1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Unarmed Black Man Killed by Police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T.Mcgrady, Aug 28, 2014.

1. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

According to the family's attorney in the video he was leaning on a pellet gun he picked up in the toy aisle and talking on the phone with his back toward officers when he was shot on sight. Surveillance video exists of the incident.

Furthermore, Ohio is an open carry state. I wonder why the NRA isn't outraged?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ed-walm_n_5721676.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

2. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Another poorly written article that obviously leaves out important information.

Some asshat called 911 and reported that a man had a gun. I'd like to know how it was dispatched. This is very important.

It was a pellet gun (I'd be careful calling it a toy as it can put your eye out). It looks like a gun that shoots traditional bullet. I damn sure don't want to get hit with a pellet gun. It doesn't look like an orange plastic gun. Pellet guns are often wooden and metal.

Regardless, an officer can only base his actions on what he knew at that time.

How were they dispatched? What did the guy with the gun do? He was probably not holding it like the 2nd amendment activist do while they're walking through the mall with it slung over their shoulder. People with toy guns get shot often enough, justifiably so. Sounds like this guy didn't know the cops were even there.

I'm glad I'm not, 1: involved with this incident, and 2: on the jury for this case.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You are not a bright person. Very likely to be educationally subnormal.

4. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Attack the poster rather than remarking on the issue. Can't say I'm surprised.

You know absolutely nothing about my educational background. Don't make assumptions about me please. You're embarrassing yourself.

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

6. Bandwagoner

Make rational posts and this won't happen. Think through the logic in your statement and you will understand the problem.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

It's not just about race, it's about the police killing an unarmed black man. This has been a far too often recurrent theme. And often, the officer(s) responsible for the incident walks away unscathed.

Just to be clear, that's a tragedy also NotInMyHouse, and it looks like nobody is being held accountable there also. what point are you making exactly? Look, here's another case of possible police abuse, it involves a white person so race must *not* have been an issue here by proxy. Right?

What alarms me more than anything else is the culture being propagated by many PD's starting from the top.

Take this video for example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UXr9mG99JI&google_comment_id=z13kgbujntyvzr0qn04cdjqq4unrcvbqpko0k

A group of black men were pulled over by the police and decided to begin recording the stop. The situation escalated to the point that gun's were drawn. One of the gems in this vid:
    In response to this video, the police chief of that particular department attempted to justify the actions of his department. It's pretty long, rather than post it here you can just look at the YT comments page. The chief of police believes that citizens should fear the police.

The only thing I fear about the police is the lack of accountability, examples of which are being disseminated via the media on a daily basis.

9. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Rather than attack me, why don't you explain where my logic is lacking? Contribute something to the discussion or stop posting. No one wants to see your bull**** until then.

10. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Lots of police shootings of unarmed men are justified. Even white men killing white men. My coworker was involved in one last year I can cite...and he was no billed.

Also, the guy in this case was technically armed. From a distance I can't tell it's a pellet gun. And I don't know what they were dispatched. Don't get caught up in someone being "unarmed."

11. Bandwagoner

I had someone tell me that an ape (he said monkey) did the same thing Neil Armstrong did. I just told him he was a moron because someone that misguided can either figure it out themselves or forever be ignorant.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Who police the police? Need an independent non to partial-government body to investigate serious compliant against police. DA is too involved with PD to be that. PD investigating themselves isn't worth anything much.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell I don't think they even keep real stats on their crimes/ complains

http://gawker.com/what-ive-learned-from-two-years-collecting-data-on-poli-1625472836

Rocket River

14. Bandwagoner

The citizens do but they have been sold a line a bull that because of a shootout 20 years ago the police need to have a military mindset. Therefore cops shoot first and ask questions later.

15. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

First, thank you Anas acuta for being the only person to respond with anything relevant to this discussion.

It's an open carry state. Based on the surveillance video he wasn't brandishing/threatening anyone. He was just on the phone. When did it become acceptable to fire on someone from behind for carrying on sight?

Again, if this officer walks then who is held accountable? How was this officer's actions acceptable?

Here's another example of police abusing their powers (which is being ignored by the media also):

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liber...ied-about-suspect-committing-suicide-shooting

A handcuffed man in the back of a squad car was shot in the chest and killed. The police attempted to claim he committed suicide.... An autopsy report proved that wasn't the case. Again, it's likely no one will be held accountable there.

What's sad is stories like this are common.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

17. Remii

Remii Member

For every 5 cops I see _ 3 of the 5 or overweight...
    And 4 of the 5 have that "scary" look in their eyes...

The police force is full of chumps (and fat chumps) with guns...

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So why call 911 in open carry state? Even if he had a gun in an open carry state why would he need to be shot?

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I don't know how you can say its not just about race and then say its about race. The discussion should be about police killing unarmed citizens, not based on the victim's race. The broader issue is the more important one as the impact is greater.

This is an issue that negatively impacts all of us. Focusing on race is divisive and negatively serves the purpose of uniting people to bring about change.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Honestly I think this is closer to the problem. We are not getting "the finest" joining up we are getting those of lower intelligence who enjoy the idea of bullying people as they were likely accustomed to in high school.