1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-Time Clutch Shot in Rocket History (Kiss of Death)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, May 14, 2002.

1. man532

man532 Member

I think we all have our favorite buckets in Rockets History from the Kiss of Death, courtesy Mario Ellie to Eddie Johnson's jaw dropper on the hated Utah Jazz.

I vote for the Kiss of Death, because of Barkley's talking, Anige's dirty play, and Joe Klein thinking he could slow the Dream down. You would have thought an Opera was playing due to the quiet in America West after Mario drop that jumper. I also thought that Robert had lost his mind sending a pass across court for a sure steal.

I think we all can admit that we would have barbecued Mario if he missed that shot being that Dream was wide open on the block for a dunk.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

I couldn't agree more....

It was one of those moments in sports history that I will always remember where I was when it went in.

3. DCkid

DCkid Member

I do too. I was at my cousin's graduation. :rolleyes: My Mom pretty much had to drag my brother and I with our fingernails scraping the floor, but we had the portable radio going during the ceremony, and when Elie hit that shot the whole place erupted, because there were so many with their portable radios and portable TV's. It was pretty funny.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Maxwell's 3...

6. fromobile

fromobile Member

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Cassell's 3 at Madison Square Garden was pretty clutch as well in Game 3 of the finals....and it made it all the better since I was there to see it live!!!

I think I was the only one screaming my head off when the shot went in. Talk about needing a bodyguard to get out of that place alive...

8. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

How about Dreams tip in vs Orlando. 95 Finals game 1 i believe.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Eddie... at the buzzer from 25 feet out. SUH-WISH!. I this one is special to me because I can clearly remember the shot, And because, I hate the Utah Jazz almost like I hate the Denver Broncos.

10. knifejc

knifejc Member

Eddie shot was bitter sweet for me because he hit that shot, but the still lost the series

I still can't believe Malone got away with that bear hug on drexler:mad:

11. man532

man532 Member

Dream's tip in was awesome and allowed us to come back from being down to the youngster's in Orlando by 25 plus. However, Kenny the Jet Smith's 6 three's we're just as important.

Maxwell's clutch 3 against the New York was awesome.

However, everyone can admit that we had grown to hate Phoenix for their lack of respect towards the Rockets and all the talking from KJ, Charles, and Ainge. Plus after Dirty Ainge hit Mario in the face, I think it was pure justice.

I'm praying to land a new job in H-Town, if they can stop laying everyone off from Enron, Andersen, Dynegy, and Reliant. Hey, anybody need a CPA, CFP, and MBA w/Finance/Accounting experience?

12. IVFL

IVFL Member

I was in highshcool for the kiss of death. I remeber I had to go somewhere that day, and recorded it. I was tempted to just watch the end but I was afraid I would "jinx" the outcome of the game if I did. So I wathced the whole thing. I didnt even fast forward the commercails afraid that too would jinx the game. I mean the game was already decided and I was afraid it would change:rolleyes: What a great game, I have wore out that video:D

13. T-2

T-2 Member

Ah, a feel-good thread.

I applaud all of the entries, especially the overlooked Maxwell and Cassell 3's.

I won't be able to top those, but here's two more shining moments for honorable mention:
    1) Smith's game-tying 3 in G-1 (he was unbelievable).
    2) As a rookie, Horry sinking the 20 ft bomb on Seattle in G-7 that could have won it for us. I still get angry thinking about the BS calls in OT that gave Seattle the series, but it did set the stage for the championships, and I knew right then Robert was going to be a clutch player.

14. man532

man532 Member

I forgot to mention Cylde "the Glide" Drexler performance during the playoffs, along with Dream carrying us to a title after being dogged by Mario and Robert. Clyde lit Utah up like a Christmas tree and proceeded to torch Phoenix, and Dunk at will on Orlando.

15. RaptorsDynasty

Olajuwon's turnaround over Schayes to tie Game 5 in 1995 and send it into overtime.

16. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Member

Wasn't Shayes with the Magic?? And didn't we sweep that series (4-0)??? Did Olajuwon and Shayes turn up for game 5??

Or did Shayes play for another team??

17. Kam

Kam Member

I fogot which game it was, but it as the 95 playoffs against PHX. It wasn't a shot, but a block. It was on KJ. He was on fast break, he thought he had an easy two, but Hakeem comes back and blocks his shot cleanly.

But I think KJ got him back when he dunked on Hakeem.

I think when KJ retired, they made a statue of him dunking on Dream.

18. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Member

how about the not so clutch free throw shooting of nick the brick? :D