1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FVV & his future here

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 19, 2024.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FVV has been a stabilizing influence for us. He's performed admirably, on and off the court, helping this team grow up. Great job.
    But, I always assumed that contract was going to be a facilitating piece, in a move for a star.
    While I'm sure there are some that see him as an integral piece moving forward, I'm guessing he's gone by next year's deadline...at the latest.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

For him to be gone there needs to be a replacement. There’s also zero problem with him expiring and us signing a FA over needing to trade him.

FVV played at an allstar level for us this year and is a perfect fit on court and in the locker room. I’m not to eager to ship him out for a lateral move just to get a more shiny name. If we can retain him long term I think we should be open to it.

His value, due to him being paid handsomely, and not being a sexy name, is not much on the trade market. We have plenty of less important salary filler we can send in a trade for a star (Brooks, Jeff, Landale, Tate is enough to bring back a 50 mill salary) If a star comes, we are in win now mode, and FVV is a guy you really want here.

justinh, joshuaao, Dobbizzle and 8 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Offer him an assistant job and that is surely cheaper on the contract side......

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If we draft Reed Sheppard, his departure will happen sooner than otherwise.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think you sign Reed, and you give FVV year 3, and then trade him after then as an expiring.....and either Reed or Amen plays PG.

DD

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FVV was everything we could have expected when we signed him. He was overpaid for a player with so many limitations, but was inarguably a huge stabilizing force the young team needed.

However the the team will need to renounce his bird rights in order to create cap space, meaning there doesn't seem to be a clear window to add that way and keep him. That could change if we swing a trade and don't have to renounce rights. I sure wouldn't mind keeping him because he's at worst at great 3&D game manager that will fit into any team construction.

Dobbizzle and No Worries like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Seeing as FVV is the only PG on the roster, I suspect that he will complete his contract here and may even sign an extension.

evo8lover, NewAge and J.R. like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If we draft Sheppard, he'll come off the bench and learn from FVV for a year and then the Rockets will move on and go with Sheppard, Cam, and Amen for the future.

If the Rockets go a different direction in the draft, like picking up a 4th center, they should probably pick up FVV's option since he'd still be needed to hold things together.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don’t see Fred being traded.

And with all due respect, you thought John Wall (‘s contract) would also bring back a star. You thought Christian Wood would bring back multiple firsts.

And if all this talk that Amen is actually a forward and not a point guard, Fred just might stick around a few more years.
    *To be clear, message board fan talk, not Rockets FO talk/leaks

#9 J.R., May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    joshuaao, Little Bit, ElPigto and 6 others like this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would wait to see how well either Reed or Amen actually plays as a NBA PG.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's what next season is all about.

AroundTheWorld and No Worries like this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This 1000x

No Worries likes this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He’s gone the moment we start paying Sengun/Jaylen. The math just doesn’t work out in retaining him otherwise…and that’s also why he has team options and I believe a declining deal(while the cap is rising with cap smoothing rules) - effectively his contract is as built to move in the back end of it.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree that a big reason they were comfortable structuring the contract the way they did was because if a star became available he is automatically an expiring contract they can use as salary filler, but I don't think the Rockets will be looking to him as the first option to unload. Especially if they opt to add somebody like Clingan in the draft. At that point, you can combine Dillon and Adams for 37 million in salary. Landale adds another 8, getting us to 45 million. We also have people like Jeff Green and Ja'Sean Tate that can be included.

I think they would love to keep FVV around for the duration of his contract and resign him to a much lower amount after it expires. Hell, wouldn't be shocked if Udoka would eventually like to add him to the coaching staff. He's exactly the kind of guy that thrives as a coach.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Fred is not going anywhere for many years to come. He’s only 30 and is the most important player on the team. we have a 3rd year option and then we get Bird rights. why would you let him go? That would be Front Office malpractice.

FVV is more important to this team than even Conley is to the T-wolves. Conley is almost 37 and he signed for another 2 years. Fred is only 30.

That’s a silly discussion.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's not.

Amen or another will play up top.

The whole idea was to provide team structure on the front end, and use the contract along with assets for a star, later.
    This was never going to be a longterm deal, guys.

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

If the Rockets go for Trae and the Hawks keep Dejounte (i.e. not a full rebuild), FVV makes sense going back as part of the deal for the salary matching and position need. I totally agree that FVV has been great in his role, but if the right move comes along, you've got to take it.

Plowman likes this.
  18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

FVV's deal was about providing leadership to the young core, but also flexibility for roster moves. The team option let's him be an expiring contract this year or the next. He's also maybe young enough to be re-signed, although hopefully that is unnecessary. There's no rush to move him. If we're still reliant on FVV next year and there are no good deals, we can just pick up his option and shop him the following year.

If Amen is ready to take the reigns as a primary PG, that makes FVV very expendable. If we add another PG through the draft (Topic, Sheppard, or Dillingham) or via free agency (Tyus Jones), it really shows he's not here for the long-term. I personally think his best fit would be in New Orleans, where they've been running CJ McCollum at point even though he's a natural shooting guard. FVV and a draft pick for Ingram's expiring would give us a lot of height and length across our lineup.

joshuaao, theDude and Plowman like this.
  19. a time to chill

FVV may be here for at least 2 more seasons if we can't find another capable PG. I'm for drafting a PG this year and have him develop for 1-2 years while FVV is here. Ideally we could trade FVV right before his contract is up for a FRP or a player.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think this makes sense--you judge your needs at, not next season's trade deadline, but the one afterward. Then either let him expire or trade him for whatever upgrade makes the most sense.

With the caveat that if Amen is playing great and looks like the best point guard on the team the first couple months of this upcoming season, that could change a lot of things.