1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A nice new boring wall street scam that nobody will notice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, May 18, 2010.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Long article but worth reading, basically the DOJ exposed that the "GIC" market, one that I don't think anybody even barely knew existed before, has basically been permeated for an entire decade to defraud municiplaities out of billions.

In brief, state and local governments, when they store their (our) money prior to spending it, keep it in the form of GIC's, a Guaranteed Investment Contract, which basically operates as a CD. So the way the process works is that the municipality goes to a broker who is supposed to solicit offers from investment banks who offer competing rates on the GIC's, obviously the highest bid is supposed to win.

That's not what happened however, apparently the brokers, mostly a firm called CDR, placing the GICs were colluding with the banks (the usual suspects, BOA, Lehman, Citi, JPMorgan, UBS, Bear etc) - in exchange for a kickback, the brokers rigged the bids, which resulted in the banks paying far lower rates than they would have otherwised paid - basically resulting in money being taken from taxpayers and lining the pockets of the scammers.

And now, with state and local gov finances in shambles, a few extra billion would have probably come in handy.

http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/2...finance-converged-with-mortgage-meltdown.html

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

As long as we keep luring smart, ambitious people into a "profession" without the slightest of moral anchors and the very slightest of public oversight, these stories should not surprise anyone. One of the ways to make banking reform legit is to make it simple and boring again.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't disagree with your statement, but this isn't about some too smart for their own good bankers coming up with some **** eyed scheme to make money.

this is old fashion corruption

4. SamFisher

I don't really think anybody here was particularly smart or ambitious (in fact I'd guess they ranked towards the bottom of the I-bank food chain), and the details weren't particularly complicated - it was just pure thievery in an obscure market that nobody was paying any attention to.

The sums involved in each transaction were small by wall street standards (five-six figures or so) but theere were so many of them it added up to billions.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

But Cummadore said we should not loot from Wall Street Achievers - down with the DOJ :mad:

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

never heard of this, but it's not surprising that corruption is all around us...the financial advisory firms like CDR are unregulated, but I have to believe the govt. will get them on something, maybe something through the IRS...

7. SamFisher

The IRS was the ones who turned them over to DOJ and that's how they've been indicted. A number of employees already pleaded guilty.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yeah, i'm assuming they didn't report their kickbacks on their tax statements

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The more I learn about finance the more unsavory it gets..

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You can say that with any field that greatly rewards competition.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's another data point. If, as you say, dumb unambitious people are stealing millions, what are the smart, ambitious ones doing? We already know the answer... they're running the country into the ground and laughing at the rubes (us) who allowed it to happen.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is more than just competition. This is corruption.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Does finance really greatly reward competition? It seems to me that it really rewards collusion, but I'm an outsider.

14. SamFisher

Finance is especially prone to information asymmetries, and rewards people who recognize them, including both ones that are artificially created by smart people whor recognize perverse incentives, like mortgage bonds and CDO's and the derivative instruments, or by obscure people in small markets that nobody pays attention to, like the GIC scam mentioned here.

Though, in both of the above examples, I'd say collusion is probably a better metaphor here.

Unless, of course, you're Goldman Sachs, in which case you're a mere "market maker" who just matches buyers and sellers, no questions asked - no different than craigslist. :rolleyes: