1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

As I posted here much earlier Ataman is #2 synonym for decadence in basketbal coaching just following Greg Popovich.

In national team he has luxury of having switchable bigs (Alp, Osman Ercani, Sertac Sanli, Sadik Emir Kabaca,..), NBA&Summer League players (Cedi Osman, Furkan Korkmaz, Onuralp Bitim, Sehmus Hazer...) but still sucked last few years.

He could not use Alperen properly, destroyed B2B Euro-champs Anadolu Efes, lost his job and moved to Greece - it has become habit in Turkey, once a greats move to Greece to coach, former national football coach Fatih Terim followed him and not creating miracles in Athens.

Listening Ataman is similar to listening Popovich for drafting picks nowadays. Easy to pick #1 Wemby but not great to pick Joshua Primo over summer camp attendee Alperen Sengun.

Ataman is my age, crossed a lot in Istanbul and Northern Italy, glad to have that kind of ambitious guy around for the last 30+ years but needs a sabbatical as I did. I would rather to see him to evaluate his shortcomings rather than to criticise Alperen.

He is saying Alperen is not big is extremely funny or tragic. Who was the main C Ataman employed in his successful Efes era? Bryant Dunston, 6'8".

His undermining of Dzanan Musa is another textbook story. He didn't let Nets drafted Musa to play for 6 month, Musa moved to Spain and voted MVP there, playing currently in historically greatest European basketball team: Real Madrid.

#11641 Ankara1923, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    HardenReturns and plegus like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree with @Clutch that we must not trade Tari. And I think he is one of our top 3-4 most important players, and one of my two favourite players.

Just looked at all kinds of numbers though, and still trying to find the numbers that say he has been more impactful than Alpi and FVV? Alpi is no.1 in almost all counting stats, in Win Shares, in Box Plus Minus, in VORP.

Edit: Tari does have the highest rebounds (offensice and total), steals, blocks per 36, which matches the eye test. I do love his energy and impact on the court.

#11642 AroundTheWorld, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  3. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

Tari needs to stay a rocket for a long time

Germanturk, topfive, cml750 and 4 others like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

100%!!!

cml750 likes this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

On/off net rating would be my guess without looking it up. Tari has always had crazy numbers on that stat.

6. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Rockets will be a very successful team in near future but only Alp&Tari can bring us rings.

We will be all Guntarians, resistance is futile. I am also happy to be Guntarbarian.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Great guess! Indeed.

[​IMG]

P.S.: Look at Jock Landale LMAO

Ankara1923 likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

With Tari and Bari healthy, we'd easily be 7 games over .500. Instead, we're floating in the ocean with our arms reaching out for a life saver and Stone is like, "I got you, bros. You just got to wait until Feb. 8, at exactly 2:58 pm Eastern time."

HardenReturns, cml750 and Ankara1923 like this.
  9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Will find out 2:58 Eastern Time in GMT and will put alarm on if it is a sleeping period here

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am guessing both @harold bingo and clutch are referring to

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/easonta01/on-off/2024

The word impact is very misleading to describe this stat but is commonly used.

Edit: Tari is great but one reason tari is so good at this is, you are basically not starting a legit starter.

HardenReturns and harold bingo like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

+/- stats have a lot of noise. They depend on who you play with, who you play against, who you replace when you sub in and who replaces you when you are subbed out. All of those things may have nothing to do with your impact to the game.

They are not useless, but they need to be read in a much deeper way to know what is happening.

harold bingo and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Member

I took @Clutch post to be in reference to Coach saying the same thing.

This doesn’t have to be a comparison to Sengun. Coach is just saying Tari’s numbers are “off the charts.”

Also here,

AroundTheWorld and plegus like this.
  13. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Alp and Tari will compete each other for so-called "Franchise" concept.

Good luck for both of them.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Franchise player? I.D.I.O.T @Os Trigonum

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

We are very close to 600 pages before All-star break target. Come on ragazzi

16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yeah, +/- or on/off are heavily dependent on how the team uses you. Tari has great impact on the game anyway, which is very easy to see. But I have seen the same argument to justify kpj and green having the most positive impact on the game past two years, which can't be further from the truth. That's why I wanted to point out the incorrect use of impact to describe the on/off stat. Not that i don't agree Tari is one of the most impactful players in the team and definitely impacting in a unique way that is hard to find.
    As I said, I didn't take it as a comparison to Sengun. And I don't even find comparing Tari and Sengun because they have very different roles, and the expectations are very different. But yes, Tari's impact is something to be mentioned. He is special.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Love Tari. Never trade him!

cml750 likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

@Clutch

I don't fully understand this graphic. Can someone explain it to me?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member