1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Dr. Basketball

I have watched every game this year, and I have read most of the postS on thIS board for the last few years, and if I was in management this is what I would do.

First, I would move Francis to the two and let him just score and focus on playing D. I would propose a sign and trade to Golden Sate: With Mobley and Norris for Arenas. I f that went through I would resign Posey, and keep the rest of our lineup the same with a few revisions.

Point Gaurd: Arenas would be great for us because our team would have a big point gaurd that can do it all. And it would allow Francis to roam the court and jsut worry about scoring and playing D. You can pick the back up.

2 Gaurd: Francis now can do his thing and he will have Posey Backing him up when needed.

3: I would start Posey but I would try to give Nachbar as many minutes as possible. I am a big believer of European basketball and I think Nachbar will end up having a big impact on our team in the next few years.

4: Im going to make a stretch here and start Griffin again. Yes he has shown no signs of improving but he is only 20 and I still think he will be a pretty good player for us. Taylor will still be there for our backup plan, and he will provide a bang off the bench. He is not a good rebounder or defender but he can score, but I am hoping the Griffin picks up thew slack in both areas next year

Center: This is our strongest posistion. Next year Ming will be good for 18 and 10 and 3 blocks. Cato is 2nd best backup center in the L behind Keon Clark. Cato brings rebounding and a defensive presense off the bench that will really help us down the stretch.

This team could make a huge impact in the Western conference next year if they can put the peices together. I really think that we need to keep what we have and wait for it to work out. Mobley is the only one that has to go, and maybe Rudy, but I would keep everyone else.

Arenas, Francis, Posey, Griffin, Ming, would be the best young lineup in the NBA. With Nachbar (if he can do what I think) Cato, and Taylor. Are bench is very good as well

This team can be a contender very soon, we just need a new coaching strategy and wait for Francis and Ming to show a tandem that will bring dominance!

2. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I agree with everything except keeping Eddie Griffen. It is time to upgrade and get a real PF. Afterall, if he does NOT IMPROVE again this year (like last year), will he have ANY trade value left???

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

we aren't going to get Arenas for that since he is most likely gone to Denver for the $, but I guess it is possible to sign and trade for him if he wanted to be here. I would really like to see the rox go after Fortson from the Warriors. He is rugged and physical and that would allow EG to move to the bench to hone his skills for another year against backups.

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

u re not addressing our 2 main problems: shooter and banger. Until we solve those problems, we will continue to bleed.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Arenas will be BYC in an SnT. He's probably going to DEN, though.

6. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

I love the idea, but I got to agree with HeyDude in that we need a shooter and a banger. But if Boki works out then we just need a banger. We need to trade MoT/EG for a better PF if we can, but this would at least be a start. Also, we need to give TMo more play time if at all possible, he showed more improvement than anyone else on the team last year besides YAO.

7. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I agree with most of what u say.
    But I don't think we'll be able to get Arenas.Instead we could go after Crawford.
    How about:
    Cat/MoT/2nd round pic for Crawford/1st round pic.
    With the pic get a G for a 3 players rotation(Kisr Hinrich or Reece Gaines...)
    Also concerning the PF problem,we could maybe go after a cheap vet like Morning(MLE) or Fortson(Moochie?),making EG come off the bench(he looks better like that) and MoT expandable.
    And the most important,is to get Rudy out of the coaching position.

ALA

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

good analysis. I only wish GS would do that sign an trade though!

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Getting Arenas would be really nice but it's not going to happen unless the words Yao and Ming comes into play. They don't want any of our players unless it's Yao or Francis. And trading Cat+Moochie was a good idea, but you forgot they got Jason Richardson there so the 2 spot is filled.

Personally, if Francis WANTS to be a 2 then fine, play him at 2. But if he still insist on having the ball 95% of the time then no, it's not going to work. If he's gonna be a 2, he has to learn to score w/o the ball like how Iverson does w/ the screens he gets.

I would start Posey and Mo Taylor as well. But using Eddie at the 3 wouldn't hurt would it? Coming off the bench as a 6th man for the SF/PF positions will hopefully help his all around game.

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

here is my latest idea (so there is no chance!).. I would like to see us package Moochie, EG, Nachbar, and Collier for Danny Fortson and Mike Dunleavy. Mike D got little/no pt this year in GS, so either he has personal issues or he doesn't fit their scheme. He seems like the prototype Rudy T player (high bball IQ and great shot). With those 2 all we have to do is re-sign Posey and find a starting point guard.

1-?/Francis
    2-Francis/Mobley/Hawkins
    3-Posey/Dunleavy/Rice
    4-Fortson/MoT/TMo
    5-Yao/Cato

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

or he sucks hardcore

He seems like the prototype Rudy T player (high bball IQ and great shot).

*coughcoughdanlanghibrycedrewjasoncollierbostjannachbarcoughcough*

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why in the world would W's do this?

Arenas either resigns with them or walks for the dough (Denver, Miami?).

W's have a pretty fair 2 guard on his rook contract.

W's have chips to deal for a real Arenas replacement -- starting with skinny boy Dunleavy. He could reasonably head to Chicago or even Memphis.

W's are not a trading partner for Rox.

Knicks are. Clips are. Atlanta, maybe Dallas are. But, no way the GSW's.

13. MManal

MManal Member

Arenas doesnt really solve this team's problems. Acquiring Arenas is not that different from acquiring Jason Terry; both are essentially short SGs that are being forced to play the point. The last thing the Rockets need is another one of those. Gilbert Arenas was a SG in college and didnt move over the the point until he arrived in GS; the guy has transitioned reasonably well, but he simply does not have the PG instincts of someone like Eric Snow or Jamaal Tinsley. The Rockets need to get either a true point or a Lamar Odom or Brent Barry that can take over a large chunk of the playmaking duties.

14. silent j

silent j Member

They already have enough forwards, so I can't see this happening. I proposed this trade last week:

Mobely to Atlanta, Terry signed and traded to Golden State, and Fortson to the Rockets.
    The only way this works is if Arenas walks,and I still am not convinced he will. He really seems to like the Warriors.

j

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, who plays the backup point and shooting guard? I dont think Tito is ready for the job. We
    need a decent backup point guard. What are we going to do with Moochie? He is pain in the arse with that much money he got. Worst backup point gauard in the entire league. Bring back Cassel, move Cat to the 6th man. I dont know how it can be done, maybe Rice fat expiring contract can be a bait.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

17. Nova

Nova Member

How bout we keep Francis in at the point... trade Mobley, MoT, and Cato. And maybe Rice if they want his contract. Knicks do this because they've been wanting to get rid of spree, and they get a good, fairly young-in-his-prime sg, a legitimate scoring threat at pf, and a big bodied center who would do very well in the east. Thomas is more a pf being forced to play center cause they don't have any better choices. Rox get a sharpshooting vet and a consistent pf. I think this is all they need to be in playoff contention and later make a run for the playoffs. And Spree can be let go at the end of what... two seasons? That opens up some cap space for other stuff.

Francis/Norris
    Sprewell/Hawkins
    TMo/Nachbar
    Thomas/Griffin
    Yao/Thomas

I think this team may work out alright... but the Knicks may not jump for the trade.

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Steve Francis at the 2? Well ... I don't like the idea of having Steve to defend a 6'7" shooting guard.