1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Anyone here have Lupus or experience with it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Jan 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My gf is having symptoms similar to it without the signature rash that occurs with it. It started with her thumb joints randomly swelling up and becoming very painful to use. Then it spread to her left wrist and her whole hand swells up. She also has fatigue when the swelling occurs. So the arthritis and the fatigue seemed like red flags for some sort of autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus or something odd. She has had a ton of basic tests done but decided to get a 2nd opinion after the 1st doc was ordering tests that didn't even make sense like a liver ultrasound. She also tested for hepatitis twice and she wanted to do another std test after doing one two weeks prior to that. Anyhow, her liver enzymes were on the high side but nothing crazy. She also has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. She isn't obese, probably could stand lose 20-30 lbs, but she does need to change her eating and exercise habits.

Also, she had the RA test and ANA test but everything was normal there. The doc who she got a 2nd opinion from took another blood sample today and she said she would hold off on doing 3 more autoimmune disease tests since they are expensive. We will end up getting them done but she doesn't see the rheumatologist until the end of next month so it is no major hurry. The 2nd doc did worry that it was lupus and that tends to make more sense with the symptoms but I guess we won't know too much more until the testing is done and until she sees the rheumatologist. I wish she would have reminded me that the appointment was today so I could have gone to the doc with her to ask questions but oh well maybe next time.

So...if anyone here has lupus any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. I have done basic research on the web but I just wanted to post here to see what others had to say.

2. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I have a friend who has it, she is able to control it fairly well by being incredibly heath conscious. She watches her diet, eats healthy, natural foods and exercises regularly.

She works real hard at this and I admire her for it. I do believe the effects can be lessened by a holistic approach.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

good to hear. that is kind of what i am getting by doing some reading on it. so it seems like there is hope to lessen the flare ups. who knows maybe this could be a serendipitous event if we can clean up our eating habits and cut the garbage out of our diets.

4. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

A liver u/s does make sense if her enzymes are elevated and she is overweight. She could have fatty liver or autoimmune hepatitis. Lupus in the absence of a positive ANA would be pretty uncommon. The more expensive tests i.e. anti-smith anti-dsdna etc... are almost always negative in patients with negative ANA.
    I agree that it sounds autoimmune and seeing a rheumatologist early will give you the best approach. Cutting out bad stuff in your diet will likely have no effect unless it is something like gout.

Is your girlfriend African american? Sometimes sarcoidosis presents in young people with normal blood work.

5. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

A friend of mine had similar problems with her wrists and it went away. The fatigue didn't go away though. Then she had some episodes with her vision, and the doctors now think she might have MS.

It's probably too early to tell if it is something neurological right now, but if some other symptom pops up, it is possible.

6. Chopped

Chopped Member

i thought it was never lupus?

[​IMG]

7. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Damn you beat me to it.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

nope she is mexican/puerto rican and she is 26. i guess she wanted the 2nd hepatitis test and ultrasound just to be sure on the health of the liver. maybe my gf didn't understand what the doc was saying or maybe the doc didn't explain why the ultrasound was necessary well enough. the 2nd doc did feel like the liver ultrasound wasn't needed but we may just have to get it done anyway.

9. g1184

g1184 Member

[​IMG]

... but seriously, I have no idea.

10. witness

witness Member

my ex and her mom had it. unfortunately, they had the worst cases and passed away due to the illness. it's really important to be health conscious and to try to have as little stress as possible. i remember stress could be a big trigger of symptoms. there are many in the world that live fairly normal lives with it. the singer seal is an example of one of them.

11. Landlord Landry

my friends wife had it, but only while she was pregnant.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hey Robbie , my wife has lupus but I don't know what to tell you. It's an enigmatic and quite individualized disease. I got all scared and mopy when she was diagnosed but then I decided screw it, it's the quality of life not the quantity and I have been trying really hard to make her happy.

It turns out though she will probably live into her 80's. The doc says hers is about a 3 in a 1-10 of being bad.

She takes meds, has a little bit of a weird rash, get tired sorta easy and gained some weight from taking prednisone. She's just joined a health club though and I think she will come back to close to her old perky, average sized self.

But you don't know anything until the Rhumatologist takes 8 viles of blood and runs a lot of tests.

We thought we had watched every episode of House ever, what's the deal with the Lupus joke?

13. DJNICK

DJNICK Member

Make sure that her doctor checks her ESR, CCP, and uric acid as well.