1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Smith: Bigger Bust than David Carr?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, Aug 21, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think it's a valid question. If you don't remember him, he was the #1 pick in 2005.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/...d-priorities.html?lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

Smith caught in 49ers' conflicted priorities

August 20, 2008 12:00 PM

[​IMG]
    Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
    Former No. 1 pick Alex Smith has just 19 touchdowns in three seasons.

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- This was not what the San Francisco 49ers envisioned when they made Alex Smith the first player chosen in the 2005 draft.

If the numbers mean anything, this wasn't what the 49ers envisioned as recently as March 3, when they signed quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan for the minimum allowable salary.

O'Sullivan, scheduled to make his third consecutive exhibition start Thursday night, is playing under a one-year deal counting $491,000 against the salary cap. Smith's contract counts 20 times as much, more than $9.9 million.

The gulf reflects the conflict between fading long-term organizational goals and the need for coach Mike Nolan to win right now or lose his job. Nolan doesn't have time to wait for Smith, no matter how much the organization has invested in its franchise quarterback. Nolan can't come out and say so, at times leaving him fumbling for words.

"Well, in our situation that's hypothetical at this point," Nolan said after practice Tuesday. "So, I don't -- that doesn't, we're not dealing with that."

They will eventually. It's tough to see Nolan succeeding in San Francisco without Smith also showing a return on the organization's massive investment. Quarterbacks drafted first overall succeed, or their coaches pay the price.

Tim Couch's struggles in Cleveland helped bring down Chris Palmer. David Carr's problems in Houston doomed Dom Capers. Eli Manning's improvement last season keyed a playoff run that saved Tom Coughlin from a predictable fate.

Nolan is bucking history if he benches Smith this season.

Every other quarterback drafted first overall since 1967 has started at least nine games in his fourth season: Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Steve Bartkowski, John Elway, Vinny Testaverde, Troy Aikman, George, Drew Bledsoe, Peyton Manning, Couch, Michael Vick, Carr, Carson Palmer and Eli Manning.

Nolan still might name Smith the starter, but the odds appear to be diminishing by the day. O'Sullivan has taken the first-team reps in practice since Aug. 6. He started the first two exhibition games and could play into the third quarter against the Chicago Bears on Thursday night. Shaun Hill also remains an option in theory, although he is clearly third in the race.

Nolan said the short week gave him little choice but to maintain the status quo at quarterback. The explanation failed to acknowledge the obvious commitment to O'Sullivan in practice and games to this point.

"There's been no decision made," Nolan said. "All we're doing is keeping the same process we've been going."

The 49ers exercised an $8 million option as part of Smith's contract days after O'Sullivan came aboard. Paying the option amounted to a formality -- failing to do so would have guaranteed future base salaries -- but the massive difference in quarterback contracts seemed to give Smith an edge. That was not the case.

"This decision's going to be based on who we feel, at this point, gives us the best chances to win," Nolan said.

In retrospect, the decision to retain Nolan might have precipitated the end for Smith as a viable quarterback in San Francisco. It certainly killed any plans to develop Smith at the expense of short-term goals, a notion that now seems as dated as Nolan's 2005 assessment of his new quarterback.

"We felt Alex was the one that most fit what we want our football team to look like," Nolan told the San Francisco Chronicle at the time. "He's a very competitive individual, very hard-working [and] has been a winner all along."

Smith, now working under his fourth offensive coordinator in four seasons, arguably isn't getting enough practice work to succeed in the short term.

If anyone needed reps in this offense, it was Smith. O'Sullivan already knew the offense after spending the 2007 season with 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz in Detroit.

Nolan obviously feels he can't afford to look farther down the road than Sept. 7, when the Arizona Cardinals visit Candlestick Park for the regular-season opener. O'Sullivan's knowledge of the offense probably makes him the best choice for Week 1, even if it means sacrificing what now stands as a $24 million investment in Smith.

Slow starts can trigger in-season dismissals for coaches with 16-32 records in their first three seasons with a team.

[​IMG]

Kyle Terada/US Presswire
    J.T. O'Sullivan is scheduled to make his third consecutive exhibition start Thursday night.

O'Sullivan knows how hard it is to succeed without getting first-team practice reps. He has played in five regular-season games since 2002 in stints with New Orleans, Green Bay, Minnesota, New England, Carolina and Detroit. The 25 passes O'Sullivan has attempted during this exhibition season are one shy of his regular-season career total.

An undrafted free agent from UC Davis, O'Sullivan made his mark professionally in leading the Frankfurt Galaxy to World Bowl XII in 2004. This is his chance to prove himself as an NFL starter.

"Reps are cherished in this league as a quarterback, so I mean every single rep, whether it be a game or practice, I try to make the absolute most out of," O'Sullivan said. "So, these reps have been great."

Reporters crowded around Smith after practice Tuesday, the same old questions soliciting the same guarded answers.

Alex, are you a little disappointed you aren't going to start this game?

"I'm not thinking about that right now. I'm worrying about Chicago and the reps I'm going to get, and what I need to do with them."

Do you think it's been a fair competition? Going into camp it was supposedly going to be that. Does it seem like it's panned out that way?

"Like I said, I'm not getting into all that. I've got my reps out here and [I'm] just trying to take advantage of them and trying to do what I can with them. [I'm] not sure what they're thinking or what is going on upstairs, but like I said, those are reps I'll get and I need to get ready for them. It is a short week. I'm getting ready to play Chicago."

