1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

American policy for illegla immigration has gone too far

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by droxford, Mar 1, 2005.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Preface: I'm half Mexican. My mother migrated to the US legally when she was 6.

Words cannot express how angry this makes me. Here's a recent article from the Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/topstory2/3061783

NEWSFLASH: These people are not Americans! They're not even legal visitors! We simply cannot provide healthcare for the entire world, and it's ridiculous and stupid for us to even try.

$1 BILLION frickin' dollars to healthcare for illegals!?!?! And that's NOT ENOUGH?!?!? wHY? WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?!?!?

It makes me sick to my stomach to know that the money the government takes from me is going to pay for a Mexican guy's heart surgery. This has got to stop!

-- droxford

2. droxford

droxford Member

My breakdown of this ridiculous situation...

Those numbers are gonna skyrocket as we continue to freely accept illegals, and it just encourages illegals to enter the country!

[excuse me while I puke]

Do you seriously want to pay the government more money to help heal Mexicans?!?! And we're not just talking about "infecting" other people. This only applies to communicable diseases. What about surgeries and trauma care? And what makes us "obliged to provide care"? We are IN NO WAY obliged to provide medical care who are blatantly disrespecting the laws of the US by coming here illegally.

[...puking again...]

So, all that money is going to help Mexicans get better, while needy Americans suffer. That's really smart.

I don't know tho J.C. Hernandez is or the "Americans for Zero Immigration", but this is the first voice of reason I've heard here.

[puking again]... That has got the be one of the dumbest, most narrow-minded statements I've heard in a long, long time.

Then don't come here. Once they're here, they say, "okay.. I'm here. Feed me. give me work. give me police and fire protection. give me medical coverage. You pay for it all." And we say, "Yeah, sure! We're obligated to do so!"

That's smart, too. That's a great deal. Yeah, you mow my lawn for $20 and I'll pay for you $60,000 heart surgery. That's fair. Zwick is an idiot who is making things worse for the rest of us.

damn right!

-- droxford

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a matter of whether the labor of one illegal immigrant makes up the cost of any received free health care - it's whether the total economic contribution of all illegal immigrants makes up the cost of the free health care they receive. If anyone can find some estimates of the former, then we can actually determine whether the latter is such a travesty.

I don't like the fact that our hospitals are so overburdened and underfunded, but it seems to me that instituting draconian laws that punish the immigrant rather than the employer waving the dollar bill won't solve this problem. As long as there are no stiff penalities for employers and consumers who use illegal immigrants, we will never solve this problem. Expecting desperate and destitute people to put the law over their well-being has never once worked in human history and won't work now.

Finally, it sounds like the state really screwed up when it took the money away from charity hospitals and gave it to private hospitals. This money was going to illegal immigrants either way, so you can't blame them for budget shortfalls. And if this government gift allows the private hospital to turn an even bigger profit, then maybe we should direct our blame elsewhere.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You can whine about the costs all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the economic benefits of having illegal immigrants far far outweigh the costs; This is a basic fact that people like "Americans for Zero Immigration" can't understand, far from being voices of reason.

I don't understand how you can watch somebody clean your toilet or roof your house for 12 hours a day for sub-subsistence wages after risking their lives to get here and then think they want to fall off a scaffolding and break their back so they can "take it easy".

Our economy is dependent on illegal immigrants becuase consumers demand them and the economy needs them. Collectively we have made a choice, and we are stuck with the consequences thereof.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Very well put something needs tobe done the illegal immigration .This isn't just about mexicans immigrant is african,asian,cuban there are so many illegal immigrant working for next to nothing this problem is going to continue to hurt real hard working Americans .

6. droxford

droxford Member

subtomic
    I'm not saying we should 'punish the immigrant'. I'm saying that we shouldn't reward the immigrant. If the immigrant wants to come here illegally, it should be a truth that if he gets hurt, he's on his own. There are a bazillion people in other countries right now who are hurt and need care. Do you want to pay to help them? WE CAN'T BE THE CAREGIVERS OF THE WORLD'S SICK AND POOR! I know that sounds callous and heartless, but it's the cold, hard truth.

