1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread (FBS Version)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 3, 2024.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I know it was just Rice, but pretty excited about this season.

A lot of players were redshirted last season since we were bowl-ineligible. We started 0-8 but 4 of those losses were by less than 1 score and 2 were in OT. We also finished the season 3-1.

Looks like we have a QB this year and Keeler seems to have finally embraced the move to FBS. I feel like it will come down to us and Liberty for the conference and we have them at home for the last game of the season.

If UCF is expecting another New Hampshire game next week, well...

2. leroy

leroy Member

I don't think the pundits were mostly aware that we had redshirted so many players. I can see us going into that Liberty game at 7-4 or 8-3. I think we play a bowl game this year.

Mostly I just want to beat TX St so I can shove it in my brother's face. He thinks they have a shot to go undefeated even though they just barely beat a still-FCS Lamar.

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to the next game and getting into conference play.

4. leroy

leroy Member

Another good win over Hawaii. NMST next week for the 1st conference game before the TXST game at NRG.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

That was a helluva win. Apparently Bowers was literally sold out. Don't know that I've seen that since the Air McNair game against Alcorn State back in the day (which I attended).

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

semi finals against Montana in 2011 were pretty crazy (people sitting on the hills).

NM State looked alright. It wasn't the best. QB threw for under 50% with 2 interceptions. They'll have to play better when they actually face a good team.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Hoping this isn't all fools gold. Rice is horrible so Hawaii is really their only quality win.

We will find out a lot this weekend vs. Southwest Texas.

8. leroy

leroy Member

HOW ABOUT THAT!

Down 22-0 after 1 and come back to beat Southwest TX 40-39.

4-1 with UTEP on Thursday

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

We've won 7 of the last 9 FBS games.

5th best team in Texas according to Dave Campbell's rankings. Ahead of such teams as TCU, Baylor and UH - all in the Big 12.

Never thought I'd see the day...

10. leroy

leroy Member

There’s a reasonable chance we’re 10-1 headed into the Liberty game…which is at home.

11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

If we're 10-1 I'm going to that game. Last game of the season, at home, weekend after Thanksgiving. could be great.

12. leroy

leroy Member

I'll meet you there. Can probably get my son's student ticket since he doesn't give a crap.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Good game last night. Got a little sloppy at the end when we took Watson and a lot of the starters out, but it was 34-7 at that point and the 7 was only due to a flukey fumble in the end zone before the half.

I love how this team is running the ball and controlling the clock now instead of relying on a gimmick offense like in the Southland FCS days. Also love these Thursday night games that give us more national exposure.

Well earned bye week next weekend, then Western Kentucky at home on a Wednesday night. On ESPN-U!

14. leroy

leroy Member

All I want is us to get to that 10-1 or even 11-1 (if we can beat Liberty) and to get actual top 25 votes. I want nothing more than to hold this over my brother's head who played for SWT in the mid 90's. I've been giving him s*** for years because they've been mostly useless since moving up...only making a bowl game last year in Frisco after over a decade in FBS. I want to be able to say that not only are we going to make a bowl game in our first eligible season, but we actually got votes.

That's the dream now because it's not like we're ever playing for a national championship ever again...unless the PAC 12 comes calling?