1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

A serious look into LeBron James' prospects (including Houston)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by droxford, May 13, 2010.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Perhaps you're thinking, "Ugh! We've talked about this a bajillion times already!". Well, if there's a thread dedicated to this already, then the mods can lock this up.

Or perhaps you're thinking, "Ugh! We already know that the Rockets have no chance at getting him!" Well, maybe that's the case, but at least we should come to that conclusion after analyzing the positions for all teams in the NBA to sign him.

So... with this in mind, I submit to you my personal analysis of NBA teams and how they are/are not positioned to sign LeBron James for the 2010-2011 season.

Some things to keep in mind while reading this:
    (1) This analysis is based on current team roster positions. Things change, of course, and and decisions by teams to trade away players or not re-sign current players would certainly throw off my analysis.

(2) This is my opinion. I could be wrong about some of my views. But the point of the thread is to discuss different views on what I've provided here.

NO WAY THESE TEAMS CAN AFFORD HIM NEXT SEASON...
    LA Lakers
    Dallas
    Boston
    Orlando
    Phoenix
    San Antonio
    New Orleans
    Denver

NO WAY THESE TEAMS CAN BE CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS NEXT SEASON (even with LBJ)...
    Washington
    Detroit
    Indiana
    Philadelphia
    LA Clippers
    New Jersey
    Golden State
    Sacramento
    Toronto
    Cleveland
    Minnesota
    Charlotte

CAN AFFORD HIM, BUT PROBABLY WON'T BE CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS NEXT SEASON (even with LBJ)...
    Atlanta
    The Hawks have $48 mil on the books for next season WITHOUT Joe Johnson. Financially, they could afford to re-sign JJ AND sign LBJ, but does that make them championship contenders? This one's a tough call. I'm not feeling it - I keep asking myself, "would they be better than this season's Cavs?" and I answer "No" every time.

Memphis
    The Grizz can afford LBJ and putting him on the same team as Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, Mike Conley, and OJ Mayo sounds very, very interesting. A bottom line to this, though is... would the Grizzlies really be contenders? Based on history, I'd have to say 'no, the Grizz always suck', but how long can that mindset really last?

INTERESTING POTENTIAL LANDING ZONES...(in order of strength of their bargaining position)

VERY STRONG POSITION: Oklahoma City
    OKCity is in a fantastic position. They lose a lot of dusty, scrap contracts next season, have a full roster, and only have $40mil on the books. They're a playoff team and in a nearly perfect position to sign LeBron. The only problem is that their star, Kevin Durant plays the exact same position as LBJ. Is this a good fit?

STRONG POSITION: Miami
    Quietly, Miami is in an excellent financial position with only $24mil on the books for next season (and that's INCLUDING Dwyane Wade, IF he stays). They could easily afford to sign LeBron WITH Wayde and still bring in other talent. Question is: are they complementary players and will this make them championship contenders?

STRONG POSITION: Chicago
    Like Miami, Chicago is also in good financial position with only $32mil in team salary next season. But they only have 6 players on the roster, and will need to re-sign players like Brad Miller and Ronald Murray. They're also bringing in a different coach next season and Chicago's management seems pretty wacky after ousting Del Negro in a very negative way.

LUKEWARM POSITION: Portland
    Probably can't afford LBJ. As they stand, they only have $50 mil on next year's roster, but Brandon Roy is will be an unrestricted free agent, and Portland is gonna have to fork up some dough for him. That'll put them back up over the $60mil mark and with only 10 people on the roster. That doesn't leave a lot of salary room to sign LeBron AND fill the remaining roster spots with quality role players. It's not impossible, but I'd say it's improbable.

LUKEWARM POSITION: Houston
    Rockets have $58mil already in team salary next season, and that's without re-signing Scola and Lowry. Financially, that's not great, and because of this, I tend toward ranking Houston in the "poor position" category. There is one thing going in the Rockets' favor, though. Les Alexander has given the green light to Daryl Morey to go into luxury tax zone if it is done to bring in a super star.

LUKEWARM POSITION: Utah
    I don't think they can afford LBJ. They have $55mil in team salary next season WITHOUT Carlos Boozer. If they passed on Carlos and signed LBJ, they'd have a very strong team, but Boozer's size will be missed. They'd also only have 8 men on the roster, with not much salary room to bring in more talent. Like Portland, it's close, but not probable.

POOR POSITION: Milwaukee
    They've got only $55mil on the books for next season, but that's without Ridnour and Stackhouse, both of which have provided good scoring punch. Bucks can afford to bring in LBJ, but it'll be tough for them to do that and fill in the rest of the team with talent. And even then, I just don't feel like they could be contenders.

???????????????: New York
    We all know that NY has cleaned out its closets and has almost NOBODY on the roster for next season. One possible scenario is that NY signs LeBron and a LOT of other good talent (and the talent is out there) and becomes an immediate contender. Another scenario is that they don't successfully lure talent and they continue to struggle through another restructuring phase. This one is tough to call. I'm doubtful that he'll end up there.

SUMMARY
    The team that's in the best current position to sign LeBron is Oklahoma City, while Miami and Chicago are also in good positions. Portland, Houston, and Utah are in lukewarm positions: it's not impossible (in fact, they're in the top 6 team possibilities), however, they're not in the best positions and I think it's unlikely that he'll sign with any of these three. New York is a big question mark.

... and that's it. I think there's no chance that LBJ will sign with any team other than those seven (excepting, of course, that player trades and roster moves will change the position of teams mentioned here).

