1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Alternet] Time's Up for Tom DeLay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Oct 27, 2004.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is wacked but a good read :) No way DeLay loses an election, that is as long as he is not in jail at the time :)

Time's Up for Tom DeLay
    By Evan Derkacz, AlterNet. Posted October 27, 2004.

The ethically challenged Texan House Majority Leader has represented his district of Sugarland for 10 terms. It doesn't look like the people want him back for an 11th.

I am the federal government."

– Tom DeLay, responding to a government employee who tried to prevent him from smoking on government property. The New York Times, June 13, 2003

Think of Tom DeLay as that snotty, privileged kid on the playground. He's already gotten at least four strikes, blames the ump, threatens those who suggest he sit down, and then tells his friends that he hit a home run. Oh, and he's got all the candy.

Now imagine that kid as the House Majority Leader, third in line for the presidency, and head of a political action committee that distributes money and assistance to Republican incumbents and candidates – 241 out of 246 Republicans in the House to be exact.

The 10th term Republican from Sugarland, Texas – known as "The Hammer" for his vindictive politics – was served a subpoena last week and faces a forehead-slapping fourth letter of admonition next week from the bipartisan House Ethics Committee.

The latest has the committee investigating whether or not he illegally funneled corporate money into Texas statehouse races through TRMPAC, his political action committee. It just may be the one that sticks since, according to the Center for American Progress, "criminal indictments for alleged illegal fundraising have (already) been issued by a Texas grand jury against three of DeLay's cronies." One faces 99 years in the pokey.

You might expect a man with such a soiled record to be headed for certain defeat in his bid for an 11th term. But the powerful Texas Republican appeared to be coasting into the November 2 election – until recently.

Once, Twice, Three times a Defendant

DeLay's special relationship with congressional codes of conduct, and ethics in general, goes back quite a way. In a 1997 letter, the House Ethics Committee wrote that his actions "create(d) the impression that official access or action are linked with campaign contributions...."

Since that time the accumulated scandals, lawsuits, and rebukes have prompted even the typically staid press to make these rather forceful comments:

"He has used his power for self-aggrandizement... he has scoffed at the law, House rules and simple propriety. DeLay has abused his position and embarrassed the House." -Austin American-Statesman, 10/10/04

"(T)he man's got a problem.... It smacks of a pattern of abuse. Worse, it reveals a contempt for how the House should work." -Dallas Morning News, 10/12/04

Even the Chicago Tribune, fresh from endorsing Bush for president, wrote:

"[DeLay's] angry reaction to being admonished by his peers shows that DeLay is too arrogant to mend his ways." -Chicago Tribune, 10/11/04

If these critiques sound extreme, they can't touch his resume. DeLay recently had a banner week during which he received two letters of admonishment from the House Ethics Committee.

The first showcased his trademark contempt for the American political process. In order to ensure that he had enough votes to pass the Medicare Prescription Drug Act, DeLay offered to endorse Republican Nick Smith's son in his race for Congress in exchange for the senior Smith's vote.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Like the head of a crime family, DeLay had others do his dirty work. In Smith's own words: "And they (Republicans in Congress) said, well, if you don't change your vote – this takes place at about 4 am on a Saturday morning – then some of us are going to work to make sure your son doesn't get to Congress." After he voted no and even though the bill did get enough "votes," the Chicago Sun-Times reported: "(Rep.) Duke Cunningham of California and other Republicans taunted him that his son was dead meat." Unsurprisingly, his son went on to lose his bid for Congress.

The second was more of a blanket admonishment, encompassing as it did two separate events. Eyebrows were raised after DeLay attended a golf tournament with energy executives shortly after receiving $25,000 from them for "a seat at the table" and shortly before deliberating on an energy bill in which said executives had a vested interest. Sounds an awful lot like that 1997 committee criticism that DeLay gives the "impression" of trading money for influence.

Also included in that single admonishment was the illegal use of the FAA to track down a group of Texas Democrats who had fled the state to protest DeLay's partisan redistricting plan. FAA officials reported afterward that they were led to believe that this action was ordered on behalf of the Congress as a whole.

In the wake of this banner week of admonishments the Republican chairman of the ethics committee, Joel Heffley, was threatened by Republican lawmakers. Though he refused to mention them by name, his comments were somewhat less discrete: "I've been attacked; I've been threatened," he told The Hill.

