1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Amare a 'top 20 player'???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hpscc, Feb 23, 2003.

1. hpscc

hpscc Member

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0223nbabaseline0223.html

In Amare's corner

While Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant of the Lakers say they're impressed with Houston rookie Yao Ming, neither thinks that Yao is Rookie of the Year.

That award, both agree, should go to Amare Stoudemire of the Suns.

"Truthfully, I don't think it's close," Bryant said.

O'Neal, who has befriended Stoudemire, said his "young friend" is already among the top 20 players in the NBA.

"And next year, a top 10 player," O'Neal said.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yao Ming’s 3 game average against the Lakers this year:
    33.7 minutes a game
    .548 F/G percentage
    2.33 Blocks
    10 rebounds
    2 assists
    18 points

Amare Stoudemire’s 3 game average against the Lakers this year:
    31.3 minutes
    .324 F/G percentage
    .33 blocks
    8.3 rebounds
    .7 assists
    11.3 points

They are right, it's really not close.

3. Sane

Sane Member

LOL, I know why they think this.

They look at Yao, and compare him with Shaq himself.

Then they look at Amare, and compare him with Samaki Walker and Robert Horry.

Seriiously though, for LA people, seeing a good C is not that impressive. They assume it's normal to have a C as good as Yao, while they think that having a PF is a rarity. Just like we don't notice the lack of great PG's in the league.

Next year, Yao will be the #2 C, and most probably a top 20 player. But Amare can MAYBE MAYBE say he'll be top 20. That's a little optimistic though.

4. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

I would have thought Kobe would be on Yao's side since he might want him in the LA jersey in 3-4 years time :D ;)

-G'day-

5. Sane

Sane Member

The way he's playing, Kobe would only need 2 Lakers jerseys, his own, and his own in case the first one tears! :eek:

I love how he's shutting everyone the hell up btw.

6. carayip

carayip Member

Hmmm I think that the Boston (?) coach also said that Amare could dominate and be a top 10 or even top 5 player in the future.

On the other hand a lot of people said that Yao lacked aggressiveness to be a dominant center.

I guess that Yao did attract doubt and criticism since the draft more than anyone eh?

7. noskrillwill

noskrillwill Member

Seriously, how many foreign players in their first year just come in the league and are outright aggresive as rookies?

That's like moving to a new country and thinking you can take some hoes home on your first night out on the town...

8. FlyWilliams

FlyWilliams Contributing Member

They are statistically close right now, but Yao shoots so much better, he could run away with it if he would just get a little more aggressive.

Also, I am not sure when they vote on ROY, but if its after the playoffs begin, it will be a non-issue if the Rockets don't get in.

9. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

It's not even close?
    This is just a level below Steph's "Amare is better than KG at 20" and "The difference between the two is the same as comparing Jordan to Elie".......wasn't KG an all-star at 20?

Anyway, top 20?
    No disrespect towards Amare, but there's already a better version of him in the league, Kenyon Martin.

10. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Sure and that is why the WHOLE Unitied States voted Yao into the All-Star game in his Rookie season. Kobe and Shaq are saying Amare is better because they fear that Yao is going to over take their crown. It is just like the way Shaq trash talks the Kings by calling them "Queens". Do you realy think that Shaq thinks the Kings suck? Shaq and Kobe seem to allways trash talk the ones they fear can over take them as champs.

11. carayip

carayip Member

I don't rate Kenyon Martin as an offensive player. I would take Amare over him.

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Who cares what they think?

13. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

It is very likely either Sun or Rox cannot make the playoff.
    If the ROY is the match between Amare and Yao, then I would say the winner goes to the playoff team.

KH

14. prlen

prlen Member

Shaq Kobe Dirk Steve Garnnet Answer Truth Kidd Weber Duncan
    McGrady Payton Malone JORDAN Allen Wallace Finley Marbury Marion.....................................
    Top 20? :p

pf top 10

Dirk Garnnet Weber Duncan Malone Bigben Wallace J.O'Neal
    Gasol Howard..............................

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

kh0001 is probably right about ROY. Yao has picked up his game again after hitting the wall and that is a very encouraging sign for us. Everyone will have his own opinion but it doesn't matter at all as long as we keep on winning.

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Although my view would be considered biased because I am a Rockets fan, I still believe that Yao should win the ROY. He has played absketball non-stop for over two or three years now. He had to adjust to a new culture, adjust to the speed of the NBA game, and most importantly is making a difference on his team.

However, no matter how well Yao does, I have heard an overwhelming response from sports anchors (ESPN, Fox Sports, BDSSP, etc.) that all choose Amare over Yao. The main reasons are that he came out of high school, he has his team in the playoffs, and he has the respect of established veterans in the game. As much as I want to say that is bullsh!t, there really is no argument against it.

If the draft were held again today, I would still choose Yao #1. Its not very often that you get a center that in his rookie season comes in and makes an immediate impact. Especially when everyone (except for a few faithful) expected Yao to take two to three seasons to be effective, little did we know it would only take him 15-20 games.

As for the "Yao is not aggressive" talk, that is not the type of game he grew up playing. But from the point he was at the beginning of the season to now, he has shown alot of aggression. Then again, why all this talk about not showing aggression? Tim Duncan never shows that much aggression, he is also considered a gentle giant, but also one of the top five players. I guess I'm just a little frustrated that a non-aggressive player like Pau Gasol can win the ROY, but the knock on Yao is that he lacks aggression.

Amare is a special talent, and will be a great player at some point in his career if he continues growing at the rate that he is going. But I still believe that Yao will also be a great player as well and will be the best at his position in two years. So no matter whether Yao wins ROY or not, he'll be the ROY in my book, and thats all that matters.

17. prlen

prlen Member

amare better than them areadey?

JOKE!

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It's pretty obvious that the Rockets and the Suns are fighting for the 8th playoff spot. Probably, the playoff team gets the ROY, also.

19. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Amare is obviously an impressive player in his rookie year but Yao is the biggest thing happened to NBA since Shaq. Statwise, Yao has a slight advantage over Amare. Off the court, Yao brings so much more to his team with his public appeal. Amare was recently fined by Phoenix for violating some team rules. You think we will ever catch Yao breaking any rules....

If Suns were given the #1 draft choice last year knowing what they know now, does anyone seriously believe they would take Amare over Yao? In fact, would any GM around the league not choose Yao? :D

You know you have a good thing when everyone is trying to tell you otherwise.

20. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yao has teams gearing their defenses to stop him. I'd like to see what Yao could do if he got the single coverage Amare gets. And I'd like to see how lost Amare would be if teams swarmed him every time he got the ball like Yao gets.