SamFisher

Illegal workers are BAD for the economy - not good. Here's why:

Landscape business X hires legal workers. They have to pay minimum wage or better to their employees. Landscape business Y hires illegal workers. They can pay their employees $1 an hour.
    Because of the lower labor costs, Y can charge less for their services. Since their customers are price-driven, the customers hire Y. X simply can't compete with Y because of Y's lower labor costs, even though X is trying to follow the law and do things the right way.

A breakdown in competition is BAD for the economy - not good.

And, though you may say that illegal immigrants contribute economically to society through their hard labor, you must recognize that the costs of providing police coverage, education, retirement benefits, medical coverage, and every other kind of government protection are far greater damage to the economy.

-- droxford

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you're really interested in stopping illegal immigration then-

A. Throw Y in jail

or

B. Pass laws that require X and Y to pay a high enough wage so that U.S. citizens are willing to take the job.

The only way you're going reduce illegal immigration is to reduce the demand. Trying to reduce the supply will always as effective as pushing back the tide with a broom.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I'm pretty certain that every major study, excepting those commissioned by anti-immigration groups, concludes that illegal immigration has a beneficial effect on the economy on balance.

9. SamFisher

You are dead wrong. You are assuming that X is not free to hire cheaper labor too - when in fact it is the exact opposite - X is being a bad capitalist by not selecting the cheaper inputs - inputs which are cheaper due to a more competitive labor marekt. In fact, under the rules of the economy under which we operate - X deserves to go out of business as it is being inefficient. Access to cheap labor is available to all businesses in most regions of the country and they all take advantage of it. This keeps prices low for you and me, and it benefits the immigrants as well. On a microeconomic level, this is a net welfare gain.

This is dead wrong again. You are merely spouting. Illegal immigrants enable us to realize hundreds of billions of value in saved labor costs. If we didn't have them, we would have to import them ourselves at our own cost (unlike the current system in which the costs of getting here (both fiscal and physical) are borne entirely by the migrants.

The ultimate validator in all this is of course the market, which continuously demands them in its ruthless quest for efficiency. It's no different than Wal-Mart and it's oft envied success- as Robert Reich wrote yesterday in the Times (and a similar article in the New Yorker from a few weeks ago.) Wal Mart is not to blame for crowding out small stores or being a powerful buyer, consumers are to blame for being ruthlessly rational and choosing price over all other considerations

If illegal aliens represented such a net negative (especially in a market with such profound cost shifting) - we would no longer be prepared to accept them. But the fact of the matter is that those sums you quoted are a drop in the bucket compared to the economic value of a cheap labor force.

10. droxford

droxford Member

At a micro and short-term level, they are good. They cost your household less money when you need to have your lawn mowed.

On a macro and long-term level, they are bad. In a broad view, they breakdown competition and skirt government wage protection laws. And when too many illegals come over, and the ghettos/barrios become overfilled, and when your house starts getting robbed by the illegals, it kinda defeats the savings you made when you hired illegals to mow your lawn and encouraged them to come here.

The same also applies when you save a few dollars to get your lawn mowed, but your taxes get raised a ton to pay for $1 billion (or more) for hospitalization for the illegal immigrants (see the article above).

-- droxford

11. Vik

Vik Contributing Member

Sam, you're making pretty strong statements here that simply do not have any form of consensus in the labor economics literature.

Most labor economists and people that have worked on immigration believe that on net, we lose several billion dollars per year of total welfare due to illegal immigration. While it's true that some of the costs of illegal immigrants are offset by downward pressure on prices, it is by no means clear -- or even apparant -- that there is a net welfare benefit. I'd really like to see some peer reviewed material on that.

