1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alou to manage Giants!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

A good choice IMO...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1113/1460334.html

Alou signs three-year deal to manage Giants
    Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- Felipe Alou, a former Giants outfielder and former Montreal Expos skipper, was announced Wednesday as the new manager of the San Francisco Giants.

Alou, 67, inherits a team that came within six outs of winning a World Series title and replaces the extremely popular Dusty Baker, whose contract was not renewed.

Baker, a three-time NL Manager of the Year, managed the Giants for a decade. The decision that he would not return came less than two weeks after San Francisco lost to Anaheim in Game 7 of the World Series.

Baker's agent began preliminary contract talks Tuesday with the Chicago Cubs and hopes to reach a deal with the club in the next several days.

The Giants said in a conference call that Alou signed a three-year contract. Terms were not disclosed.

Alou, who was 691-717 in 10 seasons managing the Expos, is a native of the Dominican Republic. The Giants had said they would try to hire another minority to replace Baker.

Alou played for the Giants in 1958-63 as part of a 17-season major league career in which he hit .286 with 206 homers and 852 RBI. He also spent 1970 and part of 1971 in the Bay Area playing for the Oakland Athletics.

On the Giants, he joined brothers Manny and Jesus in an all-Alou outfield in some games.

"I'm thrilled to go back where it all started for me. Many times I never thought I would get back there," Alou said.

It is the first time in nearly three decades that a manager takes over a pennant-winning team. Alvin Dark became manager of the A's when Dick Williams retired following the Athletics' 1973 World Series championship.

"We're obviously thrilled we're able to welcome Felipe back," general manager Brian Sabean said. "Everybody in baseball realizes what he's done in the game. It's thrilling because he's a Giant at heart. He's returning to manage a team we're still going to be excited about for years to come. To hire someone of his pedigree is exciting.

"He calls himself a baseball soldier in conversation. He's more like baseball royalty to us."

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Im psyched for him...he's always been one of my favorite managers.

3. Refman

Refman Member

We all knew that Alou wasn't going to be out of the managerial game for long. Congrats Felipe!!!

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

Wow....excellent choice. I wonder if they had Alou in the wings the whole time since they didnt seem to put up much of a fight to keep Baker