1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 year old girl playing high school basketball

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Lol. I'm sure this "Elite Mixtape" doesn't show the times when she's been stuffed by the high school girls.

Looks quick out there though, good for her.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Correct these things, and then maybe we can talk:
    CARRIES the ball (Check it @ :26, 1:23, among other times). Those look like passes. If I were ref, I'd call it and explain to her coach why it's illegal.
    Commits OFFENSIVE FOULS with off-hand while dribbling. I'd explain this to the coach, too, when there is a timeout or play is not going on.

She looks good playing because all her defenders are LAZY and don't cover her appropriately. Against the all-white girl team at the end, there are about three or four defenders who just look at her, with disregard for her offensive potential. If someone covered me like that, I'd look like Michael Jordan.

She has a nice shot and is fast, though. :eek: I'll give her that.

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Why is a 4th grader playing high school basketball? :confused:

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Private school.

6. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Her brother is like 11 and apparently plays varsity ball

7. conquistador#11

give me some #54 on the rockets so we won't let jay, from silent bob and jay strike back, out rebound us.

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

A challenger has risen for paulstfk.... Money on the girl.....

1 person likes this.
  9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

lol awesome

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Swoly, Sadly, that seems about right for a girls team. My sophomore boys teams lights up the varsity girls team in scrimmages. Nothing to be proud about. Its just a different level. That little girl has some skill. I'll give you the carry and the hand clearing, but thats very fixable. Especially at this young age.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It's like watching Muggsy Bogues again.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

thought she was gonna be playing with boys like sam gordon..

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The problem is that she is so small, defenders can't actually defend her without fouling her. My nephew is going through this right now. He's on the 7th grade team and is huge in comparison to most of the kids. He gets 4-5 fouls per game simply because the small kids run in to him and fall down... or trip over his enormous feet.

So, he does what you see many of the high school girls in this video doing. When the little girl drives past the bigger girls they basically have to let the 9 year old past - and you see that because they pull up from their run and just put their hands up. She only drives in like she does because the bigger girls are afraid to foul her.

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Pretty impressive especially for a 4th grader. Reminds me of the Julian Newman story about the 5th grader playing varsity in Florida:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XsvrPNVkmic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Handles and shot are impressive for a 9 year old, regardless of size/worry about fouling stuff

17. Svpernaut

It is much easier to shoot when you aren't actually being guarded. I'm not saying her skill level isn't impressive, and it is probably good she is playing up - but varsity on a private school team isn't that amazing.

My nephew goes to a private school (Fort Bend Christian), and I was at a basketball tournament (Hillcroft) with them this past weekend made up of private school and public school teams - and some of the private school teams had as few as 6-8 players. Also, the size discrepancy was enormous.

My nephew is about 170lbs and 6' tall, and on his team he has kids that weigh like 90 pounds and are about 5' tall - same age. The public school teams don't have players that small - because they have a larger pool to pick from.

My nephew's team finished second out of about 35 7th grade teams, and lost the final by two points. Overall good weekend, but the level of play for about 80% of the schools was pretty pathetic.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Anyone guarding that toddler who does not block every shot he/she takes in a game should be benched.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

She's a 4th grade girl who can shoot a running, full-speed (high speed) layup with bigger people on the court. She's a 4th grade girl who can execute a quick crossover properly, with proper footwork. She's a 4th grade girl who can nail a high school 3 pointer with form appropriate for someone lacking strength, indicating the shots shown aren't a complete abnormality for her.

Her skills are impressive for a 4th grade girl--qualifications on private school and whatnot don't matter to me in this case..

20. Svpernaut

The highlight of the weekend tournament I was at were the coaches yelling at the bigger kids to not let the small kids take shots. "He's a foot shorter than you, how are you letting him shoot?!"

Also my nephew's coach getting T'd up for yelling "He's just bigger than they are!" after they called a foul on my nephew for a tiny kid running straight into him and falling over.

Believe it or not, tons of kids her size and age can shoot that well. Private school parents pay tons of money in private lessons. I saw a kid about 4'10" hit 7 three pointers in one game on a full size court this weekend. I hated the kid for being better than me.

Her ball handling is the most impressive skill she shows.