1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Andrew Bynum - How many more years?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 29, 2012.

?

How many more years does Bynum have left?

1. 1-2

5.8%
  2. 3-4

33.9%
  3. 5-6

25.6%
  4. 7-8

13.2%
  5. 8-9

9.9%
  6. I don't care. We need a pure rebuild.

11.6%
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most of us agree that Bynum is a beast that will likely put up monster numbers when/if he leaves LA. Of course he's had some injuries or he wouldn't even be on the block. A lot has been said about his attitude. For me that's a non factor here. In fact, he's shown quite a bit to battle back from those gruesome setbacks. All this said, I have doubts about making him the cornerstone of the franchise with all the downside risk .....but, sometimes you have to roll the dice.

So, considering the risk/reward ratio, what do you all think? It would seem to me that a pure rebuild is the way to go, but I'll admit, Bynum is enticing....perhaps a trap, but still enticing.

In keeping with this, I've attached a poll.

How many years do you think Andrew has left before his body gives out?

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The black Bryant Reeves.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

he's 25. he was fine last year.
    sure, there's risk. a string of injuries could even force him out of the league. But I'd say it's a fair risk.
    but i think that the most likely scenario - he's max-worthy for another 10 years.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

3-4 years. If we aren't title contenders by then, which I doubt we would be, then whatever we'd trade would be a waste.

He's young enough for a rebuilding team but the risk is too high to give up more than scraps.

But what you also have to factor in is reloading the lakers.

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I voted 5-6. He might not play injury-free like last year but with knee braces and advancement of sports medicine, he might last longer than previous generation injury prone centers.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

For playing 60+ games: 1-2 years.

For hanging around in the league, maybe playing some games here and there during brief windows of health, while his team or teams pray he can stay healthy: 3-4 years.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He's 24. And coming off a very good, injury-free year. All big men have injury risk, but Bynum's worth betting on. He's just starting to come into his best years.

9. Rockets_4_life

I think 5-6yrs, maybe 7 if he has a clean bill of health.

Although I wonder the same question about Dwight Howard. After all he is 27 yrs old this year, 3 yrs from the dreaded 30, and is coming off back surgery and relies heavily on his athleticism to be effective... just saying...

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i think he's got 5-6 years... granted I think 2 of those years he will miss at least half the season...thatd be a cool 'predict the injuries pool if he became a Rocket... I'd say (# of games missed due to injury each year starting next year) 17-50-12-20-19-63... I'd still throw a 5-6yr max contract...

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I voted 8 to 9. He's 24 years old, hasn't missed a single game due to injury since 2010, and no one actually connected with him has expressed any doubt about his long-term viability. Bynum seems to have found a routine that works for him and is clearly willing to be proactive to deal with his situation, i.e. wearing a brace and going to Germany for procedural work even when he's not hurting.

I'm fairly optimistic about his future, and the only pessimistic view I've heard of late comes from a doctor from another city with no specific knowledge of his X-rays, MRIs, etc. Purely speculative.

12. jocar

jocar Member

If he doesn't sign an extension with the Lakers, he'll be an unrestricted free agent next summer and will draw a ton of interest from around the league. Of course the Lakers would be a heavy contender for him, but according to Yahoo! Sports, Bynum would favor the Mavericks, Rockets and Cavaliers. According to the report, "a couple other places" could be involved too.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...ms-list-includes-dallas-houston-and-cleveland

Does anyone have insight or a guess as to why (if this article is true) Bynum singled out Hou, Dal, and Cle?

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i'll take Bynum and throw the max Money... even if it means sendin D12 to LA. Let the divas battle each other for the spotlight, as Gasol declines in the background... lol

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I would too. The biggest difference is Bynum wants to be here.
    Bynum has been playing under trade rumors and Kobe's shadow for the last few years. I doubt he will sign an extension if it gets to that.
    Only downfall is D12 will be playing in the same conference.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm with you on this. 8 - 9 if not more. Yao with all of his problems played until he was 29. Amare with microfracture surgery is still playing. Bynum at only 24 should play into his early 30's at least.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am happy to read that I am not the only person that feels that Bynum will play well in Houston. He is young and I think he would play well here because he would be at the top of the totem pole. I definitely worry about injuries though. But they do happen, look at Rubio. It is a casualty of the sport.

17. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I really like Bynum's upside, his size, defensive ability, shot-blocking, rebounding dominance he is capable of etc.... But alotta people still speak about Bynum's potential, his upside and all that. He is 25, has been in the NBA for 7 years. He should no longer have upside or potential. He should be established. His size is better than 99% of the people in the NBA, his athletic gifts are well above average for someone his size. Great leaping ability, good reaction speed, great size for protecting the rim and boxing out. Improving offensive repertoire. But potential is all about unrealized talent, wasted and unused. I think his size is what appeals to Morey, but I think his attitude and extremely slow learning curve and development should be a bigger red flag than Dwight being an immature adolescent who changes his mind everytime he doesnt get his way.
    I used to want us to land DH12, wouldve been ok but leary of Bynum, but now prefer to just go with the youth rebuild and look forward to 2 lottery picks next year and $30 million plus in available cap room to continue the rebuild.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

His development is done. His "potential" is what he could do outside of Kobe jacking up 20 shots. In Houston, I think he puts up 24 and 12.

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

8-9 years LMAO ...yea right ..I've got some Nigerian bank funds I need you guy's to help me transfer ..

He completed a full season ONCE in 7 years .. He can't even stay healthy as a young man,so how in the hell is he gonna hold up as he get's older.. ? Miracle injections from germany ...suuuuuure .. Only an idiot would hand howard to our direct competition for damaged good's.

Games played
    60 short season

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, we'll see how that magic German knee juice holds up for Bynum -- it's clearly worked for him and Kobe so far, but only time will tell. Honestly, when I read that Kobe had a bone on bone issue and he was having the knee drained I figured he was done. Last year though his knees seemed to have drastically improved -- the fact he's playing in the Olympics shows he's feeling good.

I need to read more on what this process is because if I recall correctly B. Roy had it done and if he makes it back then they've really got some magic in that potion.