1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Another Summer movie season bites the dust

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Aug 25, 2003.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think it's safe to say that the Summer movie season is over with Freddy vs. Jason repeating as box office champ, the first time a film has repeated since May. Just like last year, I went light on the movies this Summer, only seeing eight, though I saw one more film than last year...

X2: Awesome. Really focused on the relationships among the mutants rather than the traditional "good guy vs. bad guy" superhero story...and Pyro kicked ass!! - A

Matrix Reloaded: Good movie, though I wasn't as entranced as some people were with the first one (**COUGH**OmegaSupreme**COUGH**), so it really didn't blow me away. Typical "middle installment of a trilogy" movie, and I'll go see the third one for closure. I like the fact that they didn't repeat all the same special effects from the first one (yawn...more slow moving bullets...) B

Finding Nemo: Great movie, though the weakest of Pixar's offerings. A-

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle: To quote the great Bill Walton..."That's TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE!". Terrible fight scenes, terrible dialog, terrible jokes, and the only time I want to see the Olsen Twins on screen is if they're 69ing each other. Bernie Mac was the only redeeming quality of this film besides Demi Moore in a bikini - F-

T3: Probably the best ending of the Summer films. That scene where Arnold is smashing through the buildings while hanging from the crane is one of my favorite action sequences of all time. B+

Legally Blonde 2: OK, I admit, I actually enjoyed the first Legally Blonde. This one was OK, but I know that a third one would suck royally. C+

Pirates of the Caribbean: Suprisingly good. An excellent blend of humor and drama. Johnny Depp is definitely the most underrated actor working today. A

American Wedding: Dare I say...yes, the funniest installment! Sure, it was toilet humor, but it was F*CK*ING funny toilet humor. The only downside is that I won't be able to listen to a Belinda Carlisle song again (sorry, Manny). I'm glad they won't be making another one, though, because Stiffler is running out of bodily substances to ingest. A+

Overall: Really only one stinker, with the rest OK to excellent. B

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I only saw two.

Finding Nemo: Great movie. NOt Pixar's best. The movie had a number of funny scenes.

Pirates of the Caribean: Awesome movie. It was so much better than I thought it was going to be. Great action and comedy.

I am looking forward to movies this fall. LOTR: The return of the King.

Whooaaa....

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

a-train, keep it up and i will fly through your phone, jump up the air for 15 seconds, and attempt to knee you in the head. ;) :D

by the way, train, go see "28 days later". it gets an "A" from me.

4. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Best Movies I've seen this summer were:

X2 - Didn't like the first one, but this one just ROCKED!

28 Days Later - Original Dialogue and just a strange, great movie

Bend it Like Beckham - Pretty Funny Movie, and i'm from Pakistan so I guess I get the cultural jokes as well

Matrix Reloaded was too built up in my head so it was a let down, though alone it was a pretty good movie, the same with T3.

5. Just B

Just B Member

X-2 was my favorite summer movie (even though it came out before summer). I wish they had featured more of Colosus though, that part with him in it was great! I can't wait for the next X-Men movie, hopefully they'll have Gambit in the next one, cause he was really one of the best X-Men characters!

Speaking of summer movies, did you notice they pulled Gigli out of theaters? It might be just in Cleveland, but I noticed that they aren't showing it anymore! A movie has to be pretty damn bad to pull it out of theaters.:eek:

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

You missed Seabiscuit!! 2nd best movie of the year, behind Matrix :)

7. A-Train

Gee, I wonder why...:D

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

MOVIES I SAW:

Bad Boys II: Great movie! Had the right mix of everything, comedy, drama, suspense, etc. Rating: A

S.W.A.T.: This movie was good. It was a good action flick and had it's moments but was some what predictable in parts. Rating: B

American Wedding: OK, it was better than 2 but Stifler was a little over the top in the beginning of the movie but overall it was OK. Rating: B-

28 Days Later: An unrealistic movie with an ending that didn't make much sense and then a month later they release a new ending. It was OK but still could have ben much, much better. C-

The In-Laws: It sucked! Nothing at all enjoyable about ths film, in fact I don't even know why I mentioned that I went and saw it. Rating: F

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I saw 'Open Range' friday...it was a really good movie...if you are looking for a great western movie....you must see this one.....Robert Duvall is an awesome actor.....A

10. goophers

goophers Member

X2: A+++

Pirates of Car.: A

Terminator: A-

Charlie's Angels: F-----

Italian Job: A-

SWAT: C

Matrix Rel: B

11. Houstonrocketss

Gunfighting scenes were good but when it turned into a love story it got boring.

Duvall is still the man!

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, if we include May as the summer, I saw:

Daddy Day Care: C - Had some moderately funny moments, but was largely forgettable.

Legally Blonde 2: D - Proof that studios should wait until they get an idea before making a movie rather than greenlighting a sequel just because the first one did well.

Freaky Friday: B- - Decent kid's movie. Better than the Jodie Foster original. Won't remember it even existed in few months, though.

Tomb Raider 2: C- Not as annoying as the first one, but not good, either.

Bend it Like Beckham: B+ - Not technically a summer movie, especially since it's been showing here in Dallas since March, but I saw it this summer. It was enjoyable enough.

Johnny English: C - Not as bad as you'd think. Stupid movie, but there were a couple of funny moments. Never, ever want to see it again, though.

Uptown Girls: F - Horrid. Didn't want to see it anyway, but was dragged to it. It was worse than I was even expecting it to be.

