1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

A-ROD on the move?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by wood, Jul 24, 2006.

1. wood

wood Member

Chicago Tribune reports A-Rod possibly being moved. Why can't the Astros make a bid for him? With Bags, Clemens and Andy coming off the books next year, can't the Astros afford him? The Yanks would maybe want alot in return for him....Package a deal that includes Endsberg, Taveras, Bucholz and Pence. That fills the void at third, speed in the outfield and two great prospects. And that move puts the Astros back in the contention of the wild card.
    2nd-Biggio
    1st-Lamb
    RF -Berkman
    3rd-A-Rod
    LF -Huff
    CF -Wilson
    C -Ausmus
    SS -Everette

Jim Hendry has pulled a rabbit out of his hat before at the trade deadline. But can the Cubs general manager top the Nomar Garciaparra deal of 2004 this time around?

It's not impossible.

While most people are looking at the Cubs just to be sellers, Hendry could add at least three intriguing players to change the face of the franchise. If you don't think he's exploring the availability of Alex Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu and Miguel Tejada, you don't know Hendry.

That's right, Alex Rodriguez.

It's hard to see Yankees GM Brian Cashman pulling the trigger on an A-Rod deal, but the two-time Most Valuable Player has become such a target for upset fans at Yankee Stadium that owner George Steinbrenner might decide to pull the plug. Rodriguez is a great player who has lost his confidence, first struggling to deliver runs in the clutch and recently bringing back memories of Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblauch with his errant throws.

ESPN analyst Steve Phillips, former general manager of the New York Mets, believes the Yankees should deal Rodriguez.

"It's become the thing to do in New York to boo Alex Rodriguez," Phillips said Sunday night. "When that happens in New York, it doesn't stop. Now you see it's impacting his performance. Ultimately I don't see how he gets out of this rut. I think they have to trade him."

If the Yankees let it be known they would move Rodriguez, a lot of teams would be interested. The Cubs are among the few who realistically could pursue a deal. They have both the financial flexibility and the parts to move back to New York.

Aramis Ramirez, signed through 2008 and lately killing the ball, would be welcomed with open arms in New York.

If the deal were expanded to include Jacque Jones, essentially making this one-stop shopping for Cashman, Rodriguez's biggest-in-baseball salary would not seem to be a huge issue.

Six years into his 10-year, $252 million contract, Rodriguez is due an unprecedented $27 million a year from 2007 through 2010. But the Texas Rangers so needed to get out from under their commitment that they are obligated to pay $52 million of that remaining $108 million.

Rodriguez has a full no-trade clause, complicating matters on the Yankees' end. But remember his visit to Wrigley Field during the 2003 National League Championship Series? He was shopping to relocate at the time, and Chicago was high on the list of places he would have liked to land.

Hendry, under as much heat as at any time since joining the Cubs, is motivated to make a move that improves his team and pleases fans. He could do both by adding Tejada, whom he has chased since last winter, or Abreu.

Dealing with the Orioles can be like banging your head against a wall. No one knows if owner Peter Angelos would really trade his shortstop for prospects, though it's clearly the right thing for Baltimore to do. Tejada isn't exactly taking the Orioles anyplace.

The same holds true with Abreu and the Phillies, though they're still on the fringe of the National League's wild-card race. He's 32 and signed through 2008 (including a club option for that season, which would be guaranteed with any deal), which is one year shorter than Tejada's contract.

Abreu doesn't offer as much power as Rodriguez or Tejada. But he's the kind of hitter the Cubs have been badly missing—a run producer who works counts and is a high on-base-percentage guy.

The Orioles and Phillies are looking for young pitching. The Cubs wouldn't seem to be a likely partner there, but never dismiss Hendry when it comes to putting together complicated trades. This should be an interesting week.

progers@tribune.com

Copyright © 2006, The Chicago Tribune

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't see him moving, but if he does, why not us...It's only $15MM/year, and honestly, its worth it for the playoff run as the Rangers are picking up most of the tab...

