1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A question for all the old timers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BoyhoodDream, Feb 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

I'm just curious about something. I'm not old enough to answer it myself. Is the thresh-hold for pain signifigantly less these days. I mean, everywhere I look, star-players are injured left and right. Look at how many sat out the All-Star- game this year. And that's not including pansies through out the league like our very own Kelvin Cato. Is it me, or does it seem players are alot more fragile these days?

------------------

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It is happening with more and more frequency in all sports. I think (therefore I am [​IMG]) that most, if not all, players lift weights all year round, and the wear and tear on their bodies is the cause for some of the muscle and ligament damage. Another cause is that the players are bigger, stronger and faster. When these bodies collide, tendons and ligaments will tear and bones will break.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

3. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I think it's because the game is much more physical now. Sure, you here stories about how Bill Russell ruled the paint and slapped any guard who dared to enter, but Russell was not built like Anthony Mason or Karl Malone.

Just a thought.

(And why am I answering this? I'm not an old-timer [​IMG] )

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

One other thought, medical technology has come a long way, so what seemed like just a sore elbow back in the day can be more accurately diagnosed as a potentially serious injury.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

5. Curly

Curly Member

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the bank they are making now. Heavier wallets make for chronic lower back problems, high ankle sprains, and the perpetual reoccurring strained voice box.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not sure that is accurate. Has Cato been injured any more than Sam Bowie was? How about Bill Walton? We have more players playing longer now than ever before. Hakeem, Stockton, Malone and Ewing just to name a few all have more than 15 years. Their are others as well such as Kevin Willis and Otis Thorpe. Once upon a time players seldom played past 10 or 12 years. I do think you might see more nagging injuries do to the fact that the game is much more physical now than 20 years ago. But I don't see players as being any more fragil. Also you have to remember that due to the high saleries teams are much more concerned with the possibility of career threatening injuries now as apposed to 20 years ago.

------------------

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

More physical now than in the past?

K Washington
    D Dawkins
    M Lucas
    Mahorn
    Cartwright
    McHale
    Silas
    A Gilmore
    Unseld

Mango

------------------
    Spring Cleaning!!!

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Players are far more cautious with their bodies these days.

Little aches and pains are taken seriously, with as much money as there is floating around out there, can you blame them?

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It's true that the game is more physical than it used to be. But there are other reasons why more athletes sit out due to pain. The #1 change in society over these years has been technology, and medicine has been a big part of that. Team doctors and trainers have become far more prevalent, important, and sophisticated than they used to be. That means some injuries that used to be career-ending can now be fixed, some that used to take a year to heal can now be fixed and heal within weeks, and other injuries that used to be ignored or brushed off are now taken very seriously. In the latter case, the doctors project a return schedule, monitor the athlete, and tell the team when it's safe for the athlete to resume playing.

As for sitting out the All-Star game while you're recovering from an injury, I'm all for it. The AS game is an increasingly obvious joke. I want Steve Francis healthy to play for the team that's paying him.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Allen Iverson doesn't sound so good when you consider that if he hit a weight room in the offseason once in a while he wouldn't be playing with so many injuries. He reported to camp some 20lbs under what the 76ers wanted.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Will is definitely right about the technology of medicine. Another important factor is that players ARE more athletic. As a result, they get in far more awkward and potentially dangerous situations. How many guys in the 70's jumped as high as Vince Carter? Well, there were guys that did but not nearly as many as there are today.

Another concern I've seen voiced by some is the age at which kids begin weight training. It is beginning so early that there are concerns by many doctors and physical fitness experts that their bodies are being pushed too hard too soon. That could also be a concern.

Finally, there has been an increase in the average age men reach puberty from around 12 twenty years ago to around 14 1/2 now. That change is being attributed to the increase of female hormones fed to dairy cattle and passed on into the milk and cheese they produce. Women's age of puberty has dropped nearly 5 years since the early 70's when progesterone and other female hormones were first introduced into dairy cattle and the reverse has happened with men and boys but not quite to the extreme degree as women/girls.

The combination of these things has created greater risk for athletes and injury and the advanced diagnosis we are seeing has forced some players to the bench when they don't want to be there. After all, teams have to protect their investments.

------------------
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited February 12, 2001).]

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is an interesting theory. I guess maybe if I stopped drinking milk I might grow up!!!
    Seriously though I agree with both Jeff and Will. Especially about the weight work. I coach at a Jr. High. We start our kids in the 8th grade(it would be 7th but we do not have the facilities for this yet). However, some schools in our district start their kids lifting in the 6th grade. It makes our Jr. High teams mediocre some years(b/c we are behind in stregnth) but by the time they are in H.S. they have caught up to the other schools, and we don't usually see many serious injuries.

CK

------------------
    Quote of the year:
    "Look it's George Jefferson"
    Charles Barkley commenting on Nuggetts coach John Lucas.

13. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm just bringing this issue up because I look around the league and I see a lot of guys sitting out to injury, and probably for good cause. And then I look at Allen Iverson. This guy is simply amazing. I think he's quickly becoming one of my favorite players in the NBA. I mean, this guy takes a beating night in and night out. We've heard him play with twisted ankles and hurt wrists. "Just tape it up coach, and put my ass back in the game". See, you got love that determination and heart. Even our very own Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley are like that. It kills them to miss games. And I know I'm not alone when I say this: I really wish there were more Allen Iversons in this league.

------------------