1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610am John and Lance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sjackson0, Oct 31, 2003.

1. hardeji

hardeji Member

610 in the morning is terrible. I also commute and don't listen to it much anymore for the exact reasons listed in others' comments.

I think it's the "Lance" guy that has the girlish little high-pitched giggle that gets under my skin like a tick. He gets even more excited when he's got McKinney on; tries to be too buddy-buddy and giggles alot then. Attempts alot of humor that doesn't really fit with the 30 to 55 aged crowd (who are the typical listeners).

That said, there is virtually no discussion of sports on 610 in the morning. They need to line up some B12 coaches on a weekly basis from across the league. That would probably stimulate some interest in Houston.

2. AB12

AB12 Member

I think John and Lance are the best duo on 610. Not only are they funny, they are also totally sweet. And by sweet, I mean totally cool.

But seriously, the show topics are largely caller driven. Add to that Lance's expertise is football and John's in baseball/football.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

On Steve McKinney is worth listening to (barely bearable). Carr and Glenn just plain suck.

It is really a gift and it has nothing to do with how good you are on the field of play. On the Rockets those that I think can give good talk on the radio are Amaechi, JJax, MoTay and Pike.

Now in the case of the 610 morning crew, it is obvious that they are not as intelligent and knowledgeable as Rich and Charlie. In truth you can only discuss what you. Please we should do away with the "he is a football guy" talk. If you are a radio head you MUST be versed in all major sports. Especially in Houston where we HAVE 3 MAJOR LEAGUE TEAMs. There is no excuse for not BALANCING your program to cater to the needs of Houston's great diverse sports populace. Shame on John and Lance. The Texans voice guy that comes right after them is even not that better than them. The only 610 radio host other than Charlie who I believe is intelligenty and understanding enough to incorporate the concept of ballance and broad knowledge of many sports is the guy that goes after Rich and Charlie (I believe his name is Matt).

4. A-Train

A-Train Member

Plus, I love that sound byte they play during the evening show that starts with a beer bottle being opened and some chick with a sexy voice says, "OOOOH! It's Miller time with Rich and Charlie...so join me...."

I never thought you could get a stiffy from listening to the radio...

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I'm still boycotting 101 for breaking those two up. :mad:

I like John and Lance, but [rant] I'm getting tired of all the talk about the gambling line and football for dorks (ie. fantasy football). Some of us are huge sports fans and couldn't give a sweet rats ass about the over/under or who to play in our gay fantasy league. [/rant]

I like when Steve McKinney is on. The guy is hilarious. I still like Slocum on a Mobile too.

6. Another Brother

Let's get Mike Edmonds and Ed Fowler back!:D

Hopefully they read this, they would probably read it on the air. They are cool, I'm just a little tired of "Slocum on a Mobile".

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Really, I prefer it when they just joke around about random stuff. I listen for entertainment.

8. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

610 in the morning with John and Lance is the best sports duo in Houston by far, Rich nad Charlie suck compared to John and Lance.

That being said I do agree that the Rockets need to be discussed more and maybe with someone that has some actual knowledge of the game.

A lot of times you can tell that John, Lance, Rich and Charlie don't really watch the Rockets games because they really don't have a clue who is playing better or worse or what actually happened in the games.

9. Willis25

Willis25 Member

my point was not that football player in general are better than the Rockets players on the radio -

just they don't put the well spoken Rockets on the air.

... I like Glenn - but you are right about Carr, he can toss the ball, but he SOUNDS like a college kid

10. Nero

Nero Member

The afternoon show on 610 (charlie: 'We call it The Afternoon Show' palillo) is without a doubt the worst radio listening experience on the dial. I finally just had enough and started istening to Chris Baker on 950 instead.

There is no bigger idiot in all of radio sports broadcasting than charlie palillo. Rich was not so bad when Kenny hand was with him, but since they have been 'reunited' from their 740am days, I have to say, as a Houstonian, there is nothing worse than having to listen to those two New Yorkers talk about New York sports all day, and hockey, and Yankees baseball.

