1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. the11mingdynasty

Improvements I’m seeing this year from Alpi is his core strength and picking and choosing his spots on D. He was playing bully ball with unibrow and Bron. Harder to do that with bricks like Jokic and Zubacs.

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

In comparison, if the Laker fans said that about Sengun after a 20 and 10 performance, just imagine what Wrrior fans were saying about Chet after a game tying 3pt and a 36 and 10 performance??

Like SOFs, they probably think he's the next coming

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you are laughing, his trajectory so far is extremely comparable. Now, of course Jokic kept growing into more and more of a monster, and it is not a given that Alpi will keep growing to that "monster level", but of all players in the league, he is the only one who is on that trajectory right now, given his age and experience so far.

noppeper and cml750 like this.
  4. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

To make matters worse he was signed to the Pistons as an assistant coach to help Cade become better only for Cade to shoot 49% TS this year while leading the league in TOs.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is such a badass player. I can't believe people are still arguing **** rather than being excited about the type of player we have. An unselfish, ultra high IQ, efficient player with beautiful passing ability. He also has that fight in him as well, not some soft ass center like we've seen in the past.

You saw how he just went at Bron. Other players would of not done it, but not Sengun, he ****ing took the shot he wanted and tied the game. It sucks that we didn't get a win, but damn, it's such a joy to watch this team grow. Despite FVV being inefficient, I do love the chemistry he has with Sengun. I love that coach loves Sengun. The stars are starting to align for this young man and as a fan I'm so excited for the future of this franchise. Stone better give this man the max as soon as he can make the offer.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Like Ive been saying, he's a good player. But a Star?

Here is a thought, If this was Eldon Brand or another black player, I wonder would it be this much hoopla?

And the reason I say Eldon Brand is because he was similar to Sengun, he avg 20 and 10, avg size for his position, had a good offensive game but was limited defensively. He was just a good player, not great.

So why all the hoola over Sengun?

#8386 hlmbasketball, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Because Sengun is a fantastic player who is very young. He has vision, is unselfish (rare in today's NBA), and makes players around him better. He's gotten better every year. He's smart.

Not everything is about race, rookie.

noppeper, cmoak1982, YaoMac09 and 4 others like this.
  8. cazyapma

cazyapma Member

At this point, you are clearly trolling. Hats off sir. You've done it. Broke even me.

cmoak1982, YaoMac09 and HardenReturns like this.
  9. HamJam

HamJam Member

And they're giving Ivey the same treatment Silas gave Sengun.

10. HamJam

HamJam Member

So glad that almost everyone is on board with Sengun as the corner stone now, and the conversation can start shifting over to how best to build around Sengun.

To that end, one prospect coming into the next draft to start keeping an eye on is Adem Bona at UCLA. Guy is a defensive monster, and is playing more at the 4 this year, defending in space next to another big, and it is making me think we could draft him as a backup 5, and then see if he has the quickness to play the role Robert Williams played at the 4 for Ime's Celtics. He could give the weakside rim defense that we are asking Jabari to do right now, but which Jabari just doesn't seem to be able to do.

Jags likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Elton Brand was a no. 1 pick, so I would say there was more hoopla.

YaoMac09, cml750 and clos4life like this.
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Brand may be one of the worst comparisons I've ever read on this board.

For one, his name is ELTON Brand. Get it right.

Second, Sengun isn't valuable because of the 20/10, but rather for his 6 - 7 assists. In other words, the offense runs through Sengun as a point-forward, AND he still puts up 20 points. Efficiently, too. Brand rarely had above .55 TS% and Sengun's is currently .625.

Third, Sengun currently has the best defensive rating of all the starters, and is anchoring a top 5 defense. Stop downplaying his D.

Fourth, Brand was a multi-time All Star and a #1 pick. I think Sengun will be better, but that's a silly comparison to try and "downplay" a player. Elton Brand was awesome.

noppeper, cryout75, mirdirir and 6 others like this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

Elton Brand was the first overall pick. He also shared ROY honors. He was on the cover of SLAM magazine. He got all the "hoopla".

YaoMac09, cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

This is a horrible take for so many reason.

15. kokozo

kokozo Member

16. maypk

maypk Member

Elton Brand career high fg% average in a season is 53.3%. Alperen averaged 55.3% fg in his sophomore year at age 20.

Elton Brand career high assist average in a season is 3.3. Alperen averaged 4 assists in his sophomore year at age 20.

I can keep going if you still think it is a good comp.

YaoMac09, AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sengun doubters are out of arguments and down to race baiting. Nice.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know I would have started it either way......with a way crappier title.

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  19. HamJam

HamJam Member

Oh wow, didn't even know they had a history together like that. Very cool.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You forgot Trolling.

cmoak1982 likes this.