1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Quick Question Regarding HD Partitions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TISNF, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TISNF

TISNF Member

I'm setting up a new computer and noticed that the main drive is considerably smaller than the secondary drive. I did a little research and found at the reasoning for it (tasks and such), but I wasn't satisfied with what I came across.

Essentially, HOW is having multiple partitions really better? Safety? Speed/access? The reason I ask is if the main partition (it's Windows 7) has the Libraries to house the music, documents, videos, etc, what happens when the partition is full? Will it start saving over in the larger partition? If that's the case, why would Windows "encourage" housing of media in the smaller partition?

It's just a bit irritating since I'd like to not have to have files in multiple locations. My old laptop had a tiny main partition that filled up too quickly so performance was just horrendous (I would've re-sized the partitions but I was worried about losing some data and backing up was a major headache). Plus iTunes loved to be stubborn about having to have access to the main partition.

Maybe I should've just gotten...a MAC?