12. droxford

droxford Member

SamFisher

Under your view, the only way to compete is if ALL the landscapers and custodians were hiring illegal aliens. Yes, under my model, X would go out of business, but he shouldn't have to. He's trying to respect the laws of the US, respect his employees and contribute to success in the US,

Here's the future of the economy under your vision:
    Most US jobs will be farmed out to countries with poor labor law protection (India, China, etc.). What jobs are left here in the US fall under two categories: those who manage the outsourcing, and those to serve the managers. The people who serve the managers will all be illegal immigrants (or their offspring) because they can work for $1 an hour. That leaves the managers. The managers will be the elite few - the rich of the world. The problem with this model is, it leaves about 97% of the American people without a job. It destroys the working middle class. So, with many millions unemployed from original US working class and with so many millions of illegal aliens (and their offspring), we become a country filled with povery and despair, except for the 3% rich working class. Wanna know what that's like? Go live in Mexico City for a while.

-- droxford

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahhhh..alas, common ground. i agree wholeheartedly. i haven't seen studies or numbers..just my perception.

14. SamFisher

If you are referring to the accounting cost, than so be it. But that is not what I am referring to.

As far as comprehensive studies, I don't know of any, but then I don't know of any comprehensive study that is from a credible source either that says there is a net welfare loss.

In the absence of evidence either way, given the general preference for free labor markets across the globe (I mean Malaysia is dealing with immigration issues right now as they need them to take low wage jobs - Malaysia!?!) combined with the relatively low level of social services that immigrnats here receive unlike, say guest workers in Scandanavia I find it hard to believe that we are unknowingly bleeding ourselves dry over a supply of deceptively cheap labor.

I do know that if we didn't have illegal migrants, we would have to import them at our own cost - presumably they would then require the same amount of social services. So where does that get us in the end?

15. SamFisher

Yes you are correct in that globalization as a whole presents a race-to-the-bottom scenario as far as living & working standards go -- but this is the system that we chose, voluntarily, as Americans, and the one that we fought the Cold War over and have been pushing for about the last 100 years or so. Hoisted by our own petard ultimately? It's highly possible.

16. droxford

droxford Member

If we didn't have illegals...

Cons: Our costs for blue-collar work would be higher.

Pros (off the top of my head):
    1. We'd have at least $1 billion dollars of cash we'd be spending on something else (as per the article above)
    2. our ghettos and barrios would be a LOT smaller
    3. our taxes would probably be a lot less (because gov't resources would no longer be covering the millions of illegals)
    4. with smaller ghettos we'd probably see dramatically less crime.
    Sounds great to me

-- droxford

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

{cynic}
    I don't agree with this. That money would just be funneled into some other project.{/cynic}

18. droxford

droxford Member

Okay - maybe, maybe not. At least, if it would be funneled to some other project, there would at least be a much higher probability that those American tax dollars would go to benefit American people.

Wouldn't it be nice if that $1 billion went our educational system, instead of helping sick people from other countries?

-- droxford

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A couple of solutions would be to have universal health care, or to allow all aliens to to be legal, and therefore take away the possibility of short changing the workers because they aren't legal.

20. SamFisher

Pros:

1. You don't get the 1 billion back - that money is going to go to presumably pay for either the guest workers we have to import or the native workers who take the same jobs and also fall off roofs & scaffoldings, etc. I don't know how much you'll get back - it's possible that it could cost even more.

2. Ghettos smaller? I don't know about that. It wasn't because of immigrants that whites left Detroit.

3. I think the fiscal shortfall between illegal immigrants taxes paid and costs incurred is, even estimated by anti-immigrant groups in the most favorable terms for your side of the argument, $10 billion annually. This is the figure that the anti-immigrant groups use.

Divided by roughly, 300 million americans, this equates to, at most roughly 33$ annually per American in tax savings - at worst.

You'll need all 33 bucks, because everything else just got more expensive.

4. Crime? Now this is just the height of speculation and presumes certain dispositions so I'm not going to address that. Suffice to say, however, Crime has dropped dramatically over the past decade despite the fact that immigration has continued unchecked. I doubt you could find any correlation there.