1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks: What's his future in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Oct 9, 2008.

?

What's the future of Aaron Brooks

1. Future starter

322 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Career backup guard

314 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. 11th or 12th man on a roster

57 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Out of this league in 2-3 years

65 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

I've been trying to reserve judgment on the young guy for a while now. But I think I've come to the conclusion that Aaron will be out of the league within the next 2-3 years because:

- he's too small (obvious)
    - although they say he can shoot from distance, his actual in game shooting does not reflect the skill
    - he is quick, but has huge problems finishing either because he is jittery or he cannot absorb and finish after the non-foul bumps that invariably occur.
    - he does not exhibit the natural playmaking skills of a true PG

To stay in the league, Aaron has to excel at something or be competent/good at many things. He is not competent at many things and he is not a dead eye shooter, electric penetrator/scorer, or lock down defender.

I'm curious to see the results of this poll.

1 person likes this.
  2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

what poll?

3. blathersby

blathersby Member

That poll. It takes a minute for the thread to update with the poll; it creates a thread before the poll is finished.

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Wow talk about completely writing a guy off when he hasn't even played game 1 of his second season.

Brooks will come into his own in time, he'll be a nice backup/pinch starter one day.

5. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

He'll definitely still be in the league 3 years from now........I mean have you seen some of the backup points in this league?

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He'll spend his career at the end of the bench and probably be out of the league in 5 years or so. He just doesn't have what it takes to play PG and he isn't a pure scorer at the NBA level like Barbosa or those types of instant offense midgets.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

He's our backup this year, is he not?

8. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Luther Head: What's his future in the NBA. just kidding

I was hoping Aaron would become like a Monta Ellis type of player. Even though he's small he has the quickness to get to the basket.

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Woah there. Barbosa could start on some teams, he is an exceptionally good back up. I don't think is fair to try to compare a back up pg toBarbosa. I think we are writing him off too soon. PG is possibly the hardest position to groom into in the NBA so let's at least wait until the end of the year to make a judgement.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

As much as we hate on Luther Head.........there's always a place for a shooter in the NBA.

11. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Exactly.

He can be exciting but when he has the ball, he tries to make it the Aaron Brooks show. While effective at times, he doesn't play team ball.

Now the others are going to say, "what about all the awesome assists he had the other night?"

Driving in out of control, realizing there is no shot and slinging it to the three point line is not playing team ball.

What you said is very funny because I was yelling at the TV Tuesday saying, "You are not Leandro Barbosa! You are not Earl Boykins! You are terrible!"

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just not that good. A lot of teams could benefit from him. We allready have enough guys to bring energy off the bench that aren't a ball hog, shoot first, tiny point guard.

12. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

That's the point. He plays the same type of game as Leandro but isn't as good at it.

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

The guy's game against the Grizz was not that bad........he was breaking down the defense and getting to the rim at will, he just needs to work on finishing there.........needs to clean up some of his passing as well.

I mean He did hit the game winning shot.......all in all I'd give his performance a C+ to B-......not a failing grade, but plenty of room for improvement.

There's was alot of peaks (great plays) and valleys (very poor plays), which is something that you'll usually find with a young player.......he just needs to get more consistent and the only way to do that is through more P.T.

14. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

Wow some guys just need to relax. This is Aaron Brooks 2nd year. What do you expect him to do as a rookie on a team that had talent the year we drafted him. We have guys by the name of Tracy McGrady , Yao Ming. Basically those two guys alone are going to get majority of the touches and minutes. Skip and Bobby Jackson had all the minutes at the point so Brooks would not see the floor unless it was a blow out. What can you possibly do with possibly 4 minutes left in a game?? College and the NBA are totally different.

P.S.- I wonder if you ever heard of a guy by the name of Allen Iverson..Small really fast who knows how to dribble and has a decent shot. Yeah he turned out to become one hell of a player.

15. K mf G

K mf G Member

at this point he still looks like he cant pass the ball
    he has speed and can get to the hoop, but
    he can't dunk
    if he doesnt figure out how to pass
    and
    hit the mid range jumper he will be and 11th or 12th man
    and probably out of the league in 5

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

I hope he can develop into a good playmaker. He's never shown the instincts for it and made some boneheaded decisions in the first preseason game. It's just not his game.

If he can improve his 3pt shooting, I believe he can be a nice change of pace backup PG. But I don't see a very high ceiling for him. He just hasn't shown us much yet and his defense is already suspect. We should try to improve our PG situation as quickly as possible, like we did with our PF rotation.

17. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Member

thing is though i don't think you can even begin to compare AI and AB, they're just two completely different players. its like comparing heaven to earth, not gonna happen at this point, but i'm ready to give him alot of slack because we have established players and say what you will about rafer alston but we DON'T need another scorer at the 1, we need a efficient distributor.. let's see how this plays about before we start evaluating someone's future based solely on one season of play. then again he might turn into JLIII and i seriously hope not.. =/

18. DPballer

DPballer Member

I don't really know about his future, and I don't really care, because he's going involved in a trade before the deadline to get us a PG.

19. DPballer

DPballer Member

Allen Iverson's freshman year in Georgetown > Aaron Brooks.

20. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

What do you mean he can't dunk. Aaron had a nice dunk last year.
    Don't let the smooth taste fool you. :p For a small guy he has some hops.