1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AFP]Iran outraged by Hollywood war epic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Born in Baytown, Tx. (In the part that used to be called Goose Creek).

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unfortunately, it looks like three of those four scenes were pretty fair analogies, although the third one was apparently by Northern Alliance troops. The Jewish doctor thing was symptomatic of some middle-Eastern anti-Semitism that I would have hoped Turkey in particular had outgrown by now. Granted, it probably doesn't hurt for us to know how we are perceived, fairly or unfairly, by the rest of the world.

I have no plans to see Michael Bay's or Jerry Bruckheimer's or McG's "300," even though it's probably good that action movies targeted towards young people draw from historical events every once in a while.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I am not in any way advocating 'self-censorship' or 'responsibility' on the part of Hollywood or anyone else to avoid offending people. That's not my intention at all, if anything I do think that movies should occasionally offend and challenge the viewing public to think outside the box. Apology for not clarifying that.

I was merely pointing out that Hollywood has the kind of global reach that others lack; Bollywood is second on that list and it's still mostly limited to a regional audience, despite its high output (I understand they churn out more movies than even Hollywood, if I am not mistaken). All I am saying is a blockbuster movie like 300 has a far bigger audience and thus can/will influence more people, for better or worse.

I just don't think one can ignore Hollywood's influence...

#63 tigermission1, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Rereading my post I went a bit overboard in snapping at you. I do this often, and for it I apologize. Thanks for the clarification; I was looking for a thesis where none existed.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

No apology is necessary. In fact, I wasn't aware that you 'snapped', so apology not accepted. ;)

Ottomaton, you're one of my favorite posters around here, I learn a lot from you and I enjoy your input. This place isn't as much 'fun' as it used to be, but posters such as yourself, Sishir, Deckard and other 'old timers' keep me checking in once in a while.

6. bonecrusher

bonecrusher Member

I've never seen a black Persian.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just got back from watching the flick, which I enjoyed immensely. Thought I'd point out that more than once during the film it's mentioned that the army of Xerxes is made up of men from all over the empire, which was huge and multi-ethnic. I'd also like to point out that the film is taken from a graphic novel based on history. It isn't passed off as exactly what happened. I'll tell you what we do know, however... the empire of Persia attempted to conquer Greece twice and lost, ultimately falling itself to the far smaller forces of Alexander the Great. That Greece was able to defeat the invasions was an incredible feat. That a small force of Spartans, and along with other Greeks, fought the Persian army of King Xerxes at Thermopylae, is accepted as an historical fact.

Frankly, I don't understand the fuss.

D&D. Fusses Galore.

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Member

maybe they don't like how gay xerxes looked.... or that the immortals looked like burn victims...

maybe they wanted android immortals?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Who cares, unlock those puppies !!!!!!

FREE IRANIAN women....especially those who look like that !

DD

10. cur.ve

cur.ve Member

I saw this film at Ataturk Airport in Istanbul. It was the height of the haj season. Lots os people had nothing to do during the wait and pretty much everyone took it pretty seriously when they watched it.

There was one scene where an American solider fired into a truck loaded with men, women and children and laughed. I looked around to see if anyone else had a 'what the hell was that look on their faces' but they all seemed genuinely shocked and horrified by the images.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps they did, dreaming of electric sheep. I think it's funny that such fuss is being made over an adaptation of a graphic novel. Lord, here in Texas, another country, we've had some appalling film and TV depictions of Texas history, usually of the Battle of the Alamo, but sometimes of other subjects, and we've managed to survive it without rioting in the streets or bringing about the end of the world as we know it.

D&D. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

12. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I haven't seen the movie, but I will eventually, & it looks great! I have read the history of Sparta & it's right to defend itself from a very large invading army forces who happens to be Persians. If it was a bunch of aboriginal pygmies, would we have this discussion or care! :rolleyes: ;)

13. rocksalt

rocksalt Member

I've known a black Russian or two. ;)

14. Brad

Brad Member

[[​IMG][/QUOTE]

If the woman on the left is Iranian then why does she have an Italian flag painted on her arm? The stripes on the Iranian flag are horizontal. She is hot though!

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Maybe she was cheering for Italy because she doesn't like the way she is treated in Iran.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They are always outraged.

Well, here is what I say to them:

[​IMG]

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Member

i wanna call bs that these are the same women.... they're taken from different angles, but the lips, neck, and the tigobitties look different.

she is hot though, and i wanted to repost the picture due to her hotness.

