1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I think they are both going to be really good nba players. KPJ just not a PG

Streakshooter, Caesar and bmelo like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Murray may have had a "down" year, but he's shown to be more than a capable defender throughout his career while working through a major injury. Jalen is nowhere close to Murray as a defender.

Whichever team plays the 3&D game better in the finals will win - most every single team shooting metric points to Denver in this regard.

invocux likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Using archetype as copycat as in "you need to build around certain type of player" is BS. What you need to build around is a GREAT PLAYER, not a type of player.

Using archetype to debunk "you can't win with certain type of player" is not BS. It is the disproof of the above misuse of archetype.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Better defender than Jalen Green at this point for sure (who isn't), but his DBPM isn't great. I'd say his strength is certainly more on offense.

upload_2023-5-30_12-47-24.png

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think your assessment is off.

1) the bar was not a very low bar for the rockets. It was a low bar for the league. For the rockets team, the starting point was that low bar minus the guy who had dominated the ball most before(the other guys had no experience of playing without him), who also happens to be taking a lot of shots and scoring a lot just to be replaced by Nix.

2) He wowed me actually, to some extent. The way the offense ran was much better despite the lack of practice, experience, the top scorer. The increase in the assist numbers was definitely not a coincidence and his assist numbers were better than kpj's season averages, without having to dominate the ball as much as kpj.

3) I agree you can't keep greatness down. And that is exactly the story of Sengun vs Silas. We'll see how things go under Ime.

Drift Monkey and HardenReturns like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

One, Jokic has never been played off the floor.
    Two, Alp isn’t 6’9

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Trajectory is not linear but it is better to be aligned in the trajectory at some point than being behind. And that's what we mean when we talk about the trajectory match.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am on the other side of this. I can imagine to construct a team where sengun is an integral part of the team is easier than doing it with Jokic. He is shorter, more mobile and does not play pg on offense/center in defense. Jokic is a true anomaly.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

i mean i like sengun , but the "evidence" is us going 1-4 and the game we won was the one where he played the least amount of minutes

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could hope Sengün does a little of everything, and the PG that plays will become more of a passing guard than Jamal Murray who does a good job facilitating too.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You can see the +/- on the right. evidence is that the team did not lose because of the fives he played with. Also, it is really unfair to judge a player/system in its first 5-10 games, with no prep and a coach that is not willing to run that system, with the top scorer out/replaced by nix. His fives did quite well nevertheless.

12. invocux

invocux Member

Murray is a better defender than Green lol ppl say anything.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Miami will win it

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ok so would it make you feel better if I said Denver needed to surround Jokic with all + defenders MINUS Murray? Or maybe the #1 defense in the NBA was because of Jokic and not in spite of? Is it surprising that this team didnt push further during the b2b MVP seasons from Jokic? It shouldnt be they have the formula to win today = 3&D.

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Miami will win the championship

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

They better come out with hot shooting and hope that BAM can offer some resistance. I'd say MIA has the coaching advantage. Will Himmy Butler put the team on his shoulders one more time? Im hoping for a long series, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Denver sweep.

17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yes, I am hoping that the height and bully you way inside advantages of Jokic over Sengun will be balanced by using the mobility of Sengun to create a more effective two-three player game with the guards. This I believe will lead to a more flexible game structure.

I think Denver has still room to improve. Jokic is crazy good and they can be so much better than the rest of the league. Playing a game where you get playmaking from the center position is such a huge advantage over the others that even a lesser version of Jokic will put you ahead of anyone else.

Drift Monkey and BamBam like this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sample size is way too small to make a reasonable conclusion. Do better.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with your original premise.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

is it not too small to also make a conclusion the other way around, ******* ?