1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are just I.D.I.O.T.s

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

It is not only the position you play. It is also desire and bbiq. Amen is ahead of Jalen in both the physique, position he plays, and bbiq and desire at least in the rebounding aspect of the game. It’s ok, Jalen just needs to rebound effectively for his position. In orde to be great, Jalen needs to shoot better from everywhere except the rim. Amen needs to get an outside shot to be great. I hope both of them become great

NewAge and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I'm sorry buddy. The difference in how many times Amen gets offensive boards and put backs compared to Jalen is almost 100% due to roles they share in a half court offense. The dude who is the roller and in the dunker spot will naturally have a larger chance of being in position to rebound and put back than the primary ball handler.

So ya, Amen is a more gifted rebounder than Jalen. All that means is if Jalen played the dunker spot role, he'd be worse at it than Amen. That's all it means.

So in conclusion, Amen given his role should have a significantly larger gap in paint scoring efficiency than Jalen but he doesn't which probably means Green is more gifted at creating and making shots at the rim in a half court set against points of attack defense. Amen is a better clean up guy.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

just stop with this nonsense already. You come into every thread pushing Jalen Green like he's a messiah. No one with eyes believes Jalen finished as well as Amen at the rim. Being in the dunker spot means he's competing against bigger forwards/centers and he's still getting the rebounds and dunking it back in their faces. Jalen couldn't even dream of playing this role cus he doesn't have the explosiveness of Amen. You have seen very few people in NBA get up as quick as Amen.

Part of the reason why he gets the boards is because he's not stagnant on offense like Jalen. If Jalen doesn't have the ball he just stands around. Amen goes after every ball, cuts, makes the rights reads. Things you just can't teach. He's a much better prospect than Jalen, he's already a better overall player because he might be the best defensive point guard in the league already. If he can shoot 3s at 30 plus percent we have a star. By far the highest potential on our team. Plays winning basketball. I'm excited to see what his future had in store for us.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

So is Clint Capella a better finisher than guys like prime DRose or Ja Morant?

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Statistically yes. Clint Capela has one of the highest effective fg% in league history.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I'm sorry but most of Amen's put back type pts come from doing exactly that....

Hovering around the baseline and timing his steps when a teammate shoots.

I don't see much of any difference between Amen and Jalen as off ball cutters. The main difference is attention given to the respective player. Opposing teams often play off Amen making it easier for him to slip into the paint while opposing defenses care more about where Green is on the court. Green is just also in significantly less opportunities to do any movement off ball because he is the guy usually with the ball in his hands.

Again you are attributing roles to hustle. Green can't hover around the baseline waiting for boards or a dump off pass and be a primary pnr ball handler in the same possession.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Thanks for expressing my point.

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why can't he? Because he's lazy and doesn't have the will to win. Not like he has the ball
    all the time. Sengun is a brilliant passer why doesn't he cut and play that role more. Instead he plays inefficient terrible basketball that only looks good 25% of time when he's hot and is pure trash the rest of the season.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

How is that expressing your point? If Jalen played the dunker spot he wouldn't finish as well as Amen. Facts. No chance he can raise up that quick and get it over those defenders. So amen is a better finisher,

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Why cant Jalen play the dunker spot role?

I don't know man. When we drafted a 6'5" guard i assumed he would not play the dunker spot role. Why would you want Green to play the dunker spot role?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

He absolutely wouldn't finish as well as Amen at the dunker spot role.

And Amen wouldn't finish as well as Green as a self creator against set half court defenses where the point of attack defense is squared in on him.

You see this dynamic all he time between lead guard scorers and big men on their respective team. Every elite guard scorer has a big man who is better at put backs than the lead superstar guard. Does that mean you want that put back artist to be the guy breaking defenses down off he dribble to score at the rim?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Is Clint Capella a better finisher at the rim than prime LeBron?

maj21 likes this.
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No he's not, Clint Capela has one of the highest fg% in the league. I don't know what you are saying.

and Jalen isn't even close to lebron.

And that's the beauty of Amen, he can play Capela role and eventually he can play Jalen's role,And he will do both better than Jalen ever will,

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I don't think you understand my point.

But to be clear. My point is this: because a player is better at offensive rebounding and put backs doesn't make them a overall better finisher at the rim. Clint Capella is better than LeBron at being a lob threat, offensive rebounding and tip ins.

He isn't a better finisher than LeBron.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The object of being a better finisher is Making more shots than the other person at the rim with just as many chances. In that sense yes, Capela is better than Lebron,

I know what you are trying to say, Lebron has a better finishing package at the Rim, just like Kyrie. But it doesn't matter. Capela doesn't need that cuz he over 7 foot few people can block him so he just finishes. So yes he's a better finisher at the rim.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

"It doesn't matter".

It matters if you want to make Capella into a guy who creates him own looks at the rim and remove him away from the roll man/dunker spot role.

"It doesn't matter":confused:

Lol k. Every big man is a better finisher at the rim than every elite primary offensive creator and context doesn't matter o_O

17. Strawberry Gum

Capela has no potential of being a guy who drives to the paint from the perimeter at an elite level. Amen does, even though he's not quite there yet. Still, he is not a complete zero either. There were many instances of him beating his man 1v1 and driving into packed paints to score. He'll get better at it. If his shot improves he'll get even better at it. Combine that with his high level rim finishing. It will be deadly.

BamBam and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Of course Amen is much better talent than Capella when it comes to wing/guard skills. My point was to give an example of an extreme to make a point obvious.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the confusion here is about what it means to "finish around the rim." Like, you wouldn't say DeAndre Jordan was one of the best shooters of all time, right? But he had the highest field goal percentage. That's because most people, when they talk about shooting, are talking specifically about jumpshots from range. They're not talking about uncontested dunks, even though that technically is shooting the basketball.

Same thing here, when people talk about finishing around the rim, it's not just "field goal percentage inside 3 feet." It's about more than that. I certainly wouldn't say Clint Capela is good at finishing around the rim...that's just not really what the term means, at least not to me. Finishing around the rim is about your skill and ability to finish in traffic, typically off the dribble. It can be a penetrating guard, or a big roll man, or whatever, but it's not talking about uncontested lobs/dunks or putbacks from offensive rebounds.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Still doesn't make sense. Smaller players need to develop more skill to fish around the rim I agree. But Deandre Jordan in his prime had no problem finishing at the rim or in traffic. Just cuz he didn't do any layups doesn't mean he couldn't finish in traffic. Dude put everyone on a poster. Same with Capela. They made max contracts because they were elite at finishing around the rim.

Of course we would never ask Deandre Jordan to create his own shot by getting to the rim. That's not what we are talking about here.