1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone else go to Galveston last this weekend?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mfastx, Oct 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Just got back from Galveston and the water is spectular! No I am not being sarcastic, it was actually clear, like a lake or something. Check it out:

[​IMG]

This picture doesn't begin to show how clear it was, unbelievable. I mean it was crystal clear, like water in a bathtub. Anyone else seen it like this?

2. homeboy1

homeboy1 Member

are you sure you just didn't take a wrong turn and ended up somewhere else? awesome pic.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if you're down there regularly, you know this happens with great frequency. has something to do with the flow of silt from the mississippi river.

4. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

It looks more like surfside beach

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Max, are you saying we should dam the Mississippi? Having it flow towards Florida instead?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

sounds good to me!

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I only go there about 5 or so times a year, so I guess I am missing a lot of good days. The water was almost like this in August 2009 but it was still a little murky.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I've only made it once where the water was nice and blue/clear.

Of course, I only go to Galveston like once every 3 or so years.

9. chestr

chestr Member

fuuuuuu i live on galveston near stewart beach but didn't go this weekend. had no idea it was so nice

which beach was this taken at?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As a kid we went down there a lot, and I can only recall that happening about 2 or 3 times, it was amazing to be able to see your feet when you are up to your nipples in water.

DD

11. YaosDirtyStache

Atleast you remember what your feet look like sir, I am sure the last 20 yrs they have been a mystery to you.

3 people like this.
  12. tested911

tested911 Member

I'm so glad this thread popped up... I went on a fishing charter (Galveston Party INC) and the waves were like 1/2-1 ft high and this is 60-90 miles out.. When we headed back to shore the damn water was still as my damn pool in mid August.. I was like WTF is going on? The water looked like glass during sun set.. Me and a couple of buddies saw the sun set in such an amazing picturesque setting.. Everyone on the boat was taking pictures and it was such a good way to end the day after catching some RED Snapper!!

13. Summer Song Giver

I'll do it if DD won't; you sir, are a dick.

14. YaosDirtyStache

:( I always joke around with DD! He and I are xbox friends!

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I've seen it like that before on a number of occasions. I think it happens when the wind is coming from a more northerly direction.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I have some pictures from Galveston when I was a little kid and the water was very blue green. In the spring and fall the water can clear up like that if the weather is favorable.

17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I spent many, many days surfing in Galveston, Surfside, Matagorda and I never saw the water close to that clear.

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Heh I live 5 min from the galveston beach and I never woulda known about the clear water if I hadn't read it here.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The pic was taken on the seawall across from the San Luis (not where I was staying lol).

Exactly! In August of last year (when it was almost as good as this) I was able to see the basic outline of my feet, and I thought that was amazing. But this time, I was even able to make out my toe hairs. Incredible!

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

From my time fishing, I would find that it got really nice when there was a strong North wind. Usually, that happens in the Winter, and it's not really beach weather. But there are certainly times in the Spring and Fall with a North wind and it's not that cold.