Besides, a new change of scenery will do him well, but I bet he'd want SS again, which I'm cool with...

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

If you acquire which I think there is little chance that the Astros do, you put him at shortstop not third.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If Steve Phillips says it, it's got to be wrong. A-Rod will be a Yankee.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Typical trash article that self-speculates and runs off with a story that never really exisited in the first place. Steve Phillips says Yanks should trade A-Rod! That must mean he's there for the taking! Geez. No real surprise this came from the Tribune. Same thing happened last year, when every media outlet was in a tizzy over Garnett trade scenarios, when he was never actually available. It's bush-league journalism trying to sell more papers.

When you see the Times write about trade talks and cites anonymous team sources, then you can consider A-Rod on the move.

Evan

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

steve phillips is an idiot. worst gm and analyst ever

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Im ok with A-Rod, i like Taveras though. Oh Well.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it is trash, but at the same time it's pretty crappy how ny fans boo a-rod. maybe they should boo their r****d GM who can't get any pitching and overpays for everything.

9. superden

superden Contributing Member

No thanks, this guy gets paid like none other... also, i don't want to give up anyone in the farm for him. Let New York continue to boo him.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

but the rangers are picking up a bunch of money on the deal. the yankees are paying $15 million/season right now...that's not too horrible considering his impact.

11. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

You are forgetting that Tejada will by at short. :)

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If you get a chance to get a guy like this, you get him....period. He is the reigning friggin MVP...he's got 21 HRs and like 80 rbis and is having an "off" year. That being said, he needs to be able to get the Knoblauch problems out of his system...unless we make Lamb part of the deal and have him play 1B. I dont see this happening but who knows...I didnt think we were getting Beltran either.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Though Harold echoed his sentiment, I am going to lean your way.

But that said, I will not be mad if we acquire A-Rod and have him and Lance as the cornerstone offensively. That will be sweet even only it a dream for now. A-Rod is reportedly not interested in leaving NY.

I do not mind Purp exploring the deal.

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

He is a great player but he can't handle the pressure. If fans' booing him can get into his head and affect his performance, then he'd better waive his no-trade clause and get his a** out of New York asap because once fans start it, they won't stop.

15. MadMax

you don't become a 2-time MVP without being able to handle pressure. the guy has over 2000 hits and 450 HR's after about 12 seasons of play. that's remarkable.

he was the MVP last year....IN NEW YORK! he's struggling right now. if the Yankees are short-sighted enough to get rid of him, then they're bigger idiots than i thought. you have to look long and hard to find a guy big enough to step into the shoes of alex rodriguez.

and absolutely...if the astros got him, i'd be ecstatic.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

ehhhh...

he's a world-class vagina. the yanks would be the second team to trade him after the mariners seemed content to let him walk away initially. that alone should rattle your cage a bit.

and speaking of vaginas, there's a lot of astro content in john heyman's "insider" article today from cnn:

uhm... please deal him yesterday.

also...
    hmmmmmm..... what's the thinking here? open up a space for... lane? scott? pence? taveras?

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

btw...
    really? the injury happened june 9... so how does timmy p explain morgan's batting averaging plummeting 50 points in may, when he hit .216 with a .779 OPS?

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

There is no way the Yankees are trading him by the deadline. If they do, it'll be in the offseason or next season. No reason for us to speculate too much now...

If they do deal him in the offseason though, we'll be in a good situation to go after him I think. We've got a ton of salary coming off the books, and need a big bat.

19. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

A-Rod ain't going anywhere. If I were him though I would be pissed at the Yankee fans constantly booing him. I think they have forgotten just how good he is. I wish he would come to Houston. We are good to our slumping guys down here and we would show him much love. Plus, he could do wonders for our bats. A fan can dream right?

20. MadMax

you can call a-rod whatever name you want...he's super-productive. he is very easily among the best players in the game today.