1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An aspect of Dwight's game: FT shooting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pearlon, Oct 4, 2013.

1. pearlon

pearlon Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrlQwKTrsSo&noredirect=1

Did you guys notice Dwight hit every single FT (4-4, 100%) in the second game scrimmage, with good form doing it? (minutes 2:38 & 6:50 of the vid) Though it's a small sample size, if he can maintain anywhere close to that level in the regular season, it'll be a great boon for the team as whole. Hack-a-Dwight won't be as effective, and he can stay in the game late w/o being a liability.

If he averages 10 FTs a game this season (career avg 9.3 FT attempts per game), going from 50% (last season 49%) to let's say 65%, this would equate to an increase of ~1.5 points per game. Remember, in Dwight's first season in the league with Orlando in 2004, he hit 67% of his FTs. So this is quite possible.

And what does 1.5 points translate into for our team? Looking at the 2012-2013 season, where we averaged 106.0 ppg, we'd outpace the GS Warrior (106.1 PPG) by 1.4 points. We'd jump from a close second in overall offensive output to first. (Third in the NBA was Thunder with 105.7 ppg). I don't know what a ~1.0% increase in team scoring equates to in terms of increase in wins, but it certainly won't hurt. Note that an increase in FT points through increase in FT percentage has no offsetting negative impacts to anything else in the offense elements. Those points at the line are gimmes one way or the other, so make them count big fella!

One can argue if opposing teams know that DH is improved at the line, they'd foul him less often, especially in crucial situations. This would equate to potentially less FT attempts per game for DH. But the opposing defense not using such a strategy only means that other Rockets offensive plays are then made available in those crucial situations. The decreased FTA would then potentially cause an uptick for 2pts or 3pts attempted. So let's say Dwight is at (8.0 FTA) rather than (10.0 FTA). At 65% FT, this would be a net negative of 1.3 ppg for his individual stats. Note that DH would still see an increase of 0.3 points per game: 10.0 FTA at 50% vs 8.0 FTA at 65%). However, this would then be off-set by (+1 in 2pt or 3pt attempted) for the team. Conservatively, at (45% for 2pts) or (30% for 3pts), we would still be at + 0.9 ppg for the team, plus 0.3 ppg for DH individually. That's all groovy, baby!

Of course, there are lots of potentially faulty assumptions in there, and all of the previous ramblings are predicated on DH improving his FT% (or anyone improving their FTs). But the video suggests anecdotally that DH's FT form is good and he hit them when we see them. Let's just hope in the season his mindset is right and he is relaxed through the motion!

I'm excited more than ever about the big man addition and about this season. =)

Dwight's stats via Yahoo Sports:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3818/

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Yes, he looks a lot more comfortable. He's not hesitating, and his form looks fluid. His makes are swishes.

Lin said that in Aspen Dwight shot really well from the free throw line.

If he starts bricking once games start then we'll know it's all mental. Maybe get him a "mind coach" or have him listen to some positive, soothing music during timeouts.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Dwight could get in the 60-65% range, that'd be a huge success, though I do think that's unlikely.

4. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Maybe the team can get the cheerleaders to do something (you know, just as he's getting ready to shoot) to help relax his nerves. :)

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If I remember correctly Howard has been able to hit his free throws in practice for a while. It just has not translated over to game situations.

But on the positive side, the math of hack-a-[fill in name here] completely breaks down well short of 57% free throw shooting. Howard has a good chance of getting to the north side of 55% this season. However the clock management strategy is still valid. The opponent has to be shooting lights out to make it work. Perimeter defense.

I do remember a MIA game from last season where LBJ hit an off balance contested 28 foot three to win the game. All you can say is good shot.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I keep picturing that photo of the Lakers' practice free throw stats. Dwight was at 80% in practice with over a thousand free throws attempted. So he was shooting 80% in practice with the Lakers.

But in games he was terrible at shooting FT's.

So him making his FT's during practice with the Rockets means zero. IF he can shoot in the mid 60's in games, that would be great. But there is no telling just from watching practice.

7. AFS

AFS Member

I think it's possible for him to get there. Most of his seasons have hovered right under that range. I still don't get why his FT shooting has basically regressed since coming into the league. It has to be a mental thing.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

The fact that Dwight has had success in practice but not in games suggest his problem is mental. I hope he was putting too much pressure on his self due to his his future status (ie: what team he would end up with)being up in the air. Hopefully, now that he has a home here, he will become more comfortable and hopefully he will not "over think" when shooting free trows.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I predict Howard will shoot around 70-72% from the FT this season...BOLD PREDICTION

10. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Ah yes, the old fashioned

11. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Bold Prediction: Howard will be the best FT shooter on the team

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You are lying to yourself if you think Dwight will magically transform into a decent free throw shooter in his 9th year. I made the same mistake.

13. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Dwight shot over 80% (just under 82%) in practice as a laker, but he was still the worst free throw shooter in practice.

If dwight is healthy, I can see him returning to his previous 60% mark.

[​IMG]

14. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

It's unlikely but it's still possible. Tim Duncan is a career 69% FT shooter, but shot a career high 81.5% this past season, his 16th in the league.

It's certainly not impossible for dwight to become a 65% ft shooter, but I would be very surprised if he were able to shoot over 80% over the course of a season.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I wonder if Stern is still gonna stop the Hack a Howard like he said last year

16. pearlon

pearlon Member