1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A good interview with Yao on Sina.com

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by caowenyu, Aug 27, 2008.

1. caowenyu

caowenyu Member

here is the link:
    http://2008.sina.com.cn/cn/bk/2008-08-27/1540261303.shtml
    I tried to translate some pieces information relavent to Rockets using my laptop. After spending 1 hr, I touch the backspace key on the touch by mistake, and all mywork gone. too late here, cannot do the translation again this late. Hope some1 can do it, there are some thing you guys would like to know.

The most important thing in the interview is yao said he expect he would be able to rest in the summer at least next yr to take an operation on his shoulder.

he will devote himself totally to rockets next season.

I will do the translation tomorrow if no1 has done it by then.

here is the follow up.
    I did not translate all. only something i think relevant.

Q: Did you talk to artest on phone?
    A: Yeah, some greetings words. There is something else which is just between him and I. I’d better not disclose it here.

Q: with some new players and it’s professional sports, we all don’t want to see you guys exit in the playoff’s first round. I know you cannot give us a fixed answer right now, but you must have an expectation for it, is that right?
    A: We talk about this every yr and we have failed in getting out of the 1st round every yr so far. So we should do is to talk less and do more. That’s it.
    Q: So talk less and do more. Let’s see wut you big 3 will bring to us in the very highly expected season.
    A: Please don’t use the splendid words like big 3 on us, we should get each step done well first.

Q: Let’s suppose you failed getting out of the 1st round again next yr, would you jump out of your contract in 2010?
    A: I have not thought about this yet. I am focusing on preparing for the new season right now. I don’t think I am a person who can focus on many things at the same time. I like to get the right-now things done well. I put all my heart on CNT in the summer. I am going to put all my heart to Rockets in following winter and devote myself. That’ it.

Q: You have been playing in NBA for many yrs already and you have been busy in every summer. Actually a lot of people care for you. We understand this summer was for the Olympics and there should not be any debate on it. But from now on, the following summers, will you rest in summers and get prepared for news seasons?
    A: I thing I am going to have my shoulder treated next summer. It’s been 2 yrs. The doctor’s advice was that if I were a baseball player, I must have the operation without delay, since it requires a lot of strength from shoulder when you play baseball. Once I have the operation, it will take half a yr to rehab at least. So I postponed it till now. I am afraid I have to get it done next yr.
    Q: you are not a baseball player, so how long do you think it may take to rehab?
    A: I don’t know. I never have any operations in my shoulder. I am using a lot of conservative method to treat my injuries. I hope I don’t need to take the operation.
    Q: Ok, so it’s still a question mark. Can you feel it?
    A: yeah, I can hear the sound in the shoulder.

Q: are you going to attend next Olympics game?
    A: it depends on my body conditions. I have been playing for the CNT for 11 yrs already. I’ve been playing for CNT every summer and 5 yrs CBA and 6 yrs NBA in winter. I mean even a tire need some require some rest, using a spare time to get some resting time. I don’t mean that I am going to play for the 2012 Olympics. However if you really want me to play in 2012, then in the 3 summer preceding 2012, is it possible to make some adjustment? You cannot let me play for it with an injured leg, only 70%or 80% or even worse efficiency. You expected a healthy Yao Ming to play, is that right?

Q: it’s hope of all the fans at least. You should take a rest next summer at least.
    A: hope so. But it’s very complicated. It’s related to something like the CNT’s qualification for the world cup. But the CNT should be ok in asia games even without me.

#1 caowenyu, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

3. caneks

caneks Rookie

Don't waste your time for all trashes on sina.com

4. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Nope, I don't think it is a waste of time. At least, there is one poster who love to read. Looking forward to the translation.

5. ccjj

ccjj Member

That's a real Yao Ming interview...

host: .......what else do you want to talk about the Olympic?....
    Yao : I am glad I am not the one who lightup the final torch....
    Host: LOL... you are too heavy.....

Typical Yao style humor.

6. boby

boby Member

The funniest part I read was Yao mentioned he felt very sad when S. Bradley retired from NBA. (After the host talked about Yao been the tallest man in Olympics and NBA and drew way too much attention when he hugged LJ).

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I vaguely recall the shoulder injury. What exactly is wrong with his shoulder and what type of surgery is he planning to get?

