1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A new paradigm: How to construct a roster around Howard.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Member

I believe that the new model for franchises going forward under the current CBA is:

1 MAX contract: $20 million
    2 Probable all stars: $12.5 million each
    3 NBA above average quality players: $7 million each
    2 NBA journeymen: $3.5 million each
    4 Rookie contract players: $1.4 million each

That puts the franchise at just below $70 million. Ideally a franchise would only run at this salary level 3 out of 5 years, to avoid the massive repeat offender classification.

We have a set off assets to trade including D-Mo, Jones, White, Parsons, Martin, 2 first round picks, 1 conditional first round pick, 4 (?) second round picks.

You could construct a team next year with Howard, Iggy, J. Smith, Lin, Asik, and Lamb. Probable cost ~ $64 million, leaving the ability to bring in a player (PG?) for the MLE, and draft picks. Substitute whomever you like for Smith and Iggy. So a starting lineup sorta like:

Lin
    Lamb
    Iggy
    Smith
    Howard/Asik

That team would not have a cake walk to the finals, but would be extremely dangerous for years to come. It most probably would be a top 3 defensive team, and Howard, Lamb and Lin can pour in some points. Iggy and Smith aren't bad either. 20, 16, 16, 13, 13, 78 ppg from the starting lineup. Estimating 92 ppg on the defensive side means that the bench needs to bring 20 points a game to be a serious contender.

That folks is about the best you can do, unless you have an owner willing to fork over $70 million for the luxury tax. That is not who Les is.

#1 jtr, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

lol. that team can win a championship. wow.

#pipedream #willneverhappen

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

pack the paint

4. jtr

jtr Member

Well, hopefully Lin and Lamb can develop into into + defensive presences. That would lower my estimate of the opponents ppg to 89.

5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

What is the obsession with Iggy? Guy is massively overrated. Smith needs to get his head on right and stop shooting ill advised 3s before he can be a quality role player imo.

I think building a team around Howard requires:
    1) A good PnR PG who can shoot. Lin is good @ PnR but his shooting is still a work in progress, he also needs to learn to use his left to be a complete PnRer. It would be cool if somehow we can turn Lin into CP3, but that is more a pipe dream than anything else.

2) Good 3 point shooters. Dontas and Lamb are a good start.

3) Another tall good outside shooting big man. Again Dontas is a good fit.

4) A clutch player GO TO player, Howard won't be this unless he becomes a better FT shooter. Lin or Lamb could become this or maybe it will be found elsewhere.

5) A solid 6-8th man. Sacrifice 9-12th spots and fill them with underpaid, never playing players. A solid 8 man rotation is what often times wins titles (10-12 man rotations usually win in the regular season, not playoffs).

1 person likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

you do realize that Lamb will be the player Orlando chooses right?

7. jtr

jtr Member

Iggy and Smith are only there as examples. But you do have valid points. Feel free to modify my post as you see fit.

8. jtr

jtr Member

I do not think we give up both Martin and Lamb. Could be wrong of course. But they are both our SG's on the current roster. And Martin is required to make a Howard/Roster trade. I personally do not know. Your guess is as good as mine.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

As much as I would love getting Iggy and Smith, I don't know how realistic it is.

In the short term, Brandon Rush or Jodie Meeks look like good fits. If we send out Lamb & Martin in a Howard trade, then our SG position would end being Rush/Richardson, not bad. Dead eye 3 point shooters.

10. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

#hashtagsonlyworkontwitter

11. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Need shooters around Howard. Need rebounding PF who can also score from 10-15 ft out. Howard demands dbl teams. PnR PG makes Howard's life on offense easier.

12. jtr

jtr Member

I believe he understands that. Maybe he was using hashtags to express his opinion? I do not have a clue.

13. jtr

jtr Member

With my (biased) example the front court of Smith (destined to be not on the Hawks roster next year after b****ing about it for 2 years), XXX and Howard would only need deadly ranged shooters. Good observation though.

14. haydenfisher342

Lin
    Lamb
    Iggy
    Smith
    Howard/Asik

This is a complete possible outcome for Houston I believe. I did the same thing in NBA2k12 but instead of howard I did Bynum. I absorbed contracts of Hedo, Jrich, and Duhon, while keeping Lamb. One thing you would have to do is get rid of Hedos contract somehow in a trade along with Jrich. or hope next year they dont want to play for Houston and they opt out, which is highly unlikely so you have to trade him. You would have enough room to add Iggy and Jsmoove and extend max contract to Bynum. While not even messing with the MLE.

15. jtr

jtr Member

A totally valid observation. According to Bima's salary cap FAQ we have tons of cap room. Morey is good enough to package the garbage and move on. Howard/Bynum - not much difference: last year they graded out about the same both offensively and defensively.

16. prs325

prs325 Member

Remember that other players will accompany Dwight when he gets traded (Richardson, Duhon, Turkoglu, Davis - any 1 or combination of these players) and it will add to the salary structure of the team.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just a side note to your idea which I see as viable -

Les is paying Scola's salary not to play for his team .... Just to give Morey the flexability / possibility to put together something like you imagine .... Hard to call him cheap or even insinuate he wouldnt spend the $$$ to put a winner on the court.

18. jtr

jtr Member

I totally agree. Les is not cheap. But he is not going to throw bad money after good money. I believe he will fund a championship contender. Not Cuban or Buss, but a good owner.

19. jtr

jtr Member

I totally agree. That is why I did not put any of the bench out there, except for Asik. It honestly has to many permutations for me to understand. Thanks.

20. toby

toby Member

I'll take parsons over iggy.