve the ranking they got because of their cupcake schedules.

I still say Oklahoma should play LSU for the REAL national championship.

5. weslinder

weslinder Member

Forget schedules. If teams with 2 losses can get 14 votes for the best team in the nation, and the only team with no losses only gets one vote, the system sucks.

6. IROC it

IROC it Member

Who cares what happens in the "title" game... if Hawaii wins they should claim the national title... I know I'd give it to them.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hawaii would be .500 in the Pac 10, Big 12, and SEC. They can play somebody if they want a shot.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hawaii is undefeated they should be ranked higher as should Kansas....

LSU has lost twice, and could have lost 2 or 3 others...they are not all that great of a team.

Ohio State and Kansas have the same scheduling issues, but no one is complaining about Ohio State backing into the title game.

Ugh, we need a playoff.

DD

9. Zac D

Zac D Member

o rly?

I really don't like Ohio State and I'm pretty sure they'll get creamed by LSU - BUT. The system didn't have a choice but to put them in the championship game. They're a one-loss champion of a major (****ty, but major) conference. The way things are currently constructed, there's no alternative to having OSU in the title game.

10. the futants

the futants Member

A bit off topic, but when do the new NCAA basketball polls get released?

Sorry...no intention of derailing thread...

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I predict another round of watching Ohio State get the crap kicked out of it by a team from a real conference.

Side note: The national title game should always include a team from the SEC - it is by far the best (toughest) conference.

12. weslinder

weslinder Member

Not really. None of the big boys want to play Hawaii. The good teams from the top conferences refuse to schedule powerful teams like Hawaii from second-tier conferences because they don't want to lose. Hawaii schedules who they can, run the table. The teams that didn't want to play them don't have as good a year, and then their coaches and supporters argue that Hawaii shouldn't be considered because they didn't play a team as powerful as them. It's a sham, really.

It was never this bad before the BCS. If we didn't have a BCS, voters would be voting Hawaii into the Top 5, at least.

13. Jebus

Jebus Member

I don't understand that last point at all. It's funny, the voters are still around, and just happened to vote Hawaii to the same spot as the BCS, in both polls. Are you suggesting that every voter in both polls predicted where Hawaii would end up in the BCS poll and voted them there (a neat trick, since a large component of the BCS is the polls themselves)? Or maybe that the voters coordinated and some agreed to vote Hawaii higher and some lower just to make sure they would be number 10 in the end, again somehow due to the presence of the BCS (which, again draws largely from the polls themselves)?

I'm no BCS lover, but these arguments you've made are not exactly the strongest case against it.

As for the rest of the post, I can't believe that Hawaii tried all that hard to schedule games against teams from good conferences. You're telling me NO TEAM (besides Washington, a 4-9 team from the PAC-10 they BARELY beat at home) from the Big Ten, PAC-10, Big 12, SEC, Big East, or ACC would play them? I doubt it.

You're telling me the best they could do was Northern Colorado (who was 1-11 in Division I-AA wow that's a bad one), UNLV (2-10 in Mountain West), and Charleston Southern (5-6 in Division I-AA) was the best they could do? Come on now. At least schedule games against Division I-A, or good teams from I-AA.

Well maybe it's true. Maybe the bigger conferences were afraid of teams from the mighty WAC. Let's see what other teams from their conference got.

Fresno State got games against both Oregon and Texas A&M. Nevada got a game against Nebraska. Louisiana Tech got games against Cal and LSU. San Jose State got games against Stanford, Kansas State and Arizona State. Utah State got a game against Oklahoma. New Mexico state got a game against Auburn. Idaho got games against USC and Washington State.

that's just teams from their conference. If you want to include teams from other small conferences, there's schools like Troy, who managed to schedule Arkansas, Florida, and Georgia this season, and last year scheduled Nebraska, Florida State and GA Tech.

And if you want to argue that big schools don't want to schedule "powerful teams like Hawaii"- you know that schedules are made years in advance, right? Hawaii hasn't been a so-called "powerhouse" for that long. You think big schools were shaking at the thought of scheduling a 2007 game against big bad 5-7 Hawaii in 2005?

I just don't buy that they tried that hard. It's easier to sit back and play a cake schedule and complain about it (and still get the gargantuan BCS payout even though you never played anyone of consequence beforehand) than it is to search out a tough game or two and risk irrelevance when you lose it. It's not exactly fair that they should have to go out of their way to schedule tough out of conference games, but it is what it is. The fact is their conference opponents stink, so they need a beefier non-conference schedule to be measured against.

