1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Happy Yao Ming Thread! (this one is for stats lovers)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Dec 14, 2002.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yao Ming’s numbers for December:

Points per game: 17.3
    Rebounds per game: 13
    Blocks per game: 2.2
    Assists per game: 1.7
    Field Goal Percentage: .500
    Free Throw Percentage: .839

Huge stats! Yao Ming is the real deal and should be on the All-Star team if he can keep this up.

Here are Hakeem’s rookie averages just for comparison:

Points per game: 20.6
    Rebounds per game: 11.9
    Blocks per Game: 2.7
    Assists: 1.4
    Field Goal Percentage: .538
    Free Throw Percentage: .613

And now for Ralph Sampson’s rookie year:

Points per Game: 21
    Rebounds per Game: 11.1
    Blocks per Game: 2.4
    Assists per Game: 2.0
    Field Goal Percentage: .523
    Free Throw Percentage: .661

Anyone care to see Moses Malone’s rookie stats?

Points per Game: 13.5
    Rebounds per Game: 13.4
    Blocks per Game: 2.3
    Assists per Game: 1.1
    Field Goal Percentage: .480
    Free Throw Percentage: .693

How about Elvin Hayes rookie stats:

Points per Game: 28.4
    Rebounds per Game: 17.1
    Blocks per Game: not tracked in 1968 season
    Assists per Game: 1.4
    Field Goal Percentage: .447
    Free Throw Percentage: .626

It looks like Yao Ming is right on course for a hall of fame career. For those that predicted Yao Ming would put up very modest numbers in his rookie year…shame on you! :p Yao Ming’s rookie numbers are going to be very similar to those of our other Hall of Fame centers. Can someone please explain to me how we as Rockets fans can be so lucky? His stats for the year are Rocketing up with each game, particularly his rebounding stats. Simply amazing!

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Crash,

Hey thanks for the positive thread. We need this!! :D

I was also looking at Yao's numbers for December. Very impressive. Not sure about player of the month honors, but definately rookie of the month. His rebounding is really starting to impress me.

3. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

There are only two players in the NBA that can hold Yao Ming in check ... Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley :(

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Tom,
    Steve and Cat are Yao Ming's two best freinds right now. They make it hard for people to double down on Yao Ming and both are passing the ball extreamly well right now.

Don't be depressed about the 4th quarter of last nights game because Yao Ming was positioned out of the offense. As the Rockets see that the end of the game Isolation plays are not as effective they will continue to go into the post as the first option more and more.

Every game Steve and Cat look better and better playing with Yao Ming.

5. basketball

basketball Contributing Member

I think Steve is realizing what he did wrong. He blame himself for the loss yesterday. He realize he took bad shots, commit turnovers, and making wrong decision at the end of the game. It's still a learning process for the whole team. It ake time to get out of a habit that they benn use to for the past couple of years. At least Steve is man enough to take the blame and hopefully he will learn from the experience. It take more than a few games to be consistent with what you tried to do. So I said let give until the All Star break to iron out all the wrinkle and hopefully they will gel in the second half and get momentum for the playoff. This saying is also true for Yao as he tried to learn from his mistakes. Even though he play well, Yao know he can do better.

6. lsjluke

lsjluke Member

I love Yao,for he can pass the ball well,he is not selfish !I think Steve and Yao will build a great team,go Rocket!

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I am very happy with Yao's progress. I remember watching the first few games and thinking bad thoughts. He couldnt play defense (6'1 point guards would drive in and lay it in over him). He couldnt block shots. His lateral movement was horrendous. He had no clue how to rebound. But, he has adjusted better than any other player that I have seen. He has made huge strides and seems to be improving with each game. The sky is the limit.

8. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

Why is it always Steve and Cuttino's fault when Yao has a off game? It's not always there fault. Just that maybe some people think that Yao will never have a bad game. Come on, the guy is a rookie, he is not entitle to get a double-double every game nor a high field goal percentage. Stop all of the blaming.

9. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I was at the Rox game against the Lakers earlier this year and after that game, I knew we had something special going for us. :D

Yao's stats this month is impressive but we should expect some inconsistency down the road. However, if he can stay injury free, Yao will dominate the league in a few years.

10. lavarock

lavarock Contributing Member

Yeah, let's not forget about yesterday's game, but just put it behind, and win tonite's game.

11. gamadictG

gamadictG New Member

Also remember that Hakeem and Sampson were rookies in the 80s, which involved much more abundant statistical bounties for most players, along with arguably less defensive intensity...

12. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

One of the main gripes on Yao Ming is his stamina down the stretch. I still find it hard to believe, seing how went 2-3 down/the nice assist down the strectch in the Kings game and got a big offenseive putback/bucket in OT vs the Grizz. However, suppose he does get tired, would it be wise to set Ming up early in the games instead of dumping it into Kenny like we usually do? (although if it was me, I wouldn't give it to KT ever :p)

Just trying to keep the discussion around Yao Ming... :)

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Me too. I knew he'd get his points, but to rebound like he did in December, especially on the offensive end, is very impressive. I didn't have much confidence on Yao's rebounding ability at all before the season.

14. Panda

Panda Member

Good post. The last game is part of the growth pain. It serves as a reminder that a balanced system is what the Rockets need to win games. Steve is showing some leadership in taking the blame. At least the Rockets get some lessons out of it.