The list goes on. Lou Dubose, who co-authored "The Hammer: Tom DeLay, God, Money, and the Rise of the Republican Congress," drew up what amounts to a rap sheet in a recent LA Weekly article for those who thrive on the gory details. Suffice it to say that DeLay's three reprimands since 1999 is, according to Dubose, "a distinction no other member of the House not currently in prison can claim."

DeLay's Demise

Given the priority progressives have given the presidential race, it's important to note just how many groups are simultaneously working toward DeLay's demise. Once thought to be unbeatable, recent polls show that repeated ethics violations, civil lawsuits, and increasingly firm and high profile criticism in the media have taken their toll.

It wasn't too long ago that people like blogger DailyKos, who calls DeLay "an all-around scumbag," were supporting the Majority Leader's dark horse opponent, Richard Morrison, simply as a tactic: "Morrison was a nobody. My hope was to simply force DeLay to campaign more in the district, thus keeping him from campaigning and fundraising for other Republicans. Now Morrison is a serious candidate with a legitimate chance to win."

Buoyed by recent polls, groups like Campaign for America's Future, Campaign Money Watch, and Howard Dean's Democracy for America have joined together to defeat DeLay. The groups are using a number of tactics to get the job done, including powerful TV ads, nationwide fundraising, and even a campaign to shame other Republicans into distancing themselves both politically and financially from the increasingly embattled congressman.

As a result it isn't nearly the long shot it once was. While the broad stroke wasn't especially promising as recently as early October, DeLay led 47% to 33%, it is important to recall that he typically receives around 60% of the vote.

A look at the details further set the stage for an upset, however unlikely.

The most important secondary indicator of a candidate's strength is the favorable/unfavorable rating. Or, in English: Do more people love him or hate him? In this case while roughly 1 in 6 viewed DeLay "very favorably," a full 1 in 4 viewed him "very unfavorably." There were more who vehemently opposed his re-election than vigorously supported it.

But the most interesting statistic of all surrounds his ethics woes. While 34% said that they'd be less likely to vote for him as a result of his violations, this came from a poll that predated his most recent, and highly publicized subpoena. And, at the time of the poll, only half of those respondents supported Morrison – largely due to his lack of name recognition.

While there's little to suggest that Morrison's name is headed for your local marquee, the proliferation of organizations working against DeLay have increased the likelihood of an upset; enough at least to frighten the bejeezus out of the ultra-conservative Club For Growth, who have begun to throw money into pro-DeLay advertising.

Yet despite this last ditch effort to repair DeLay's Hemorrhaging public image it's beginning to look like the combined weight of the scandals and Democracy for America's TV ads are taking their toll. The latest poll shows DeLay's lead has been cut to 42% to 35% (under 50% for an incumbent typically spells doom).

But there's a final note of irony here. Due to the recent redistricting, for which DeLay lobbied so "passionately," and for which he faces a possible conviction, 30% of voters are new to DeLay's district. It's extremely difficult to predict which way they'll vote but if the ethical campaign watchdogs keep throwing strikes they'll be sending this kid back to the dugout.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I kind of regret registereing in College Station this year. I though Chet Edwards needed all the votes he could get and that DeLay, who "represents" me, was gonna coast on in. It looks like there's a chance to vote him out now.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'll give a hip-hip-hooray if Tom Delay and Nancy Pelosi are voted out of office. Tom Daschle would be a nice consolation prize.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

As much as DeLay needs to go, he'll easily end up winning the congressional district on name recognition alone. Very rarely does a 10-term congressman lose his seat.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Where is Newt these days?
    (it can be done)

6. thumbs

If I were Tom Daschle, I'd be very upset that Mr. Kerry hasn't come to help in my time of need. Mr. Daschle may not survive the long, harsh Dakota winter to see the cherry blossoms of Washington this spring.

But Daschle will not be gone too Thune for my taste. The country will be much better off without solons from the Far Left (Pelosi et al) and the Far Right (DeLay et al).

#6 thumbs, Oct 27, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I was in his office in DC my senior year in HS back in 99. I think he was minority whip back then. He has some cool autographed Nolan Ryan stuff.

When Bush won something in some election my senior year (Fall 98 or Spring 99), I forgot what it was, but the Republicans of Htown had their celebration thing at the hotel across from the Summit/Compaq Center. My friends were playing a quartet gig for them so I went along. I jacked Tom Delay's nametag (I don't think he ever showed up) and gave it to my government teacher in HS. I also gave her some documents when I got to visit Capital Hill that were "property of the federal government"...nothing important just briefings mostly.

