1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Another iPhone Killer] Google Nexus One (Android OS)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's that time again. A new year, a new so called iPhone Killer. This time, I think they're getting closer.......again :grin:. Will be sold unlocked, rumored release date is 1-5-10 and rumored price is $199. Only works with T-Mo 3G though. Too bad it doesn't have a physical keyboard or I'd be all over this. Heck, at 1GHz, I still might be all over this. On-Screen keyboards here I come!

Android might be catching up. With about 20 Android phones slated to come out in 2010, many more people will be able to experience the Android OS as opposed to only one Apple phone. Once you gain the mass public, anything is possible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20091216/tc_pcworld/googlesnexusonespecsleaked
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

another? there has to be one to be another right?

there will never be an iphone killer

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

I was gonna get a Droid this month, maybe I should wait for this now since I'm already with Tmobile? :confused:

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i think its too good to be true. pics of this phone only just started appearing and its gonna be released in less than a month? i have my doubts. if it does happen though, i'm def in on it

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is my iphone killer. Nokia N900

[​IMG]
    I should get it by Monday and let you guys know how it is.

It multitasks up to 24 apps

It has 1 gig of memory and a 32gb HD with a sd card slot if you want more.

It has a better screen resolution than an iphone/ supports flash

built in FM transmitter.

this computer has a phone in it too.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

I hope Google makes this phone successful through the UNLOCKED market. The easiest (and most profitable) way to bring this phone to the forefront is through phone carrier distribution but I think Google can make a killing on a phone like this if they are willing to take a hit on each set (maybe selling it for $399 unlocked?) to reap the benefits later.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

I love, love Nokias and but I wasn't enamored with their S40/S60 format. I hope the Symbian OS has improved a whole lot in the past 3-4 years.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

honestly i wouldnt even mind if they had a little banner or scrolling ad on the phone if it drove the costs of the phone bill down substantially. i dont know how people would react to it, i would have to see how much room is taken up by the ad. but just a little banner that goes across the top of the screen wouldnt bother me.

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Member

I want this one sooo bad!!!!

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

If only it wasn't so ridiculously expensive! *sigh* :(

11. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

True. People keep hailing these "iphone killers", much like they hailed the "ipod killers", and yet the ipod remains the industry standard/most popular music player ever. It doesn't matter if it does more, or even does it better: until people adopt it as the industry standard, it's not an anything "killer". Apple v. Microsoft should have taught us that.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

No more symbian. It runs a new open linux based OP called Maemo.

yeah, I found on Amazon for $500 (still a lot) after rebate but I'm looking at it like I'm buying a netbook (I need justification sometimes).

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

That wouldn't be a bad idea either. They could theoretically just have the browser have a small text-ad scroller on the bottom and I would be completely fine with that.

14. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Member

I've had this phone for a couple of weeks now. It's just OK. Hopefully future updates will improve functionality.

As far as web browsing and multitasking, it's definitely ahead of the curve.

It's a bit chunky and you may or may not like the resistive touch screen. The stylus helps a bit when you need to be precise.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

yeah, I'm a bleeding edge geek so I know how there are little bugs here and there but the core is good and the potential is amazing.

I can't wait to see what developers can do with all that power.

The iphone is successful for one reason alone: THE APPLICATIONS

16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Member

What makes it just "Ok"? Is it a lack of apps or is it because of the physical reliability of the phone?

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

Not going to disagree with you here but you have to also give the iphone credit for being very user friendly for demographics across the board. I think that is more important than the apps.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol by another i meant another phone that is labeled as an iphone killer. didn't mean another phone that kills the iphone. anyways, i should have titled it "iphone alternative" since I knew you iphone elitist would get offended. :p

Man, I ordered one myself. I was torn between the n900 and nexus one that i've been thinking about getting both :eek: . I want to Nexus One for its basic calling features and Android Apps but want the n900 for everything else. I already have the g1 so maybe its better I hold off on the nexus one and just use the g1 in combination with the n900. Then again, the horrible battery life of the g1 makes me want to get rid of it.

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

The N900 doesn't run Symbian, it runs a new Linux-based OS called Maemo.

20. raj87

raj87 Member

One thing is for certain. The Android Operating System will do for wireless hand-held devices what Microsoft Windows did to the Personal Computer.