1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

43% of Republicans could imagine supporting a military coup in the United States

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HamJam, Sep 10, 2015.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I'm sorry my Republican oriented fellow Rocket fans, but this is sort of concerning to me:

43% of Republicans could imagine supporting a military coup in the United States

Could some of the Republicans on this board who are part of this 43% (or some of the Democrats and Independents who do as well) please speak up and explain yourself -- because it seems like a completely insane position to me?

2. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Trump will be at the Campsite directing the army through the spoke wheel of D.C.....Palin AKA Lisa Ann will be the official recruiter.

3. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Sorry to make this a joke first, because this thought itself is laughable at this moment.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it just means that Democrats have very poor imaginations.

1 person likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Republicans are a bigger threat to America than ISIS.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I just imagined it.

7. HamJam

Those are both funny quips -- but what isn't funny is that a large percentage of Republicans would support a military coup.

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I would support a military coup.

I mean it works in Turkey and Egypt to put the religious fundamentalists in check. ;)

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What I would really prefer is one of the Republican bastions split a state off and let them have it "their way". As if the disaster in Kansas hasn't been clear enough.

10. Mr. Clutch

They could imagine a situation where they would support a coup.

Similar to when people claim their gonna move to Canada if a Republican wins

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was a bit flip in delivery, but I'm actually serious. The way they word that question -- 'Is there any situation in which you could imagine yourself supporting the US military taking over the powers of the federal government?' -- is so expansive that I'd sooner reproach people for answering No. Surely there is some crazy hypothetical in which a coup will actually look like the preferable course of action, and if you can't think of one it speaks to your lack of imagination.

But, that there's a partisan discrepancy says to me that people are not honestly answering the question anyway, but that they answer rhetorically -- Republicans saying Yes to stick it in the eye of the Feds, and Democrats saying No because they know Republicans will say Yes. It's just a barometer of displeasure and I don't think it's much of an indicator of what people will actually do if there's an actual coup. Talk is cheap. Let's have a real coup and then see who says what (much as I feel on Trump -- people can love him now when pollsters ask nonbinding questions, but will they have the courage of their convictions when they go into a ballot box to actually cast a vote that will seal their doom for the next 4 years?).

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Why should we be spending billions of dollars starting wars in the Middle East when we could be spending billions of dollars starting wars right here in America?

13. HamJam

I think both of you are trivializing the results of this survey in order to make Republicans look better than they actually are.

14. Mr. Clutch

I think you are trivializing the results of this survey in order to make Republicans look worse than they actually are.

15. treeman

treeman Member

I'd tend to agree with JuanValdez, it's just a matter of being able to imagine a situation where it might be a preferable course of action. For example, if we ever had an administration that attempted to order unconstitutional national seizures of all firearms by the military, I'd certainly prefer a coup to the military attempting to carry out such an order, as it would likely not only preserve a constitutional cornerstone but also prevent vast amounts of needless bloodshed and a likely civil war.

See, that's not hard, is it?

16. HamJam

But...I'm not trivializing the data, so...

On the other hand I just realized this is a really small sample size on this survey, so maybe trivializing the data was actually the right thing to do.

Sorry folks, didn't notice the small small sample size-- I wouldn't have posted this if I had. Mea culpa.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think everyone could imagine a senario where they would have to fight the government and over throw it. . .

in fact I think Hollywood does it every few years and makes millions of dollars by filming and distributing it

Rocket River

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree with this.

I mean, HYPOTHETICALLY if Adolf Hitler II suddenly came to power in the US, I would probably support a military coup to overthrow him.

19. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

If we find out that aliens have been here for decades and are controlling the US government for nefarious reasons, I would absolutely support a coup.

As Juan said...it's all about imagination. Conservatives seem to get off on doomsday fantasies, so I would assume they could envision countless scenarios that would require a coup. It doesn't mean they are any more grounded in reality than the alien example I used.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The 43% want a strong man to make America great again.