You've been a starter your entire career. Have you thought about what it might be like going into the season, not being that guy?

"I'm not thinking about that now. When that comes, I'll deal with it. That's part of the game too, but until then, no. So, I'm focused in on what I need to do this Thursday."

When a public relations staffer intervened to say Smith would take only one more question, silence prevailed. There was nothing left to say.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Without question he's a bigger bust than Carr at this point.

Carr actually somehow lasted 5 years despite getting transplanted into the field on a weekly basis, and at some point a lot of people thought he was well on his way to being a great QB once the O-line improved.

It was sad with Carr in a lot of ways, the horrendous play of the offensive line mind-****ed away his gunslinger approach.

Just dump the ball off, safety valve it, whatever you do get rid of it.

Alex Smith only looked decent maybe once or twice, he was thrown to the wolves his rookie season and responded by throwing like 1 TD in like 9 games. He's terrible honestly. Typical system QB who can't survive in the big leagues.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Carr > Smith

Thats scary.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:rolleyes: So... David Carr was a bust... even though he was in the league for 5 years, managed to win 7 games his first season with a mediocre team, led the NFL in several categories many times... was a bust?? Look at Ryan Leaf. Look at, heck, even Tim Couch.

Why you puttin' salt on an open wound? I hate you, man.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

When you're the #1 pick in the draft and you don't win championships or make pro bowls, you are pretty much a bust.

6. SwoLy-D

^ That's a fair enough assessment. A team picking you ahead of everybody is setting you up for failure (it is not their fault, it's yours), and the pressure is tremendous until something, well... busts. :eek: In all fairness, let's see how this Alex Smith vs. anyone else experiment goes.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OK fine, but Alex Smith is a Category 5 bust among #1 picks. Heh heh.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

"Bust" is a subjective term in sports, and I believe that expectations play a big role.

If you are taken with THE top pick in the draft, I consider you a bust if you aren't a starter in the league following your rookie deal. Teams have so much invested on numerous fronts that they are loath to give up on a #1. There's pressure to keep a guy out there, even if he's not the best option for the team.

What's ironic is teams that bring in a #1 pick QB but fail to bring along a top-flight QB coach to develop him. I'd bet that if Kubiak was here at the start of the franchise, Carr would have turned out fine.

To the topic, I don't believe Smith came in with the same hype as Carr. In fact, I remember that draft being one where no one actually wanted to have the top pick since there didn't seem to be a valued #1 available to grab. Alex Smith wasn't seen as a franchise QB, Braylon Edwards was the #3 pick, and Cedric Benson was the #4. 49ers went need instead of best player (Ronnie Brown, but there were doubts there too since he split time with Cadillac). Point being...it was a SORRY draft class, and the 49ers couldn't move the pick no matter what they did. Insert Alex Smith into a different draft year, and he'd go in the middle to late first round.

He's almost the Kwame Brown of the NFL. They had to take someone...

Evan

9. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Yes he is because Carr actually showed improvement, where as Alex hasn't and is about to lose his job

I can't remember any team striking gold at the QB position after a Hall of Fame QB retires

10. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

oops, he wasnt drafted number 1

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

We've all learned this lesson many times over, never draft a QB to lead your crappy team back to the promised land.

Draft good talent, and eventually a good QB will emerge.

12. SwoLy-D

I hate to say this, but: Peyton Freakin' Manning, sir. :rolleyes:

Did you mean *right away*??? ;)

13. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Yeah he was

2005 - Round 1
    Sel # Player Position School Team
    1 Alex Smith QB Utah San Francisco 49ers
    2 Ronnie Brown RB Auburn Miami Dolphins
    3 Braylon Edwards WR Michigan Cleveland Browns
    4 Cedric Benson RB Texas Chicago Bears
    5 Cadillac Williams RB Auburn Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    6 Pacman Jones CB West Virginia Tennessee Titans
    7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina Minnesota Vikings
    8 Antrel Rolle DB Miami (Fla.) Arizona Cardinals
    9 Carlos Rogers DB Auburn Washington Redskins
    10 Mike Williams WR USC Detroit Lions

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2005

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Steve Young took over after Joe Montana. Neither of them sucked. Hell, Montana went on to have a pretty decent several years in Kansas City after his 49'er days were over.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wow. Braylon is the only guy who has really lived up to the hype so far.

Smith = Bust
    Brown = Great talent, but already injury plagued
    Cedric = Major Bust, can't even find a team.
    Cadillac - Had a great rookie season and then pretty much died.
    Pacman = loco
    Williamson = Bust, was supposed to replace Moss.
    Rolle = Has been moved to Safety, couldn't handle man coverage.
    Rogers = He's decent enough, but not a top flight CB yet.
    Williams = Major Bust, can't even find a team.

16. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

That's right...I can't believe I forgot about that

The 49ers have been going downhill and have been horrible ever since ownership changed

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Hard to imagine, but not even close...Alex was a product of the system in college (Utah?) and there was no one else to draft...IIRC SF was trying to trade out of the pick...

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

They were hoping like hell that Leinart would declare, but he did not and they got stuck with Smith.

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i hope shaun hill gets the job.

peyton is in the film room watching the titans...alex is in the film room watching remember the titans. thats the difference...

20. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Maybe they should of gone with Aaron Rodgers