1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After 46 years on power, Sultan of Brunei decides to implement shariah legal structure

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/brunei-sul...law-amputation-theft-stoning-adultery-1439332

I don't know if there's much to debate here - an autocrat's law is an autocrat's law, no matter what you call it - but it's amusing to me that the dude is so late to the party.

What's concerning to me is that 1/3rd of the citizens are not even Muslim.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice "party". Feel sorry for the people who have to live under these rules.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

What motivated him after 46 years? Kinda strange to have a liberal policy for 4/6 of your life and then implement a harsh Sharia law out of nowhere.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Historically people resort to the appearance of religion when they want to exert greater power over others. The article seems to hint at that when it mentions citizens have been complaining.

It's really sucky that a country like Brunei has enormous wealth relative to its population, and it's all wasted on stupid imported crap and maintenance of power. The potential for those people to achieve great things for humanity, all down the drain.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This guy has historically been at or near one of the richest people in the world.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well good for him. Time for the chump to retire, move to Switzerland, and spend some of that money doing anything but ruling his country.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think the key factor here is 46 years; everyone gets bored, regretful and escapist after that amount of time in the same role or setting, usually they don't have a whole country or billions of dollars to screw up. It could also just be born again moment.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Maybe he will die soon and the successor can eventually reverse the decision.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I could be that, or a response to a growing religiosity in his Muslim population. It's kinda of a bummer for me because visiting Brunei has been on my list for a long time. But, I don't think I want to bring a Western wife and 3 daughters to a Sharia country.

10. hlcc

hlcc Member

It's quickly becoming The Saudi Arabia of Southeast Asia. 90% of the GDP is based on oil & natural gas production.

11. hlcc

hlcc Member

Or something in anticipation to the oil well running dry soon in the future.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/econ-business/bruneis-uneasy-glimpse-of-the-future/