The Italian Job: B+ - Fun movie that's mostly well made. Better than most other movies I saw this summer, but still didn't have that ooomph to make it great.

I'm amazed at how many of the I saw were ones I didn't necessarily pick to see. I just went because someone else wanted to see them (or I was with my kids, and there was nothing else showing that they hadn't already seen or that was acceptable to take a 10 and 14 year-old to see). And this was a light summer, movie-wise, for me, as well.

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

For those of you who thought Gigli did bad with about 3 to 5 million in it's first week check this out

Damon Wayons new movie with Lisa Kudrow in it's opening weekend drew about 875,000 dollars. That's it!

14. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

...and so a new signature emerges.

15. A-Train

Yeah, but Gigli was heavily marketed and released mid summer. Plus, it cost about $50 million to produce, plus marketing costs. Marci X was basically a late summer leftover movie that was hardly marketed at all, so the studio didn't expect it to do any business...

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I thought Pirates and Nemo were the best all summer.

17. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Bad Boys 2 was all that mattered to me. It was great.

Matrix 2, X:2, T:3, and Seabiscuit were good also.

2 Fast 2 Furious, Hulk, and Hollywood Homicide were passable.

Dumb and Dumberer was pure crap.

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Well, I've seen bits and pieces of almost every movie this summer since I worked at a movie theater, but I guess I'll keep most of my comments related to only the ones that I saw from start to finish.

Malibu's Most Wanted: This movie was actually pretty funny because me and my best friend act like Jamie Kennedy in this movie a lot. Except we don't try to rob liquor stores or have an Escalade with dubs.

Bruce Almighty: I thought this movie sucked, and only had about 3 or 4 minutes of laughs. Totally forgettable. How this movie ended up being Jim Carrey's most successful at the box office totally amazes me.

The Italian Job: Very good action movie, loved the Mini Coopers! I think I might get one of those jokers when I have some money. I kind of thought Charlize Theron sucked in this movie, even though she was nice to look at! :) Seth Green is the man as well.

2 Fast 2 Furious: I thought this one totally sucked in comparison to the first one and by itself. There was almost no story at all, but the race scenes were pretty good. Paul Walker is the worst actor in the world, and if it weren't for the fact that every female in a theater has a spontaneous orgasm when he steps onto the screen, he wouldn't have a job.

Legally Blonde 2: My little sister made me take her to see this, and I can easily say this is the WORST movie I have EVER seen in my entire life. This was the biggest pile of steaming crap I've ever had to sit through. And don't tell me that I didn't like it just because I was a guy, a girl friend of mine that went with us wanted to get up and leave.

Pirates of the Carribean: This movie rocked, and Johnny Depp is the man! I really thought Orlando Bloom did a great job with his character and hasn't been getting enough hype compared to Depp. I only hope the sequels can be as good as this one.

Bad Boys II: Almost everyone I know said that this one was better than the first, but I disagree. Will Smith's whole gimmick is getting very old, and I thought Martin Lawrence had all of the good lines and jokes in this movie. It was way too long and had some completely unnecessarry junk in the chase scenes like dead bodies flying out of cars.

American Wedding: This one was better than a lot of third movies where a lot of the cast don't return, but it is definitely the worst of the three. The fact that they could totally drop every female character besides the band geek kind of ruins the whole series for me.

S.W.A.T: I can't believe how well this movie did at the box office and critically. One of the most boring action movies I've seen in a long time. I didn't care whether they got the bad guy or not, there was no reason for me to NOT like the bad guy. Just because he cut his uncles throat and got pulled over for a broken tail light doesn't make him a badass.

Overall, I saw more entertaining movies than unentertaining movies, so I'd say I enjoyed this summer.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Matrix: Reloaded - More cerebral than the first movie and certainly loads of fun (chase scene = l33t), but the first was better in just about every respect. Still, a Matrix movie cannot garner less than a B+ in my book. So, I give it a B+.

Finding Nemo - Dare I say best movie of the summer? The masses may very well agree with me (seeing as it was the highest grossing film of the summer). Great characterization, funny jokes, amazing animation. Even great voice work by (gasp!) Ellen DeGeneres. I dub thee an A+.

Terminator 3 - Pretty good movie and definitely enjoyable. Nothing groundbreaking, but hey, at least there were tons of 'splosions ( I mean a TON). Ah-nold gets a B for effort.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Fun flick. Didn't love it as much as others did, unfortuantely. Johnny Depp's performance alone is worth the price of admission, though. The plot, dialogue, action, and performance of Orlando Bloom were all "meh," but Depp, Geoffrey Rush, and Keira Knightley kept this movie going all by themselves. The movie itself: B. Johnny Depp's is-he-insane-or-not Jack Sparrow character: A+

Down With Love - My wife needs to see a chick flick every now and then. So sue me... More or less a throwaway film filled with more cheese than the state of Wisconsin. The 60s chic environment grated on me after a while, too. Still, Zelwegger and McGregor did their best, and the film was somewhat enjoyable. I'll give it a B-.

Gigli - What, you think I actually saw this stinker!?!? Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Hmmm, nobody's mentioned Freddy vs. Jason yet, and it's been at the top of the box office for two weeks straight... Some people are closet fans, methinks. :p

FVJ and Matrix Reloaded were the only movies that coaxed me to the theatre this summer. Both exceeded my expectations.