1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A potentially new way to use Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by agentkirb87, Dec 3, 2008.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I saw them use Yao in a pick and fade a few times like we used to use Juwan Howard. Like, Yao would set a pick for whoever (Alston, Artest, Tmac). They would go towards the basket and generally take 1 or two guys with him, leaving Yao wide open at the baseline.. and he can hit that shot with regularity.

It solves the "Yao clogging the lane" problem. And it would be a good tool to use when teams start fronting Yao or trying ball denial in general. Have Yao go to set a pick on the ball handler, and if Yao goes to the baseline rather than run to the basket, someone is going to be open.

Worst case scenario, Yao gets a mismatch when someone has to rotate to cover him.

2. MD_in_Training

"It's amazing how Yao is such a great ft shooter, but a below-average mid-range shooter."

- JVG

3. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I don't buy it. He'll hit the fadeaway baseline shot, but he can't hit a standing jumpshot? He's made like 3 out of the 4 wide open shots he's taken from FT distance. I figured its just another option we can use him if they are trying their hardest to post him up. Sort of how big guys like to take jumpshots because Yao gives them the shot. People will give Yao that shot because they are afraid of him in the post.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

82games says Yao is a 38% jump shooter.

5. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

I believe he used to have med-range shot, but he lost it after few year with JVG. He just need to practice it to get it back.

6. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

There's no reason he can't hit that shot with practice.

7. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

The sample size is way too small. 38% is probably 3/8 (37.5 rounded up). 8 shots isn't a good indicator of how good he is. We don't know where in the offense he is taking these shots. Maybe he's stuck out of the paint with 3 seconds to go and they gave him the ball. Maybe it was a desperation shot at the end of a quarter... we dont know.

And I just think its a good idea for when they try and front him. Have him pick off the ball handler's guy... then go to the baseline. Someone is going to be open. And its not like they can just switch on the pick. Then you'll have a small guy on Yao and he'll destroy him in the post.

8. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

Isnt that good for bigs? specially a 7'6 310 lb big? but still, most of his shots shouldnt be a midrange jumper. he belongs in the post dammit

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yao isn't a below average jump shooter, that's bull. He was below average with JVG because JVG wouldn't let him take those shots and therefore Yao only took them when he had no choice (shot clock running down).

If he only takes 1 a game, then he usually will miss it, but i'm sure that's all mental since he rarey shoots them. In games where he shoots at least a few he usually hits well over 50%. For example, In the Spurs game i believe he was 3 of 4.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Also, Yao's free throw shot and mid range jumper are practically the same thing, he doesn't really jump on either. If he shoots 90% FT, i'm sure he'll shoot about 60% during a game, of course you have to keep him within a reasonable range, (about 17 feet and in)

11. OCballfan

OCballfan Rookie

are some of you listening to what you're saying?

Yao 7 feet 6, he shouldn't take shots out of 15 feet lol

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

few years ago i actually thought why not do a pick and pop with yao at the free throw line and he does a shot like how he does his free throws, but then i looked at his free throw routines and he takes about 3 secs to shoot one.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like yao taking that ft line shot or on a pick and pop. Its just another way for him to score. He's a good enough of a shooter, that should be like a layup. Once he makes it money, the defense will come closer which will open the baseline for cuts. Its really a confidence thing, he can make that shot.

14. soysauce

soysauce Member

He only makes it when he is WIDE open and has his feet set

15. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

It's happened a couple of times this season and its sort of worked. You obviously don't use it as your first option. If they aren't fronting him, the best option is to probably post him up. Remember those games in Indiana and San Antonio when they would go small and just put two guys on Yao? Thats when you have him pick and pop. It forces them to guard another attack. Even if they rotate perfectly, it will get Yao 1 on 1 with someone. No way a defense can guard a pick and pop perfectly AND have 2 guys on Yao, without leaving someone wide open on the 3 point line.

16. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

Free throws and colluding shots are Yao's most offensive weapons, now we just hardly see Yao make mid-range shooting, but tonight he did it. Im happy to see his "new" weapon, Yao's skills are very well, this is a goos signal to us. Yao can be more efficient, and we can win games easier. :D

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's always wide open, the majority of centers won't go out and cover him that far out and being 7'6 and his shooting form being high, very few defenders can block his shot or bother him when he's facing the basket.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why not? How tall was Sabonis? Nesterovic? Ilguaskas? If he can hit it at 50% or better then he should shoot it. I get the logic in what you're saying and that's that being so tall he should shoot from where he's most efficient (in the post), but is he really?? In the post he's being pushed, doubled, rushed, off balanced, fading away. at 15 feet he's standing still and shooting a wide open shot. Like someone else mentioned, the post makes sense if he's one on one and can take the defender, but if he's being doubled and pushed, then you have two options. either you forget about him and pretty much call it a night since the team is rarely effective is Yao doesn't produce, or you can let him get his points in a different way.

19. OCballfan

OCballfan Rookie

yes he can knock down that shot and has a decent touch but come on you gotta utilize his length here to get better (closer) looks at the basket. Now the pick and pop would be used to perfection if the opposing center was Shaq who is fat and lazy to step out/

...maybe its also useful when they're down in the shot clock and thats an open shot but if it were my team, I wouldn't want my 7 foot whatever center taking shots from that far off the basket

20. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

This is Yao Ming 7'6 I do not want another Patrick Ewing developing. The problem with Big Men shooting jumpshots is they fall in love with it and stop attacking the Basket. Im afraid when Carl Landry develops that jumpshot its going to take away from relentless inside game. Antoine Walker use to have a good inside game but he fell in love with the three and look where he is.

Leave the Jumping shooting centers to soft players like Memhet Okur

Yao Ming belongs in the post as close to the basket as possible