1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analysis: 'Easier to shore up what we loose with Carl than get a scorer like Martin'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LewLLOYD, Feb 20, 2010.

1. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I was taken by this quote (and I'm paraphrasing maybe):

'In the end, we thought it would be easier to shore up the hole left by Carl than to get a scorer (player of the caliber) like Martin'.

Do you agree?

--
    I think what it comes down to, is Martin will compliment Yao within Adelman's system much better than Carl would.

but for the remainder of this year...

Scola can play more minutes.
    Although he's no "God Bird", the Mr. "Four Carot" will have more oportunity to shine.

AB will be that much more lethal with Martin next to him.
    Lowry is awesome, and will continue to be great, but no more sagging off the 2 to make sure AB can't do his thing. AB is going to love Martin.

Ariza also will have less pressure on him.
    When Ariza plays off Martin and AB, I think he will have better looks and less defenders keying on him. This could really open up his game and get him off the Clutchfans black list, which I'm excited about.

Shane and Chuck may get to finish more games.
    With Martin in the game, we'll need more defensive help. And players like Chuck and Shane, even when they are not having a great offensive game, won't be as much a liability on the court with our added scoring punch.

We create a jam at small forward, eliminating the Battriza production problem.
    I love Shane and Ariza, but together we lacked something sometimes -- and often for long stretches. Nuff said.

1 person likes this.
  2. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

I was thinking about this too, and I think at the end of the day we have a very big hole at the 4. Jordan Hill is not ready, Scola getting more minutes is fine, but when Jared Jeffries comes off the bench for us, the team is going to flounder with interior scoring.

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

But the Adelman offense will still get guys their shots off of cuts and other things. If Jeffries has any ability to man the high post that will help eliminate his shooting woes. Heck, thats how Adelman essentially hides Hayes' offense in the starting lineup.

4. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I just listened to a podcast with Marc Stein that said we were talking to the Suns and trying for Amare right up to the deadline, supposed *after* we had already made our blockbuster trade. Wow. That would sure shore up our 4. I wonder who we were talking of moving.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's not even the off season yet. Rocket's make their big moves in the off season.

Artest for Greene, Scola for Spanoulis.

Morey mentioned the draft being very deep with bigs this year. Morey would only say this, if he thinks that he can draft a PF better than Hill.

6. amaru

amaru Member

The deal I heard was something like Amar'e for Battier, Scola, Cook, and a first round draft pick.

The only problem was that Phoniex didn't want to seen over Amar'es medical records/ have physicals (something like that)........basically they wanted to Rockets to by it as they saw it.

Morey, based on Stats lengthy injury history, declined as soon as this was brought up.

7. choujie

choujie Member

Only one first rounder? Heat offered more.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Nah, it was multiple picks. Scola/Battier/Cook/multiple 1st.

I think Daryl's quote really translates to:

"It's easier to get a guy who can drop in 17 a night than it is to acquire a guy who can go off for 40 on any given night."

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

It was multiple picks

Edit: LTF said it.

10. amaru

amaru Member

my bad, thoght it was just 1

11. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Martin will compliment Yao well. But I think we all as a fan need to stop relying on Yao to come back healthy. The Rockets should go on with their plans with or without Yao Ming. Because it would hurt us more if we continued to depend on him.

But if Yao somehow stay healthy and productive, its a big plus for us. But what are the chances in that? He's getting old, a big injury like this will slow him down even more (Yao is just slow as it is), and he collapses when the defense close down on him...A franchise player should always be able to do well no matter what the defense throws at him. But Yao only has a few moves and not much of an counter attack offensive guy. Sure he clogs the lane and prevent players from driving in, but a good post big man would wreck havoc on Yao like Boozer.

12. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

For the rest of this year, Scola can definitely handle 34-36 mins/game, meaning we only miss Landry 12-14 mins/game. That hole will not be as deep as what we're gaining at SG.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Yes. I love Carl, but I can not find fault with this move either short term or long term.

Jordan Hill is a much better lump of clay to start with than even Carl was as a rook.

There is no team with a better history than the Rockets of developing big men. Let's turn CD and the coaching staff lose on this kid and see what he's got.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I think a further thing to look at is that when Yao returns, he will largely take up a big chunk of Landry's duties ie. getting the ball in the post and destroying the opponent, rebounding, etc. Combined with huge scoring wing problems, and I think it makes sense.

< Good. >

15. TheRocketfan

TheRocketfan Member

I think we sign & trade for Amare or Bosh this offseason.

Does anybody know of any footage of any practices or shootarounds with the New Rockets involved?

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its more difficult than it appears to get comparable production to Landry.

Just real quick - think of all the good actual power forwards for all teams from the past 5 NBA drafts...? Probably cant think of any.

Lamarcus Aldridge, thats about it. Kevin Love if you're thinking deep enough. There's some PF/Cs like David Lee, Al Horford. But for the most part its a bunch of JJ Hicksons...Rockets are real lucky to have gotten Scola and Landry

What the Rockets "lost with Carl" is good frontcourt scoring, occassional blocked shot, upbeat ENERGY. Not much else. They can just get backcourt scoring in replacement like they did, then hope that better defending bigs can plug the hole.

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Of course it's true. It's called getting Yao back next season.