2 people like this.
  2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If he leaves, New York is a no-brainer.

3. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Not possible...

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Forgive my ignorance, but why can't the teams in the first list, that "cannot afford him," sign and trade for him?

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

^ Not necesarily

NJ, Chicago and Miami are all in the running.

All those other places are very doubtful.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Any reason why those teams can't afford lbj? If you have a chance to get lbj, you do what you have to do to get him. If he says he wants to go to orlando, why wouldn't orlando offer a package not including howard to get him? Carter makes over 13m,gortat makes 5.5m and fran vasquez plus picks.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can see that you spent a lot of time on this, and it's a good writeup.

You tinkered with putting Houston in the "poor position" category, admitting that it's a long shot in the first place. My worry is that things like this will unlock an avalanche of LeBron threads in the GARM like Bosh, except that there is a near zero chance of him coming here.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I doubt he leaves for another small market team like OKC. I could see Miami, but then again if he doesn't win it all this year, he might be perceived as joining a proven champion in Wade just to piggyback for a ring :grin:

My money's on NY or Chicago or Brooklyn.

9. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Any team that signs LBJ becomes an instant championship contender so you can get rid of that whole list. Especially Cleveland (they'd have the same team as this year and they're championship contenders), Charlotte (they are a young team and showed very good potential this year), Detroit (If they can put all the pieces together), Toronto (If Bosh stays). Basically, any team with Lebron on it becomes a championship contender.

1 person likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think he'll go to NY or Miami.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Why the hell would you rank Okc as the top? Why would they want the King? They already have Durantula...and their team showed that they have potential already, they just need to add some more good role players around KD, not get someone to replace KD...

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why can't cleveland be a contender with james next season?

13. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Angels can't talk Lebron to Houston

14. delishman

delishman Member

This thread needs to get back into its game.

I just don't see anyway Lebron signs in OKC. To share the spotlight with Durant? To go to the powerhouse market that is Oklahoma City? These guys have giant egos and Lebron is one of the biggest. Not happening.

If Lebron leaves Cleveland New York has got to the favorite. Yeah they suck but its New York. He signs with them he instantly brings them back to relevancy. He wins a ring with them.. his legacy is cemented in a way that is only possible in New York.

I could maybe see the Heat.. New York somehow fails to acquire another quality max player. Bron decides hes ready to move on from Cleveland. This location would be his "ill do anything to win" signing. D-Wade would have to re-sign. Still highly unlikely.

Either way I see Lebron only signing for 3 years wherever he goes to keep the hype alive and make sure he stays on a winning club. Lebron's free agency will never end. :mad:

15. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would argue Chicago is a no-brainer, playing with Rose and possibly Noah if they don't have to trade him to get LBJ.

16. bloop

bloop Member

basically the post states that Houston has put itself financially to be in position to be in the running for James. which is true.

it's not impossible but honestly Houston is middle of the pack in every measure when it comes to Lebron (and Bosh)... financially, marketwise or supporting cast.

Houston has a large footprint in Texas but outside of Texas it might as well be Milwaukee or Pittsburg... no one is dying to come down here. Houston would have to have some big chips either financially or odds of a 'chip to motivate Lebron or any other top tier player. all things being equal there's more draw to NY, Chicago, Miami, LA.

17. Convictedstupid

Would lebron leave through SnT? Or would he just sign somewhere outright? I think thats the bigger question before speculating over where he will sign.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I commend you for taking the time and effort to write however your analysis probably needs some work. As the best player in the league LBJ technically can go anywhere. If he decides to come to LA I don't doubt for a second that LA will drop Kobe like a hot potato to get him. With that said, I think we can cross out some teams:

1) LBJ won't want to go to a small market team with a dark future (Memphis, Minny etc.)
    2) LBJ won't want to go to a team with an established star
    3) LBJ is very likely to stay in Cleveland (I'd say 60%)

Based on the above criteria there's absolutely no way LBJ will be going to OKC (your strongest position) team. Why will he go there and compete with Durant when he has pick of any other teams? We can also cross out

If he decides to leave Cleveland as a FA he will be going to only 3 destinations:

1. NJ (my most likely destination)
    -has an amazing future ahead of it, billionaire owner, a good pg and c already in place, and a top draft pick that can be used to get a franchise PF. Plus his buddy owns part of the franchise. Even better, if he goes there and NJ turns it around it'll add to his basketball "greatness". If I'm LBJ I'll be taking the paycut and going here.
    2. Chicago
    -almost same as NJ, however the owner is cheap and continually hamstrings the team to feed his baseball fanaticism. Still they have a much better pg and c than NJ, and the fact that MJ played there might be a turn on/off for him.
    3. NY
    -conspiracy with Bosh? I dunno, the free lapdances sound really tempting....

If he decides to leave on good terms with Cleveland he can do an S&T with the following:
    1. Houston-we have assets to make it work, and team that can still be a contender. I think as far as S&T destinations go we are the most attractive team.
    2. NJ-can trade their pg, c or draftpick. I dunno why they would want to do a S&T when they can sign him, but if LBJ insists he doesn't want to leave Cleveland empty handed they have some solid pieces they can trade. However the core won't look as good as NJ only has a few good pieces.
    3. Chicago-same as above.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Funny you say that, I think a lot of players make Houston their offseason residence. Aside from dream destinations like Miami I don't think is such a nasty place to live in lol. No state income tax means a lot I think...

20. elindio23

elindio23 Member

[​IMG]