My parents live in Sugar Land where I did HS. Delay will never be ousted because overall Sugar Land ain't got too many problems. I'm sure the economy has hit quite a few people there, my family included, but if it hits you too hard, you ain't gonna be living in Sugar Land much longer.

Oski, did you go to AHS or something, or were you a Clements guy?

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

DeLay is one of the larger tools in politics. Recently he refused to debate his opponents in Galveston County at a debate set up by high school students because it would validate Morrison's campaign and because the media wouldn't cover it. Uhh... that's slightly contradictory, Tom... how could Morrison's name recognition improve if the media didn't cover the event? Just read his quotes in the following story. He cares nothing about having an informed constituency. Of course, when DeLay got wind that the media WOULD cover the debate, he was there with bells on, despite claiming he wouldn't be.

I went to the debate, and there were about 200 people there. I'd say a majority of them supported Morrison, which is the real reason DeLay didn't want to show up. DeLay did have some supporters representin' too, though.

DeLay won't debate opponent
    By Marty Schladen
    The Daily News
    Published October 16, 2004
    House Majority Leader Tom DeLay on Friday said that he would not debate Democratic challenger Richard Morrison before the Nov. 2 election.

Morrison and DeLay, both of Sugar Land, are squaring off in the newly redrawn District 22. The district includes a swath of western Galveston County, including portions of Friendswood, La Marque, Santa Fe and Dickinson.

The new boundaries are the result of a bitter redistricting battle engineered by DeLay that promises to bolster the margin by which the Republican Party controls the House of Representatives.

As a challenger with no experience in electoral politics, Morrison, an environmental lawyer, is trying to raise his profile.

On Friday, DeLay said that his latest poll put his support at 56 percent, while Morrison’s was much lower. “His name ID is nothing,” DeLay said.

Morrison says he has raised $500,000 — more than all of DeLay’s past challengers put together. In a bid to introduce himself to voters, Morrison has been running television spots portraying himself as a regular guy.

A debate with DeLay also would raise Morrison’s profile. There is also the fact that some voters might like to see the candidates go head to head before deciding whom to vote for.

“I want to know why he’s ducking me,” Morrison said last week in a visit to The Daily News. “What’s he scared of?”

At least so far, DeLay, the No. 2 man in the House, has calculated that Morrison has more to gain from a debate than DeLay has to lose by avoiding one. “A debate would be for his benefit, not for mine,” DeLay said of Morrison.

He also said that a debate with Morrison would go largely unnoticed. “Unfortunately, debates in this area have never had an impact because media doesn’t cover them,” DeLay said. “Television never covers them. I’ve been doing this for 20 years and you show up to a forum where there are more candidates at the forum than constituents. I’d much rather be out with constituents, meeting them and going to events.”

9. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

The argument for term limits only needs two words: Tom DeLay.

10. thumbs

Or "Nancy Pelosi." Or "Tom Daschle."

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I have to ask, why did you throw them into this mix? We were talking about DeLay and how he's been admonished by the ethics committee and how he's in trouble for possibly breaking the law. What does that have to do with Pelosi or Daschle? I know what you are doing here. We've got DeLay in obvious trouble, no way to really defend him, so you turn it into an oppurtunity to condemn the Democratic leader of the Senate and the Democratic leader of the House. It's so obvious, it's not even funny. You say they are too liberal but you won't be bothered to explain why. Nobody here mentioned anything about DeLay being too conservative. Every complaint lobbed his way in here was about the way he conducts his business.

I'm going to give you props though because I had to reread this thread before I reacted. You were almost subtle enough to get away with it. Maybe if you had thrown Frist into the mix, I would have believed you.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The fact that Tom DeLay (and people like him) achieve power and then maintain power within the federal government should be as much proof as anyone needs that the system we have for electing our officials is not working as well as it should, or working well at all for that matter.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I got a call last night at home from the American Conservative Union (recorded message) telling me DeLay is a conservative's wet dream. DeLay must be trying to not be embarassed by a close election.

14. thumbs

It was too late to throw in Bill Frist. Can I do it here? It seems my 1440 minutes is up.:D

All I want for Christmas is Democrats and Republicans who can find common ground rather than divisive trenches. I am an extreme moderate!

#14 thumbs, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Is that not an oxymoron?

16. thumbs

Very astute. That was the point.;) Also known as a walking, talking anomaly.

#16 thumbs, Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004