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I read from somewhere, it is "muscle tear" on the shoulder. Do know what type of surgery is required, but it is going to take months to recover fully.

9. saleem

saleem Member

Labrum tear. Labrum is a cartilage which forms a cup for the humerus(arm bone) to fit in within the glenoid(shallow shoulder socket) better.

10. boby

boby Member

Someone really need to translate this article because this is the first time I heard Yao CLEARLY states that he doesn't want to attend any CNT games in next three years. For 2012 Olympics, he said it 'depends' although actually he said 'no' to me if you read between the lines.

11. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

Translating is not easy so thanks for interpreting the little bit that you did caowenyu.

12. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

omg, shoulder, praying to god, that he is good to go next season

13. i3artow i3aller

Wait, what the hell? Yao needs surgery on his shoulder? Someone better clear this up and fast. How has noone mentioned this?

14. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Member

This news is old. He's been playing with it for some time now. If you do a search in the GARM you will find threads about it probably dated around 2006. He plays with it. Quite a few players play through torn labrums (?). Eddy Curry and Lamar Odom have played with one. Yao supposedly does rehab to strengthen the muscles around the labrum so it won't get worse.

#14 rocketsregle, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  15. i3artow i3aller

You are a life saver regle. I was like whoa whoa whoa, you've got to be kidding me that he did this during his Olympic run. I should have known though. I have had a growing suspicion, though more of a gut feeling of the most genuine kind that this season is ours for the taking.

16. ableli

ableli Member

the following is the should injury part from the interview, I translate it for the rox.but my English sucks.pls bear with me. :D

host: what's more, you have played in nba for several years.you are always busy and tried in every summer.actually,there are a lot of people really concern and feel distressed about you, next summer, can you really have a
    good rest for preparing ext season?

yao: i am afraid that i have to have my shoulder injury taken
    care of next year.it has haunted my for 2 years.it started at
    the Basketball Men's World Championship 2006.my doctoer told
    me then that if you were a baseball player,An immediate
    operation was indicated.because throwing a ball need great
    strength from should. once you had an operation ,you had to
    at least rest half year for the recovery.so,i didn't do
    anything about it. i am afraid that i have to do something
    about it next year.

host:you are not a baseball player.how long it can be got
    over?

yao: is is hard to say.because i didn't have an operation on
    it.i had an operation on my foot.i know the recovery time.i
    hope that is it.i hope it does change. now i use conservative
    treatment aginst my shoulder. i really don't want an operation.

host:well, you are still not sure about it.can feel the pain
    now?

yao: yes, i can hear there are sounds come from it.

host: where did you hurt actually?

yao: a tendor was broken.not broken , kind of be torn.

host:due to chronic fatigue also?

yao:no. is was acute injury.i hurted myself by a sudden move
    in 2006.

17. 31W

31W Member

I hope Yao will be ok nest year

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Whoops! I just translated parts in another thread. Here's my (American) version:

Well, this Chinese report sounds pretty bad if it's true.

VERY quick rough translation of key parts:

YAO MING HAS HAD 13 MAJOR INJURIES; SURGERY NEXT YEAR ON HIS TORN SHOULDER TENDON

. . .

Yao said: "Next year [summer] I'm afraid I will have to do something about my shoulder injury; it's been dragging on for two years now, since the end of the 06 World Championship. At that time the doctor gave the opinion that if I were a baseball player, which requires great shoulder strength, I would need surgery, but I wouldn't be able to play for half a year. So I have dragged it out to now. But I'm afraid next year I'll have to have it treated."

. . .

About the seriousness of this injury, Yao explained: "I can feel it. You can hear something inside. A tendon snapped. Not snapped, but tore. It's an acute injury. I remember in 06 an abrupt movement was what caused the injury."

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2008-08-27/16123906452.shtml

19. laowan

laowan Member

Yao is a lier.
    He lied on the "Jackson Hug". Come on,Jackson said "I love you",what's a big deal.
    The previouse time Yao lied was the "....is the biggest loss in my carrer" saying.

20. JustLynCHN

JustLynCHN Member

That I love you saying is created by media's wild imagination, nobody should say he/she can prove it.
    Just leave it alone, bro. It's just a hug, take it easy.