1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aggie Basketball - Put up or shut up week

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketManJosh, Dec 5, 2006.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

The #6 Ags (I never thought I'd say that) will be facing the number 9 LSU Tigers tonight (Channel 51) and the number 1 UCLA Bruins on Saturday (CBS).

This week will really tell us if we are really ready to play with the big boys. Playing on the road in college basketball is tough, and I am really hoping for a big win against LSU, and hopefully we can keep the game with UCLA competitive with a chance to steal it at the end. As long as we don't get blown out, I think a close loss or two on the road to top 10 teams is nothing to hang their head over.

I'll be at the game on Saturday in Anaheim so I am pretty pumped. It will be the first Aggie Bball game I've seen with meaning after watching 4 miserable years of basement dwellar teams while in school.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I am a UT alum, and I bleed orange.

That being said, I am incredibly incredibly happy that A&M's hoops program has grown by leaps and bounds.

I love college hoops, especially March Madness, and the Aggies having a top-flight hoops program will only elevate national respect for all of the college programs in the state.

I have lots of Aggie friends, and watching them come to the realization that Aggie Hoops are for real is just delightful to me(for some odd reason).

And...the UT-A&M hoops games will now have meaning.

I am so stoked!

:)

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ditto what Tex said. I will root for them every game except for two this year.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Awww, look at all the support. Warms the heart. Watch for the Glen Davis/Joseph Jones matchup. The battle of two solid college big men that despite what the media will tell you will never make it in the NBA.

5. RocketManJosh

That is one big difference with College Basketball ... I definitely found myself rooting for Texas against the Zags last week.

I'd love for all the teams from Texas to dominate the regular season.

6. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

We will be ready. With our coaching, I don't see how we wouldn't be. We know the games should be at least competitive.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Aggs will be ready for the Tigers and beat them by 5

Bring on UCLA

8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

*grumble*

9. RocketManJosh

Wow they played pretty bad tonight. JJ playing 2 minutes in the first half because of fouls didn't help, and the Ags are going nowhere if Acie Law doesn't play better than that.

On the LSU side, man how good is Big Baby this year compared to last year. He looks quick and he has a lot of touch on his shot. I think he is turning himself into a great NBA prospect, where I didn't believe he would make it in the NBA last year. Losing some weight has really helped him.

Oh well ... on to Anaheim and an even tougher game on Saturday. Hope Acie and JJ can play a little better, and hopefully the team can just relax. They were too hyped up, and couldn't hit any shots from outside the paint.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Big Baby looked really good tonight. Like you said, I didn't think he'd be a legit NBA player last season, but he looked quick tonight and has a nice jumper.

11. Major

Major Member

What happened to this?

Plain and simple, the Titans are a division rival. Any success they have directly affects the Texans. I know you hate the term "true fan", but that's the case here. You cannot root for both the Titans and the Texans...or the Jags and the Texans...or the Colts and the Texans...and be a fan of either. Pick one and stick with it.

:)

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Longhorn fans who root for the Aggies suck.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Haha.

Don't make me explain how Texas A&M being good helps the Longhorns if the Longhorns beat them twice in a season. :)

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Acie Law played horrible. Congrats to LSU on the 2nd half defensive gameplan. They took out the european completely (hell no I cant spell his name from the top of my head so insert aggie joke here) and denied the 3. Hopefully if we beat UCLA we wont drop any spots on Sunday...

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

As Acie goes, so go the Aggies.

However, A&M has nothing to be ashamed of, and they are learning what it takes to play with the elite NCAA hoops teams. This experience as well as playing UCLA this weekend will prove very valuable to the A&M hoops squad during March Madness.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Way to go Aggies...I guess its almost time to shut-up... :eek: If they lose to UCLA, are they overrated?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You are absolutely right. Sadly Acie Law's game is so limited he cant afford to be inconsistent. If we only go as far as he takes then its going to be a heartbreaking season.

18. Major

Major Member

What? If they lose, on the road, to the #1 team in the country, they are overrated??

They might be overrated, but losing to UCLA isn't going to show that.

19. RocketManJosh

Yeah they will be overrated in that the ranking is going to go down, but it is not going to drop them that far. This is college basketball, not college football. Good teams lose to bad teams (i.e. Kansas losing to ORU and Depaul), and they don't drop that far. I'd hardly call a week where you lose to the #1 and #9 teams in the country ON THE ROAD a horrible week that should drop you too far as long as they stayed competitive.

As bad as they played against LSU, they were down 6 with 3 minutes to go on the road at LSU, so I don't think you can start the overrated chant just yet.