I have never heard a CALL IN TALK SHOW 'host' be as rude, condescending, belittling and insulting to his listeners and callers than palillo is to the people who call his show. Listen for just 5 minutes and count the number of times he interrupts callers, interrupts Rich.. what irritates me the most is when he says something like 'Go ahead, caller' and as soon as the caller begins to speak, charlie cuts him off to go off on some unrelated tangent for 30 seconds before he deigns to allow the caller to speak.

The only thing less funny than someone who is genuinely not funny is someone who is genuinely not funny who THINKS he is hilarious. That's charlie. He's a moron, plain and simple, and how he has managed to keep a sports radio job, in HOUSTON no less, is simply beyond comprehension.

All those dips who call in and their first words are 'Hi Rich and charlie, I love your show.' are just saying it in the hopes that charlie won't interrupt them and cut them off before they get to say 5 words.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Charlie can be arrogant

but people get equal time to make points, know matter how stupid their point is.

12. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

if you think there isnt enough rocket talk than call the show and bring up a rockets topic, simple as that, like someone else said the callers dictate the topic of the show mostly

btw rich and charlie rarely talk about new york sports ur wrong about that

13. Willis25

Willis25 Member

... YES, BUT.... Charlie IS an arrogant, angry little man- that he is correct about !

14. shady1

shady1 Member

Ok, who is the annoyking guy Monday mornings that comes on and talks football for a freaking hour?! I love football and don't mind listening to football talk but there has to be SOMEONE out there that they can get on the show besides this guy and his cartoonishly THICK Texan accent.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Man, Nero. Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back. :D

I agree about the non-funny part. I think the afternoon guys try too hard to be as funny as the morning guys. It doesn't work. And they do talk too much about hockey even though they never get any calls about it (thank God). But Charlie is a smart guy with a lot of sports knowledge and the few times I've emailed him, he's always replied back.

If you want more humor and less knowledge, listen in the morning. If you want more knowledge and less humor (or bad humor), listen in the afternoon.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

True story,

One day John McClain was on Rich and Charlie's show talking about Chris Chandler. He was talking about how rude, condesending, and arrogant, and how he didn't want to help tutor Steve McNair, McNair's rookie year. He didn't want to help a guy who was eventually going to take his job which your really can't blame him for.

Anyway, I was the next caller up when John finished ranting on Chandler. When they came to me I said,

"Hey John, you sure that Atlanta quarterback's name you were describing wasn't Charlie Palilo."

Charlie said something when I hung up,

I felt bad, I think I really upset him.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Agree 100%. I love the morning show, but the afternoon show is unlistenable with Charlie at the mike.

As for you guys who still listen to KLOL after the Grego, Pruit and the Boner split....Why? I gave those two goons they have on air now exactly 1 month. That was 1 month tooooo long. Those guys are flat out terrible. Not an OUNCE of humor. Ever.

KLOL will never be played on my car/home radio ever again.

18. padgett316

padgett316 Member

Call the station and complain? What are you, nuts? It's a freakign call-in show. The reason John and Lance never talk about the Rockets is because NO ONE CALLS IN AND BRINGS THEM UP!!! For the last 4 years, they've drawn 10,000 a night and royally disappointed, excuses or not. The reason they talk about the NFL/College Football all the time is because those are hands-down the 2 most popular sports in the nation, even more so in Texas. You think the station doesn't do some sort of research for this? If the Rockets were of interest, there would be players' shows, GM shows, coaches' shows, experts' shows. Instead, they've got McKinney, Carr, Glenn, McClain, Capers, Casserly, etc. They're not idiots just because they don't pander to the minority of the listening audience. Anyways, John and Lance are very entertaining, if you you're listening to any morning radio show and expecting something of substance, you're in the wrong medium.

Also, Rich and Charlie are legitimate pros who were raised in a more intelligent sports market than Houston provides. There's generally a damn good reason that Charlie cuts off callers after 30 seconds - because 75% of the nuts call in 3x a week and re-set the exact same damn questions and 'takes'. Thank God for Charlie's quick trigger. I've nearly driven my car into the wall on 59 listening to callers second-guess Capers' play-calling on Mondays.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude I think thats on the money.

"What can we get for Bagwell"

"Capers is conservative"

"Drayton doesn't want to win"

Blah Blah Blah

20. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Member

I work 2nd shift so I listen to Mark Vandemeer.

I like his show.