They'll have their chance in the Sugar Bowl vs a Georgia team that may be letting down a little since they felt they got slighted by being left out of the MNC game (I disagree, but that's a whole other argument).

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

the best 2 teams in the country right now are USC and UGA, and they have been for the last 5 weeks or so.... and yet neither one of them are playing for the national title.

college football is such a crock a ****.

it will be fun to see ohio state exposed yet again.

15. leroy

leroy Member

I do remember UT backing out of a game with them a few years ago.

16. Jebus

Jebus Member

Interesting, I don't remember this. Any idea why? Are you suggesting that UT was afraid of them?

Maybe it has to do with another problem for Hawaii, which will never be solved- location. While I'm sure players love the idea of going to Hawaii, I can't imagine teams are thrilled about the long travel to and from Hawaii for a game, and the time change, etc..

Or maybe Texas was actually afraid of them, although I doubt it. In any case, I don't think it changes anything I said. so they tried one team out of all the major conferences. Did they keep trying? who did they try to schedule?

All of these "The big boys are afraid of them" arguments would be much more powerful with some proof. I think if they want to talk about it, the Hawaii people should say, "we tried to schedule games with teams X, Y and Z, and all refused".

And not scheduling bottom-feeders from I-AA would certainly help.

edit: just found out that the combined records of the opponents on Hawaii's schedule for 2008 ranks 119 out of 119 in division I-A.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2007/11/21/bmurphy/boise_states_schedule_hawaii_prediction

you can't tell me they couldn't avoid scheduling the absolute weakest schedule in the country.

#16 Jebus, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  17. Major

Major Member

Pretty much. UT blamed it on cost at the time. It just so happened that Hawaii had a great season the year before, and UT had a bad habit of losing early season non-conference games at the time. And UT has biggest budget of any football program in the country, and plenty of other teams manage to go there all the time... Did UT really figure out that summer, a few months before the game, that it was suddenly too expensive?

Hawaii tried to play @USC, @Michigan and a couple of other places. No one was interested for the simple reason that there's no benefit to these teams. If you win, it was supposed to happen. If you lose, it's a huge upset.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3118572

Hawaii coach June Jones wanted his football team to open the season at Michigan. The Wolverines wouldn't play the Warriors and instead hosted Division I-AA Appalachian State, which beat Michigan 34-32 in one of the biggest upsets in college football history.

Hawaii was scheduled to play Michigan State this season, but the Spartans paid $250,000 to cancel the game. Jones tried to replace the Spartans with Southern California, but even the Trojans wanted no part of quarterback Colt Brennan and the Warriors' high-octane offense.

Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan can only wonder why Hawaii doesn't get the same respect as Kansas.

"We offered to play everybody," Jones said. "No one wanted to play us."

18. weslinder

weslinder Member

Just look back a few years before the BCS. If a team went undefeated, no matter who their opponents were, they wouldn't have to fight to get to the Top 10, especially not behind a bunch of 2 and 3 loss teams. I think the computer rankings affect the voters' perception of the teams.

Major covered the rest of the fraud better than I could.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Fresno has been a better program than Hawaii over the years and they play the big boys. BYU usually gets big boys on their schedule too.

In Hawaii's case they probably only get to schedule away (unless a rich West Coast school wants to send their team for a trip)--but they can get their shot.

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Utah got to #6 in the BCS and #5 in the computers, and if they had that kind of year this year they might have been in the NC game.

Computers should affect voters perceptions. If you perceptions are widely divergent from the computers they probably need to be adjusted. Not that they (comp polls) are perfect or a full solution.

Yes Hawaii is undefeated. Computers nor betters nor experts would anywhere near have them as the best team in the land, 12-0 record or not.

The fault lies in the current system only having the 1-2 game. Hawaii is no more screwed by it than OU, SC, Georgia, or VT--who at least beat top 15 teams this year and could make a case they might be the best team and should be in NC game. Hawaii is actually benefiting by the top 12 auto qualifier from small conference going into the BCS, because they are less than 10th in the computers (in fact not top 10 in ANY computer poll) and if you just took the top 10 teams from more objective indicators, and made up the BCS teams, Hawaii is out.