1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 19, 2023.

1. Arnel

Arnel Member

what does being the best player at the time have to do with my comment on athleticism, first step, defense and playmaking?

when Gianis came into the league he also was not the best player on the bucks. One of the worst actually. But his potential was much higher than some of his teammates that he has since long surpassed with hard work.

Amen Thompson potential and the areas I pointed out are better than KPJ. Whether he fully reaches it will obviously be up to him, but your entire comment doesn’t even account for it at all. Which is kinda the point when drafting, no? We are supposed to also account for that stuff.

cbass and OremLK like this.
  2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The more I hear and see about Whitmore, the more I prefer him to the Thompson twins.

#562 rpr52121, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

4. MystikArkitect

I mean KPj does that now in his 4th year minus the athleticism and passing chops. Amen is a quarterback of the offense and always has been. It's ingrained in his mentality. KPj is not that and never will be. They can't be compared because they are wildly different players. The Rockets currently have one real PG on the team and it's TyTy (who also dominated the G League competition)

rockets1995, cbass and Dredd like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes TyTy averaged 26 pts and 7 assists per game in G-League.
    Averaged 4.7 pts and 1.5 assists per NBA game (31 games)
    His 36-minutes 12.1 pts and 3.9 assists.

Yeah, so much better than KPj. In what world?

Here is a video I posted yesterday. In which this narrator attended
    the NBA combine and sources spoke with Amen 's coaches. They
    make don't sugar coat it.....both Thompson twins will find better
    success as "WINGS".

In the first 20 seconds of this video

It coincides with my belief when I watch game film on Amen.
    But you can believe what you want.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Teams with decent 3-point shooters

..............................0 rim
    &.....X...............................................X...&

...........................X....................X
    .......................X................................&
    ......................&
    .....................&* (ball)

Notice the spacing when you have decent 3-point spacing.
    Windows open for cutters and slashers. Non point guards
    can look like point guards as reads become easier.

You drive.....extra defenders comes over.....guys get open.

Now visualize the Rockets with no 3-point shooters like last season.
    4 defenders camped out in the paint. No spacing.

Rockets 22/23
    ..............................0 rim
    &...................X..................X....................&

......................X
    .........................................X
    .......................X................................&
    ......................&
    .....................&* (ball)

Don't you see how spacing effects the outcome? No
    Probably because you were not a point guard....just a dumb center. Lol

6. saleem

saleem Member

It's a pretty easy decision to make whether to select Amen or not at 4. If he is putting in the work to improve his jumper and his physical strength, then he might be worth the gamble in the long run provided if he's not slacking on defense. The off season can lead to rapid rises and falls. The real character of a player usually shows up before the draft. I don't know what Amen is upto at all. I haven't heard anything really positive about him as yet.

Stone can't afford to blow the 4th pick.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Based on what I seen from Amen is that he's pretty well spoken in his interviews with a great attitude which equals to brain smarts

Miller has already been around some crimes and the reports say he's low on basketball activity. Watching some of his antics after he scores is annoying, reminds me of low iq weed smoker Emoni Bates. DO NOT WANT THIS CAT.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

KPJ looks pretty athletic to me, not a PG but pretty athletic.

Of course not Green or Jordan athletic.

saleem likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

KPJ is like 8/10 athletic. Jalen is a 9.5 and Amen is like a 9.9

10. MystikArkitect

Compared to normal mortals KPj is an 8/10. Compared to NBA players he's like a 5 or 6/10. Jalen is a 10/10 athlete in the NBA on par with Ja Morant or Zach Lavine. Amen will be as well. Jalen/Amen is probably the most athletic back court in NBA history. Their strengths complement each other as well.

I don't think Portland passes on Amen at 3. I also don't mind an offense with a smarter PG that can shoot and Green/Miller/Jabari around Sengun. KPj can feast on second units. The only way the Rockets can **** this up is if they trade the pick for role players.

Fullcourt likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Member

Being well spoken and putting in the work to really improve his game are two different things.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I get that but the backcourt should also alter the tempo of the game.

If they are speeding it up every time and jumping out of the arena, this is not an All Star game.

That is why if you have a unique guy at every position, that makes the game much harder to defend.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Jalen said one of his goals this summer is learning how to slow down and play with different tempos

OremLK and saleem like this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

He really needs that start/stop game. Will open everything up for him. Give him more time to make the right pass too.

15. kubli9

kubli9 Member
    Supporting Member

2 years at Overtime Elite is a big red flag to me. It would be one thing if he wanted to skip college but then why do more than one year of prep before entering the draft?

Tuckmose likes this.
  16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I know Brandon Miller played in the SEC, but the competition in the SEC was down this year. The players in the OTC are young but they are more talented than players from Vanderbilt and Florida. Amen played against many teams oversea who were professional players and some of them played in the NBA.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

So I tried to ignore this, but I guess other people are pushing this video/idea too.

Who the hell is Cyro Asseo? Why do I get the strong sense that he's just making stuff up? He seems to like posting insider info from "stuff I heard from coaches" based on his social media. Yet his spelling or even understanding of what a guy's name is seems...less than ideal.

Maybe he's legit, but not sure I buy his info even if it 100% true. Especially when we literally have Amen's OTE coach calling him a lead guard:

He does say he's not a "pure" PG (ala Chris Paul), and seems to compare him more to Dame. Could probably have a semantics debate there, but he does think he's good in PnR, attacking various defensive coverages, etc.

So yeah, we can argue about what's a good PG and why he is or isn't a PG. That's not particularly interesting to me. People can watch the videos, look at the numbers, and then make their own decision.

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Amen going the Brandon Jennings route and playing overseas for a year would inspire much more confidence than playing super AAU for two years.

My two cents: Considering his lackluster wingspan (6'9" on a 6'7" frame), Thompson SCREAMS the second coming of Josh Jackson. A dude with crazy athleticism, high energy (allegedly), a lackluster jumpshot, but simply lacking the wingspan to be a true defensive stopper at the highest level.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Amen Thompson does not have 6'9" wingspan. He and his brother both measured with a 7'0" wingspan at the NBA draft combine a week ago.

Source

Josh Jackson also is not even half as good of a playmaker as Amen Thompson. I don't think you're necessarily on the wrong track in terms of Amen's floor as a scoring option--at least the athleticism is close on this one--but like everyone else who underrates Amen, you're missing completely on his potential as a passer.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member