1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An opportunity?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a la rockets, Jul 1, 2003.

1. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

With Knicks and Celtics trade talks for Walker,growing rumors have Kurt Thomas out of NY.
    They are in surch of a defensive C,and that is just what we have!
    I know I have suggested this idea in another thread but it seemed just too good not to create another one.

Cato+ for Thomas+

I guess we would need filler to make the trade work salary wise.
    Now before saying this is a bad trade because we need Cato behind Ming or whatever any other reason,please think about this opportunity to get your tough PF(until Griffin prouve something) without giving up too much.(Plus Thomas can plays C too!)
    In the following article the writer suggest Dallas's Bradley,but if ur the Knicks who would u rather have,Cato or the soft Mormon?
    I rest my case.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/97037p-87908c.html

ALA

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

As unimpressive as Griffin has been, it would not be much of a stretch to think that he will perform at or near Thomas' level this year under Van Gundy. The incremental benefit of getting Thomas is likely not worth the loss of Cato.

Anyway, centers are always worth a lot more than PF's, which grow on trees in the NBA. Now, if we could use that deal to dump bad contracts, such as Mooch and the Maloney obligation, I might be willing to listen.

3. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Soft Mormon? What is that? Is that supposed to be a put down or something? Why bring up his religion?:rolleyes:

4. AlexVanderpool

cato for thomas....id do that trade in a heartbeat...

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I disagree. It's all about the body. Kurt Thomas is a heck of a lot more solid than wee Eddie Griffin. I would love to have someone like Kurt on the Rockets.

6. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I don't think Kurt Thomas is as good as some of the people on this board hype him up to be. NY was just so worthless in terms of big men that there was no one else who could rebound or score at the position. He had some good games last season, but had a good share of s***y ones. If we are going to trade for a PF (and I hope we don't) it needs to be a big name, not just a pretty decent guy in Kurt Thomas.

7. Olajumus Prime

I would hope they give Eddie atleast 1 more year, I mean he is what ? 1 or maybe 2 years older than our newest draft pick whom everyone is wanting to send overseas for a couple years to develop?

Kurt Thomas I agree with some of the posters on here, is a little over-hyped on this board, He is a hot head for sure, and doesnt he get his share of technicals? and when he gets all worked up, he commits foolish fouls and gets himself out of a game either via ejection or mentally?

shoot, lets go for Rasheed then

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If we trade CATO
    Who backs up the Center Position?

Kurt Thomas is ok but not all world

I think we should see what Gumby can do with EG and MoT 1st

Rocket River

9. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Depends on who you talk to... :D

I think Eddie will not be dealt, all signs point to him staying, save for an opportunity to adjust our nucleus. I assume it would have to be an irresistible deal, as HP deciphered from Feigen's article; whether that be Brand, O'Neal, or someone else that hasn't been rumored on the BBS to be joining our Rockets (wait there has been a rumor regarding EVERYONE in the NBA...even Mark Madsen a few days ago :rolleyes: ).