1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

wingspan? Shot release height?

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Jokic bit bigger, bit bigger wingspan, but in the end, what matters is skill and basketball IQ, and they both have plenty of it.

Drift Monkey, cml750 and daywalker02 like this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Because NBA players are a bastion of success in gauging NBA talent and roster creation, right? By the way, multiple NBA players said the same about KPJ.

4. maj21

maj21 Member

ATW is a Sengun nut hugger. He’s even said that Sengun will be better than Jokic bc he’s more athletic

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Jamal Murray (like Jalen Green) is a lot of things, and a great player, but not a +defender.

(That's actually one of the reasons why I think Miami has a chance - if one of Jokic or Jamal Murray doesn't perform at the highest level, it will get tough. Miami's role players are all outperforming their contracts, easily.)

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do you think other teams would be more interested in Sengun or more interested in KPJ?

It's hilarious - even the KPJ stans/Sengun haters in the end always have to admit that Sengun will be much more sought after than KPJ.

Drift Monkey and cml750 like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't think I ever said with certainty that Sengun will be better than Jokic. What I said is that at age 20, their output is comparable. And yes, Sengun is more athletic than Jokic. Sengun dunks about 3-4 times as much as Jokic, and he blocks more shots. Basically, despite all the stuff you say about him, he gets up more.

#3607 AroundTheWorld, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Drift Monkey and cml750 like this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Wasn't KPJ one of the youngest to ever put up a 50 pt triple double? So we have elite trip dub C and PG of the future. Nah i'm ashamed to even speak like that. I actually love Alpy.

HardenReturns likes this.
  9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I think AlP is 100% the better player, but I do think KPJ would be more sought after. KPJ’s catch and shoot ability along with having the physical tools to play good D makes him worth trading for. Most NBA teams only want a big who can’t shoot if they are also good defenders.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Okay. I rest my case. lol

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jokic is also a mobile elephant among gazelles and rabbits.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

the catch 22 with Sengun is with his unique skillset you either build an entire offensive around it or he becomes ineffective. Sort of the Harden dilemma. So ya Sengun is a much higher ceiling player than KPJ but you don't have to change your entire offensive system for KPJ. So a team has to fully commit to Sengun.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I love Jokic, but lol he always looks a bit like he is lumbering around on the court. I can see why scouts and teams passed on him, actually more so than with Alpi. But once again, skill and IQ beat pure athleticism.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

With Sengün you can actually bench him, bench Harden and see what he does.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I mean Harden is the far more established player so it's going to hurt his feelings more.

Alpi definitely has the humble bag in him in that he doesn't become a headcase if his coach gives him a undeserved diminished role.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I do think we should build around Sengun, but I don't think your statement is true. Silas tried pretty much everything to marginalize Sengun and except for a short stretch of a few games in January didn't really run things through him, and yet, Sengun was highly productive whenever he was on the court.

It was mostly just this stretch of a few games where Silas not only played Sengun for more than 30 minutes, but sort of ran things through him. That was shortly after Sengun had his first triple double.

[​IMG]

Look at the output he produced when he was actually given the opportunity.

Shortly thereafter, Silas didn't play him at all in one game (supposedly he was ill or had some injury, but seemed bogus), then only played him 15 minutes, certainly took the ball out of his hands again, for sure.

Drift Monkey, cml750 and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not know about that but he is developing an ego right now.....so I would not bet on it.

Harden's body language has been really lackadaisical when he does not have the ball in his hands.

randerson and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I'll say this. Alpi needs to expand his range so he can be more plug and play. Fortunately I think most of his range issues is a confidence thing as his ft% is good and his form isn't broken. He just needs to mentally be confident to let his jump shots fly without hesitation.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I'll say this. Alpi needs to expand his range to here he can be more plug and play. Fortunately I think most of his range issues is a confidence thing as his ft% is good and his form isn't broken. He just needs to mentally be confident to let his jump shots fly without hesitation.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

NBA has always been a copycat league. I'm completely okay trying to do a Nuggets build around baby Jokic with Udoka prioritizing defense. The trouble would be the guards. Do we stay with exactly what we've been doing, but prioritize off ball movement for Baby Joker to operate? Hard to see both Green and KPj running around screens all game long, but we didn't really get a chance to see it so MAYBE?? Worth a try?

C: Joker/Sengun
    PF: Gordon/Garbua or Tari?
    SF: MPj/Bari

For whatever baby Joker loses to the real Joker, we could have a far more balanced offensive and defensive frontcourt partners to make up for a lot if they reach their potential.

Here's the problem as it's been during our troubling years.
    Obviously the system revolves around Joker and baby Joker being the primary distributer.
    Nuggets run 2 SG's. Murray is an elite efficient scoring guard with playoff time ice in his veins. KCP plays his role and makes his 3's(42%).

Clearly KPj running the point didn't work, but he's a great spot up shooter like KCP.

Green is an up and coming big scorer but will he ever be efficient? I think Green can show ice in his veins if he gets playoff moments. Can Green become more consistent and better secondary distributor?

Can KPj take a step back from the Head Honcho mentality and spend his energy finding his spot ups and screens and tertiary distributor on O and playing defense primarily?

OR Enter rookie draft pick. Miller/Scoot/Amen/Ausur and Green backcourt? KPJ the 6th man Bruce Brown role/Previously Bones Hyland who was more tunnel vision-shoot every time.

Whatever route-i'd much rather it be an internal build vs short sighted money spending to try and be relevant again ASAP. Remember Mike Malone and the Nuggets mostly have been consistently built internally and growing together with tweaks here and there. They didn't throw this **** together last minute. They went through their growing pains including missing the playoffs Jokers first 3 years. As we Clutch City fans know, those victories are so much sweeter when they're earned.