1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' REAL franchise player - all other threads are copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, they had him for 8 years or what.

If it were easy to build around him, it would not be his first finals wouldn't it?

Eventually he became so great that it didn't matter.

Problem is the Rockets are hardly the Nuggets.

2. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

i must add my salt to jokic sengun comperasion ,jokic was disrespected as sengun in his rookie year but in his second year coach ,fo,and team owner trust him and build the team around him ,but rockets owner( tilman's sons) ,fo and coaches did not have a common ground after two years and still everybody has a different opinion about team build. this is the frustrating thing about rockets and dissociates rockets fo from the likes of nuggets,spurs,bucks ,heat etc. other than heat those teams has a common ground small market and act like a family.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

Sengun fans living through Jokic once again

anthony59237 and DasouthDakota like this.
  4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Sengun's shortcomings aren't the FO's fault lol

DasouthDakota and maj21 like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Do you want me to pull up your posts where you said a team with "the Jokic archetype" would get exposed in the playoffs?

Of course, now the haters' narrative has changed to "but Jokic is unique" and "Sengun will never be like Jokic".

6. maj21

maj21 Member

Bc Jokic is the goat of his archetype. And yes, jokic got played off the floor in previous years. Didn’t happen this time bc the dude is just on another level. Sengun will always be 6’9” with 2 left feet on defense. I have said let’s see how he does under Ime, so I’m holding on to extremely small hope

7. Downtown Sniper

I literally do not know what point you're trying to make.

Your comments have absolutely nothing to do with the words you've quoted.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow, that was a Mutfak.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If ATW is right and sengun can peak as a top 5 player ever, then the archetype won’t matter. The problem with trying to recreate jokic is he’s elite at everything on offense. Shooting, passing, post play, touch, literally everything. You saw how bad sabonis was because he can’t shoot. Jokic is basically a dirk level shooter. But archetype won’t matter if ATW is right

maj21 likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If Sengun does somehow beat all odds and forcibly re-align stars, then that means he would have created his own archetype.

HardenReturns likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Denver had to surround Jokic with a whole roster of + defenders in order to make it work AND also were the 2nd best team in the NBA in hitting 3 point shots this year helping them to bust through.

3&D works even with a ball dominant post player that is a suspect defender - THAT is the secret not anything to do with a singular player in todays NBA.

maj21 likes this.
  13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

He had a chance to make the team his own after KPJ went down, but didn't seize it. While we can all agree that he managed the offense better, that was 1) a very low bar to clear and 2) he didn't do nearly enough to wow anyone. We can argue that Silas didn't do him any favors, but let's not pretend that doesn't apply for everyone else on the team. At the end of the day, you can't keep greatness down. With that said, Sengun (just like Green and Bari) have the capacity for greatness, but he certainly didn't do much to fulfill it last season IMO.

14. conquistador#11

Yes, but you guys tend to take the player at the hof level and completely erase the struggles. It took Jokic to the age of 25 to be a consistent automatic from 10-15ft. That's 4 to 5 full seasons of offseason progression from where Alpi is today.

When I see ATW comparing Alpi to Jokic, I take it as a comparison in trajectory at their specific age. And it's very promising. So is Green's.
    You can't erase the years. Nobody is saying 20* yearl old Api is as good as 25-27 year old Jokic. Well, there is like 2 posters saying current Alpi is better than any player but they're just trolling.

*21 now

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Trajectory is not linear. I don't care how Sengun (or any young player) compares with greats at the same age. It is an asinine endeavor as everyone is different.

16. conquistador#11

Which is why I say if he makes the next stride. But it's all there is to compare. All you can do is wait. But some of you don't have the patience for the progression

Drift Monkey and cml750 like this.
  17. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Don't forget Sengun's a Euro. They tend to listen to the coach rather than taking matters into their own hands.
    Being the good soldier he is, I'm sure Sengun just did whatever was asked of him; no more and no less.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He only became the youngest center ever to record a couple of triple doubles, before the ball was taken out of his hands again by Silas.

He wowed quite a few NBA players.

Just not you.

I'll take their word over yours.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Jokic hits crazy high difficulty shots that Sengun will never be big enough to even get off. He can be a mini Joker all he wants, but a mini Joker is still a much less effective Joker. He could just the same be a still smaller Brad Miller/DMO combo. You could say well, Sengun can use his smaller size to beat people off the dribble but i mean..i don't think he's even as quick as Joker who does take his man off the dribble and creates from all over the floor. Joker clearly has superior footwork and quicker feet even at that size.

Joker should be a 3peat MVP right now and to make up for it, he's winning a FMVP and his first championship. The man was already inching close to the greatest C's ever, and he's leveling up into the most elite group of the best. He's ahead of Walton, Cowens, Unseld, Ewing, Dwert...I think this finals appearance puts him ahead of David Robinson, win or not because David got his 2 rings as Duncan's number 2 at the end of his career(I would probably take Robinson over Joker but career wise Joker is reaching an edge). Jokic is literally right behind Moses and Hakeem and Shaq and Wilt and Russell and Kareem IMO and if you argue against that, you can only realistically place him a few slots back. A win(and FMVP) and he passes Moses for me. A win but no FMVP, i'm good keeping him tied with Admiral.

Yall get that, right? That's so unfair to Alpy.
    I know he models his game after his favorite player, but he's going to have to remix it for his own advantages/disadvantages a lot like Kobe did with his MJ mimicking.

DeBeards and HardenReturns like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Jokic is maybe an inch taller (and about 40 pounds heavier). Pretty sure Sengun jumps at least an inch higher than Jokic, and yes, he is quicker.

There goes the rest of your post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, when Jokic was drafted, he was about Alpi's weight (maybe 10 lbs more):

https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Jokic-69963/#:~:text=Weight: 253 lbs.

Drift Monkey and cml750 like this.