1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another jinx thread: Are the Rockets on pace to be the greatest 3-pt shooting team of all time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SuperMarioBro, Dec 19, 2016.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yes, even better than last years' (or this years') Warriors. It's true that both of those teams had at least one shooter better than anyone on the Rockets (although Gordon is arguably shooting better than anyone on the Warriors this year), but they don't have the breadth of shooters the Rockets have. Almost everyone on this team who doesn't play center can shoot within spitting distance of 40%, and often with high volume. It's made us nearly impossible to guard.

The clip the Rockets are shooting at given the amount of threes they're shooting is completely unprecedented, unless I'm forgetting somebody... Although you can certainly still make the case that the Warriors last year were better. It's possible that even if they forced up another 7-8 threes a game, they'd shoot at least as well as we are this year, but who knows.

NOTE: Thread title is a joke. I know the front page is gushing with Rockets praise right now, but the idea of jinxes are as stupid as the people who believe in them... not that I endorse talking mess too early, that's just bad karma ;).

2. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Damnit, that typo in the thread title is going to bug the hell out of me... I hope a mod can fix that, cuz it doesn't look like I can.

3. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Honestly didn't notice the typo at first...

I wouldn't be surprised if they break the single-game record for 3's multiple times this season.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I feel ya; that's a mother of a typo.

do you see a menu in the top right of your 1st post that says "Thread Tools'. If not, I guess it's only for contributing members

We'll be most prolific for sure. Anything over 38% of outstanding for that many threes. Would be cool if we could get up to 40%.

ilias and SuperMarioBro like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify :D

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah the 2015-2016 Warriors shot a mind-numbing 41.6% last year on 13.1 made threes per game. These Rockets are at 14.9 per game but only at a 38.3% rate. To me, once you talk about season stats, the sample size is so high that shooting % matters more than volume. This year Golden State is only at 38.1% with very similar personnel. I don't think anyone will touch last year's Warriors team for shooting prowess for a long time.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't think it's that open-and-shut. I think there's a lot of different metrics you can take into account, possibly including the defense they're going against (and defenses are becoming more accustomed to the fact that they have to guard five feet outside the three point line these days). I mean the Warriors have even better shooters than they had last year. They replaced their weakest link with Kevin effing Durant, yet are shooting a worse percentage so far.

Besides which, often one reason a team [or player] takes more threes than another (and the Rockets are taking nearly 25% more 3s than last year's Warriors, which is not insignificant) is because they're less selective about their shots, which will lower their percentage, even if they are equally skilled at shooting... Not to imply that that's necessarily a bad thing, especially when the whole team can shoot damn near 40%.

D'oh. Good call. I wish it was in the "edit post" view. Ah well. I just wasted some moderator's time by reporting the thread to ask someone to edit the title, heh.

I think it would just be greedy to ask for this team to shoot 40% with the number of 3s they take, heh. 38% is still REALLY good. Any individual player that shoots that well would be known as a great 3-pt shooter, let alone an entire team taking 40 per game.

heypartner likes this.