18. No Worries

No Worries Member

Just saw the trailer ... Who knew the Spartans had abs of steel and wore pro wrestling trunks? ... Historians did not, for one.

#78 No Worries, Mar 18, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Member

Saw the movie last night and I can see why Iranians would get offended. Heck I'm surprised Greeks aren't offended. Understandably its based off of a graphic novel but it struck me as the Battle of Thermopylea as envisioned by Vince McMahon.

A lot has been mentioned about the depictions of the Persians and I can definately see how Iranians would get annoyed by the portrayal of the Persians as decadent, power mad, brutal and deformed. Historically though I found the black Persians somewhat odd too. Understandably the Persian army was diverse incorporating many subjected people but it did seem strange that high ranking officials, generals and diplomats, would be black. To me this wouldn't have been as glaring when most of the Spartans had Tuetonic features. Whether intentional or not this struck me as the Aryans fighting off the mud races or as Western Civilization taking a stand against multi-culturalism.

While the Persians weren't depicted well I don't think the Spartans were depicted that good either. The Spartan society struck me as being an almost Nazi ideal of eugenics and social Darwinism. Where physical weakness culled out at birth and while they rhetorically uphold the traditional family structure as a matter of practice destroy it to serve the interests of the state. Given that this is a matter of historical record this hardly seems the stuff of a noble culture.

While the Spartan warrior culture struck me as being Nazi like in regard to current events the Leonidas' warrior ethos struck me as resembling Kamikazes and Al Qaeda and the speeches he gave with some minor changes could be motivational speeches for suicide bombers. Leonidas' 300 embrace a cult of death to the point of getting excited at the prospect of dying at the hands of an overwhelming force. For the 300 glorious death seems as much the point of the battle as defending Greece. These are Spartans that seem themselves as 6th C. BC equivalents of suicide bombers that throw themselves into the mass of the vastly superior forces to try to reap enough horror to break the will of the enemy's forces.

The other problem with the depiction of Spartan culture is that it is either an uber-warrior culture while on the other hand having corrupt politicians and a corrupt and depraved theocracy. As a model free society there doesn't seem much going for Sparta as you are either dealing with a brutal warriors, corrupt politicians or perverted high priest. In contrast those boy loving Athenians start to look better.

Athenians might take some offense too regarding the celebrations of all things Sparta. The Athenians are virtually left out of the movie, even though they contributed and officially led the Greek forces.
    The one mention they get is as "boy lovers" as compared to the straight Spartans, Just because they go into battle showing off their abs and wear shorts that highlights their packages they love women, check out Leonidas satisfying his woman. The other problem is historically all the great talk of freedom and reason the Spartans not long after the threat of Xerxes was other didn't have a problem with conquering and putting much of the rest of Greece under their heel. Those Spartans leading the free Greeks against Xerxes and horde of slaves at Platea in a little while were enslaving free Greeks in the Pelopenesian Wars.

Overall I was dissapointed with the movie. I have to say it looks great and many of the imagery of it is phenomenal. I also understand that this movie is about painting an epic, but simplistic, portrait of a battle between good and evil. For me personally though I found it not only too simplistic but also a very twisted version of good. This was a movie designed to appeal to fans of pro-wrestling were even the good guys are brutal and ruthless and consider that a badge of honor. On that level it succeeds but other than that there isn't much there.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bah! Sishir, it's taken from a graphic novel! (I know, you and I both mentioned it) The comment about the "boy-loving Athenians?" Watching the flick, it was clear to me that Leonidas tossed that off as more of a joke than a serious comment. To be fair, the Spartans thought ALL the rest of the Greeks beneath them. And ALL the Greek city-states had slaves. Democracy was for the class in charge.

It was a movie. I don't expect realism when I watch James Bond on film, although the best of them are the most "realistic." (From Russia with Love and the last one) If films were made with the attempt not to offend anyone, anywhere, Hollywood would have to shut down.

Now, I understand why Iranians might get bent out of shape by the flick, as well as a lot of other people, for one reason or another, but I think going to such lengths to find fault with what was, after all, an entertainment, is a bit rediculous. If someone simply didn't like it, that I can understand. (and I went to see it thinking I might not like it, and that my wife, who generally isn't crazy about very violent films, might want to walk out in the middle, having done it before... she shocked me by really liking it!) This kind of film isn't everyone's cup of tea. Frankly, there hasn't been much in the way of movies like this one before, considering how it was made.

Like I said... what's the fuss?

D&D. Fussy!